When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Your Favourite Soccer Goals

Victoria

The Che have made a good start. 1 point behind leaders, Barca. Away to Sevilla on Sunday night.....should be a cracker.

They were sorely exposed by Chelsea though a couple of weeks ago and somehow lost to Rosenborg last Weds.

Have to agree about Kenyon but I think that you will see Avram bring dignity back to the proceedings, you just see. He's a humble man with a terrific knowledge of the game.

What did you think about Gerras little word with the ref last week? Espa

Edited by Emmzy

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Che have made a good start. 1 point behind leaders, Barca. Away to Sevilla on Sunday night.....should be a cracker.They were sorely exposed by Chelsea though a couple of weeks ago and somehow lost to Rosenborg last Weds.
Hmmm, so it's not just us having a nightmare in Europe then? ^_^

Have to agree about Kenyon but I think that you will see Avram bring dignity back to the proceedings, you just see. He's a humble man with a terrific knowledge of the game.
You really think he'll last the season in that role? C'mon he's just warming Hiddink's seat ;)

What did you think about Gerras little word with the ref last week? Espa

Lots of Chelsea bashing eh!

HAH!

V. Teddy is a great guy but I can tell you he has no intention of managing anyone.....seeing his days out at Colchester right now and heading to a non football rest of his life.

Emmzy, last I heard, Teddy has taken his manager exams (or whatever that is called), and said he wanted to finish out his career as a manager of a football club, strongly intimating it would be Tottenham.

Next England manager.......Martin Jol....no, sorry......Jos

Never mind Busby, I was referring to 'Sir' Bob Paisley, winner of 8 league titles, 3 European Cups....yet never honoured by his country. Disgraceful :angry:

Ah, too right.

I'm betting none had ever been near the Bridge pre-Abramovich? Gloryhunters make me sick. I have friends in Cobham and I refuse to visit as the whole place reeks of the club. Nouveau riche ignorant inbreds. Sorry just my unbiased opinion :lol:

Actually, no. I'll give them that. They were Chelscum supporters even in the lean years. I myself used to accompany them to matches in the now defunct Terrace.

I beg to differ. Why else is Beckham's obscene salary being paid for partly by the MLS??? Will it work? That remains to be seen IMO. Journeymen European players like Abel Xavier and other pension-seekers will not help.

Because Beckham is Hollywoodesque.

I predicted this move in 2000. It came to pass, because those two are the most UNENGLISH people I have ever seen come out of our land. They're almost Princess Diana-esque in their media savviness, and modern catwalk attraction.

You won't see a Beckenbauer or God forbid, Pel

Neither does the fact that he single-handedly carried his team to two world cup finals, winning one of them.

Single - handedely? True he was the heart beat of the team but there were fine displays from the likes of Makelele, Trezeguet, Desailly et al.

Zidane was superb but lacked the gallic flair and ability of the great Platini against whom Fabregas is the closest modern day equivalent, him and Darren Fletcher :D

Again, I love me some Zizou, but 14 career red cards do not lie.

Yes they do. Tell me how many of those were for dangerous career-threatening tackles? I'll tell you. Zero. Mostly for petulance, the occasional temperemental shove nothing worse. Compare that to the 11 reds from Roy Keane, the man who purposely set out to injure players he felt a grudge against. And in the case of poor Alfie Haagland, ended his career.

Another fact that does not lie. Zinedine Zidane - FIFA World Player of the Year a record-equalling three times (1998, 2000, 2003).

@ Emmzy - Zidane both as a player and his achievements far outstrip Platini, I honestly can't understand how anyone can argue to the contrary. Maybe it's an age thing? :p

Yep, docblackrock, that's the one! The fan, as you have promptly realised, is my wife not really me... Which only will make most men in this board think I am an even luckier bastrd... :p However, she does not like watches... <_<

:lol: unthinkable in my household!

p.s. please send Heinze back in January - you greedy bastards bought virtually everybody this summer, and anyway you know he really wanted to come to us, and god knows we actually need him right now.

France 1998 team was outstanding. I think Zidane's effort in the 2006 World Cup was even more impressive. He was clearly the best player of the tournament. He was "majestic" out there.

As a team France 2006 reminded me a lot of Bilardo's Argentina 1990. One star player orchestrating everything (Zidane/Maradona), 1 striker (Henry/Caniggia), and the rest of the team was all turtle defense. Not very entertaining to watch, but this kind of tactics has been successful in short cup tournaments (see Greece 2004 European Championships). Italy's tactics in 2006 wasn't all that different, either.

It's not good for football, but that's how it is these days.

Yes they do. Tell me how many of those were for dangerous career-threatening tackles? I'll tell you. Zero. Mostly for petulance, the occasional temperemental shove nothing worse. Compare that to the 11 reds from Roy Keane, the man who purposely set out to injure players he felt a grudge against. And in the case of poor Alfie Haagland, ended his career.

Wow, you're the first quasi-Irish chap I know that doesn't defend Keane. I'm impressed!

Please see my reply to the first part of your statement below.

Another fact that does not lie. Zinedine Zidane - FIFA World Player of the Year a record-equalling three times (1998, 2000, 2003).

That's because he has a duality, both on the pitch and off of it.

Have you seen him up close? If he passed you by, you'd think he was a skinny, balding nonentity whizzing by with hunched shoulders in a Member's Only type jacket. But engage him in conversation, just to say, "Good job! Love your skills", or some such, and his face transforms itself into a sweetness, a delightful charm which is as honest as a child's.

Materazzi is an idiot, and he "went" there referencing his mum or sister, it was never conclusive what he said. Pel

Zidane lacked flair? :huh::blink:

Platini was a beautiful player....Zidane can't be described as beautiful, ........effective, clever, strong, willing etc. but not beautiful.

Look at some old vids of Michel P. you'll see what I mean.

BTW. Chelsea 6 Man City 0

Chelsea are now playing sexy football again, adios Jose, Hola Avram.

Edited by Emmzy

Platini was a beautiful player....Zidane can't be described as beautiful, ........effective, clever, strong, willing etc. but not beautiful.

THANK YOU. Have people here seen Platini not just in 1 minute clips but in a whole match?? God, he was exceptional.

Again, I repeat that people tend to appreciate most what is the most recent, the ones they have judged with their own eyes. There is some validity to that, but definitely it's not what should prevail, overall.

Another thing that disturbs me is this "He didn't win it all" mentality. Well neither did Puskas, but that man could more than hold his own around Zidane. So could Cruyff, and so could Beckenbauer...all very different players, indeed.

By all means, Zizou = best European player of the past 2 decades. Best European player of the past 50 years...IMHO, no.

You'd think Jesus Christ had landed on the Moon. :lol:

I do, and it was pretty funny. In order of tabloid importance:

- Man stops goal with his legs.

- Belgrano is sunk

- [if Jesus landed on the moon with a surfboard]

- Diana forgets to put seatbelt on

- Paris Hilton

- Six in a bed footballer romps

- Page 3 girls

- Amusing parrots

- News

:animal_rooster:

Check this goal from a goalkeeper. Makes Beckham's half way effort seem almost tame... :p

:animal_rooster:

I love Six in a Bed Footballer romps!

Check this goal from a goalkeeper. Makes Beckham's half way effort seem almost tame... :p

Fantastic. :)

Something about goals not coming from open play doesn't seem right to me though, for whatever reason.

Here's controversial loudmouth, and legendary Paraguay goalie, Jos