When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Some Shots of the IWC Doppelchronograph

Victoria

Speaking of which I read somewhere that they used the movie logo not the real Tog Gun weapons school logo.. can anyone confirm or deny that??

Yes, the logo on the watch is the one from the film (i.e. fictional).

The other thing I don't like about the watch is the oversize date window, which I would find more distracting than useful. They could have used a regular day/date window and placed the IWC logo around it rather than placing it at the 9 o'clock position. Also, I wonder why they didn't go with raised hour markers at 3, 6, 9 and 12 (like on the 3717). Are those hour markers still lumed?

• 2 weeks later...

Great movie but the watch looses all interest having "Top Gun" so prominently displayed on it. Its not quite as bad as putting Sylvester Stalones name (or the like) on an otherwise very desireable watch. This is simply just not horology its Hollywood....great for the young and the Gunfixated but nothing for the dignified ones

g. B) (give me that axe of mine and I'll...)

Just for fun.... Does anybody really know what watch Cruise was wearing in the movie...? Does not even look like a chrono.

Incredibly, I always thought it was an IWC! You mean to tell me it's not, Chrgod? That sucks.

I checked the reference site for watches in movies once given me by Fitmic, for which Puggy has added some info:

http://jitteryjim.com/?page_id=432

Nothing on Top Gun. And watches play a big role in that film...

Ok darling. Your words "yet another reason" suggested that you were using the Tarantino scene in the video that Pugwash posted to support your statement that Tarantino is one of the most overated directors (except for Reservoir Dogs). I understand differently now :)

Of course Tarentino is overrated. That's what he pays his PR people for. He's a genre director, but at least he made up his own genre: ironic homages to genre pictures or whatever. And he does write some of pretty interesting dialogue,e.g. the scene w/ Dennis Hopper and Christopher Walken in True Romance . Film geeks give him a hard time, but he's not trying to be Greenaway or Tsukamoto or some other art guy. He's a mainstream movie maker--His compettion is James Cameron and Clint Eastwood who pass off Arron Spelling TV shows set on big sinking boats and WWII battlefields.