When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Why To Buy A Replica Buy Genuine

panerailord

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like a rep because I can wear it whatever, whenever and when I drop it or scratch it I just shrug and use it as an excuse to get another. I horribly damaged a gen once and was in a shitty mood for a week or more. I do that to a rep of the same watch and just shrug. The variety is nice as well.

A wise friend of mine once said that collecting reps is like masturbating…. The trill is to seek, searching, reading, thinking and finding that perfect piece, but the day after you receive it, you feel empty inside!

Then it all starts over again… :unsure:

That is a very deep psychological diagnosis of my problem ;)

...and it's true!!!

But that is the whole fun about reps!!

It doesn't matter if you have a rep that is 99% accurate to a gen, it just doesn't feel right. Wearing a gen, you know in your heart that its real and you just have that confidence wearing the watch. How many of you guys would wear your rep to an AD and roll up your sleeves? Its the feeling you have wearing a nice gen that you worked hard for and not afraid to show it off.

I love wearing my gen IWCs, Zenith, GP.... etc and telling people about the watch and the history of it. I can't do that with a rep and a straight face. I only buy reps for watches that I would NEVER purchase a gen of. (Panerai, Omega PO....etc...). I like to wear them casually.... and nice to keep as part of my collection and have a nice variety. But if it's a watch you genuinely like and want, buy the gen.

For me, its like downloading MP3s. I only download songs that I would listen every once a while and an artist I don't care to much for. But if its an artist that I truly like and enjoy listening to, I'll buy their CD. I mean, they worked hard on it, and they deserve getting paid for it.

I do wear my reps, sleeves rolled up or short...depending upon the rep of course...

Again, I feel it depends upon your collection.. which is dependent upon your

learning and patience before buying, and determination upon receipt.

Add that to the total package of where you are in life, or the deep inside knowledge

that perception is bought or sold totally upon how you present it....

I have seen some men climb out of a old automobile with style, speaking with their attitude,

that this auto has sentimental value, proven longetvity or is an project in progress...

their impression is deeper that one that is presenting only money,.. which as we all know

can drop from the sky in the form on inheritance, or luck.

I also know from my private studies of men wearing watches on one of the most

pompous boulevards in the world ,.. that watches in motion, accompanied by the

full package of clothing and matching personality is a part of perfect picture that

only a shallow person will try to shatter... and the rude deserve no respect....

It doesn't matter if you have a rep that is 99% accurate to a gen, it just doesn't feel right. Wearing a gen, you know in your heart that its real and you just have that confidence wearing the watch. How many of you guys would wear your rep to an AD and roll up your sleeves? Its the feeling you have wearing a nice gen that you worked hard for and not afraid to show it off.

I love wearing my gen IWCs, Zenith, GP.... etc and telling people about the watch and the history of it. I can't do that with a rep and a straight face. I only buy reps for watches that I would NEVER purchase a gen of. (Panerai, Omega PO....etc...). I like to wear them casually.... and nice to keep as part of my collection and have a nice variety. But if it's a watch you genuinely like and want, buy the gen.

For me, its like downloading MP3s. I only download songs that I would listen every once a while and an artist I don't care to much for. But if its an artist that I truly like and enjoy listening to, I'll buy their CD. I mean, they worked hard on it, and they deserve getting paid for it.

I'd wear my DW 6263 at an AD. I would even pass it to them!

Chances are your replicas will get more wrist time than your genuines, that is a well-known statistic. (Minus those genuine airheads who refuse to accept the fact that replicas have its place in the market these days)

Replicas of today are well-constructed at a miniscule of the price of a genuine. What more drives the economy of this industry? Cheap prices, 90% and above capability of passing off as a genuine and more and more "wants".

Genuine watches have their flaws too. Go to timezone and you'll be able to located articles posted by owners who [censored] about their "real McCoy". (ie. A genuine 187 owner who had his chrono sweeping hand dangling behind that Monerai sapphire crystal) For that kind of price, you should expect perfection. That is a sad fact that most replica owners tend to believe. Well, you can bet your $$ that a genuine is equally susceptible to quality controls and mishaps as any other replica. Not to mention, the amount of dineros you have to fork out for a one-time service fee at your local AD.

It all boils down to how deep your pockets are and how passionate you are about your time pieces. There's no 2 person alike in terms of these correlations. Some are rich enough to purchase a half a million time piece and choose not to, instead love collecting and modding replicas. On the other hand, you have this barely making it to feed his/her family kinda folks who insist that wearing a genuine will elevate them up to the "social higher grounds" and spend their last $$ on an inflated piece of metal + movement. Go figure.

Such is life.

Edited by sennsi

Here's my "take" on that.....Go ahead buy a gen...then when it breaks, good luck trying to get it fixed for less tan the price of 2 or 3 nice reps!!

My gen Omega dynamic chrono stopped working, and for the price of fixing it, I bought 2 very nice Rolex and Panny reps...Meanwhile, the broken gen Omega sits in a drawer!!!...And I can wear any of my reps and STILL know what time it is!!

Here's my short and sweet answer. If I were Bill Gates or the Prince of Wales I would have a mighty nice collection of gens. But I'm not and I LOVE watches. When I was 8 years old I collected Swatch watches. I wore several Casio digital stopwatches when I was in Elementary School. I wore FM, Rollie, VC, Breitling and many other very nice reps when I was in High School! Everone who knows me knows I LOVE WATCHES! My passion for watches is deep rooted for whatever reason :g: .

I too tried to own just one 'good' watch. That went really well (sarcasim), let me tell ya! I bought a Gen Breitling last year. Spent $2500 on it. It was second hand (just 3 months old), so I bought at the depreciated price :thumbsupsmileyanim: but I still got all the paperwork and warranty info so it was like owning a new one. I rolled up my sleeve and wore it into several ADs. Guess what, the sales people in those stores are STILL [censored]! So how did my gen experience work out? I said, "this is the one, the last one I will buy! No more watches for a long time!" What actually happened? Two weeks later I wanted this one and this one and this one, and maybe even this one. Not to mention I felt like I couldn't even wear it to work. What the hell is the point? I spend $2500 on a watch and can't wear it 5-6 days a week?!? So long story short, I sold my Gen Breitling, got back my hard earned money, paid off some bills, and bought 5 or 6 VERY NICE reps! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

So whats the moral of this story? If you buy watches like crack, buy what you can afford. If I had a net worth in the millions I wouldn't hesitate to buy Gens up like candy. Hell I'd make a trip of it. Fly to this place to buy this watch. Fly to that place to buy another. Hell half the fun IS in the chase! But in actuality, I'm a college student, I work full time for less than $30000 a year. So I instead email this guy to buy this watch, email that guy to buy that one, and they fly them to me! :D

@Panerailord, sorry to hear about your bad experiences w/ reps. Buying/modding reps can become expensive, BUT ALL HOBBIES DO! So why not buy a few inexpensive reps (asian movements etc) and learn to mod them yourself? Invest in some tools, learn from The Zigmeister, RBJ, and other's posts, and HAVE SOME FUN!

:victory:

Jon

Bignasty, my apologies if I misunderstood your post. But shouldn't you be buying a watch because you love it to bits? I dunno about you but expecting an AD to treat you with "respect" just because you wear a gen is just wishful thinking (& niave) imo.

Bignasty, my apologies if I misunderstood your post. But shouldn't you be buying a watch because you love it to bits? I dunno about you but expecting an AD to treat you with "respect" just because you wear a gen is just wishful thinking (& niave) imo.

No I was actually making the point that no matter what you wear into those AD's they are going to be [censored]. Several people have commented in this thread that they "feel better" wearing a gen, which to me is ridiculous! I buy watches because I do love them to bits. I wear watches with pride because of the same reasons. Why I love watches, I do not know, but I do so I'll probably keep on buying them. As I get older and my income grows larger I will more than likely begin to include more gens into my collection. But unless something drastic happens I will always include reps in my hobby! Oh and I will gladly wear my reps into an AD a feel confident doing so, afterall I'm not going to hand it to the AD and say "hey check this out, respect me and worship me because I have this $10,000 watch, oh and while you are at it here's my income statement, and why don't you run my credit too!" :whistling: Sorry but I'm not nearly that shallow, not even close. I should too probably mention that when I did wear my Gen Breitling into an AD I was also wearing flip-flops, jeans, and a t-shirt with pride I might add! :thumbsupsmileyanim: Feck em, feck em all!

Jon :yu:

Edited by Bignasty

No I was actually making the point that no matter what you wear into those AD's they are going to be [censored]. Several people have commented in this thread that they "feel better" wearing a gen, which to me is ridiculous! I buy watches because I do love them to bits. I wear watches with pride because of the same reasons. Why I love watches, I do not know, but I do so I'll probably keep on buying them. As I get older and my income grows larger I will more than likely begin to include more gens into my collection. But unless something drastic happens I will always include reps in my hobby! Oh and I will gladly wear my reps into an AD a feel confident doing so, afterall I'm not going to hand it to the AD and say "hey check this out, respect me and worship me because I have this $10,000 watch, oh and while you are at it here's my income statement, and why don't you run my credit too!" :whistling: Sorry but I'm not nearly that shallow, not even close. I should too probably mention that when I did wear my Gen Breitling into an AD I was also wearing flip-flops, jeans, and a t-shirt with pride I might add! :thumbsupsmileyanim: Feck em, feck em all!

Jon :yu:

LOL @ "feck em all"...haha

Jon, I got your point crystal clear. :) Thanks for clearing it up. Yes I fully agree that watches should not be bought to show off how much it is worth in $$ but rather how much you value the watches based on the simple fact that you simply like them.

LOL @ "feck em all"...haha

Jon, I got your point crystal clear. :) Thanks for clearing it up. Yes I fully agree that watches should not be bought to show off how much it is worth in $$ but rather how much you value the watches based on the simple fact that you simply like them.

@ Quarks

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

and

:victory:

I think if PaneraiLord doesn't feel buying reps is "worth it" then he should not buy them. It's just a hobby, and both reps and gens are completely unnecessary toys in the grand scheme of things. I don't think it matters in the least what your motivations or finances are. You should do -- I know this sounds crazy -- what makes you happy.

But frankly the "revelation" that one should buy gen instead of reps is an entirely personal one and I do not believe constitutes some kind of definitive, objective insight. You can question pretty much any way in which people choose to spend their money. There was a kid on TimeZone who was talking about getting extra student loans to buy a Panerai because he can't wait till he gets a job and can afford one on his own. Is this a smarter or more admirable decision than buying a rep or buying a Casio? Is this less of a pretension to status than just buying a fake watch? I personally would say no, but hey, to each his own.

Oh and I will gladly wear my reps into an AD a feel confident doing so, afterall I'm not going to hand it to the AD and say "hey check this out, respect me and worship me because I have this $10,000 watch, oh and while you are at it here's my income statement, and why don't you run my credit too!"

Isn't that what fundamentalist Paneristi do ? :rolleyes:

Peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...

@TJGladeRaider; that's why i love a brand like Sinn so much; not that i love all there models but some are magnificent AND have a fair price!

btw. I was looking at pics of Davidsen's 201a and when I compare it with a gen I don't enjoy it 19.720usd more :lol: so especially when it comes down to panerai i really don't get the high prices and imo it's sooo not worth it.. i like panerai, i must say i never heard of it before richemont took over but i really don't like the company behind it (richemont) and same goes for brands like rolex, although i really like the rolex watches...

:g:

I wear mine into AD's all the time :)

Also I'm assuming when you are using the word "you" in this paragraph you are really saying that's how you feel and not making a generalized statement about others.

Again I love to wear my reps and tell people about the watch, quality, price, etc. I even start to talk about the "flaws" (which pretty much anyone who isn't a WIS would never have even noticed) and how they can be modded/fixed.

@TJGladeRaider; that's why i love a brand like Sinn so much; not that i love all there models but some are magnificent AND have a fair price!

btw. I was looking at pics of Davidsen's 201a and when I compare it with a gen I don't enjoy it 19.720usd more :lol: so especially when it comes down to panerai i really don't get the high prices and imo it's sooo not worth it.. i like panerai, i must say i never heard of it before richemont took over but i really don't like the company behind it (richemont) and same goes for brands like rolex, although i really like the rolex watches...

:g:

PRECISELY my point.

A gen manufacturer has all the advantages. They can buy parts at the best prices from legit sources in commercial quantities, and they can invest in tool/die equipment without worrying about raids or confiscation. They can advertise openly and distribute with no concerns and they can offer warranty and service that consumers can believe in - no matter who your rep dealer is, you cannot know for sure that he will be there in five years when your watch craps out.

NOBODY buys a rep in preference to the gen - price being equal.

post-223-1148840916_thumb.jpg Joshua Could use this as a catalog shot -- :thumbsupsmileyanim:

The watch in the middle is an Ollech & Wajs and I believe they manufacture that watch for Sinn as well. That watch, from the manufacturer, with the genuine Valjoux movement cost me a little more than $600 (I bought a dozen watches) which was the same money that people pay for a first quality Swiss Valjoux rep - and the rep costs more if you get it seviced. Street price for that watch is about $800 if you shop it.

post-223-1148842115_thumb.jpg post-223-1148842164_thumb.jpg post-223-1148842200_thumb.jpg

To me that watch, is the proof that the Swiss could beat the rep industry - who is ever going to rep that and try to compete? In other words, the Swiss cartels have a "rep problem" because the greedy bastards created it for themselves. If Uncle Rollie started selling subs at $1000 each, the rep industry would evaporate, but they cannot do that can they - that would be to admit that they screwed everyone they sold that watch to previously.

I also have a box of gen Revue Thommens - same argument. First rate Swiss watches at a price that is a value for the dollar, as opposed to some smoke and mirrors marketing myth.

If a watch man wants to sell me a watch, I expect value for my dollar, if they have other intentions, I have that handled - and she's better at it.

Bill

I'd wear my DW 6263 at an AD. I would even pass it to them!

I have done this numerous times with my DW's along with my MBW's as well. To me, my 'frankensteins' mean more to me than any of my gens, simply because I've had a hand in making them what they are.

I wear my reps far more often than any of my other watches...

the Swiss cartels have a "rep problem" because the greedy bastards created it for themselves. If Uncle Rollie started selling subs at $1000 each, the rep industry would evaporate, but they cannot do that can they - that would be to admit that they screwed everyone they sold that watch to previously.

Wow, good point! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I wear mine into AD's all the time :)

Also I'm assuming when you are using the word "you" in this paragraph you are really saying that's how you feel and not making a generalized statement about others.

Again I love to wear my reps and tell people about the watch, quality, price, etc. I even start to talk about the "flaws" (which pretty much anyone who isn't a WIS would never have even noticed) and how they can be modded/fixed.

Yes those are my personal thoughts and is not meant to be a generalized statement about others. But nothing is. This just comes down to personal preference. Why does someone need a $250K Ferrari when you can get a brand new Kia for $9K and does the same thing?

I came from Timezone, and I'm very open minded when it comes to gens and reps. But my roots of collecting watches lean towards gens. Obviously the posts here will favor reps because this is a rep board. Post this topic at any gen board and see what the replies would be. Anyways, I love my gens and reps. But will I ever stop buying a gen I really want because there is a rep of it? Nope. I have a gen IWC GST Chrono that there are a tons of reps out there of.... but I would never consider selling it to own a rep of that watch and purchase other reps.