When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Some Shots of the IWC Doppelchronograph

Victoria

Yeah... B)

"This is Ghost rider, requesting a fly by...."

Slider: Goose who's butt did you kiss to get in here anyway?

Goose: The list is long, but distinguished.

Slider: Yeah, well so is my Johnson.

:lol:

I guess the true Navy/ USAF pilots does not earn enough to buy the Doppelchronograph,

US Military Pay

http://money.cnn.com/2003/03/20/pf/saving/..._pay/table.html

Almost everyone in my family reached at least the level of Captain. This is what they would earn in the US.

O3 Captain 2 years or less $34,934.40 $52,869.60 $56,833.20

Competitive intra-service...but horrible considering their education.

but rather uses a G-shock, Timex Ironman or some Chase-Durer [censored].

Which reminds me of that thread I posted...Watches of War, where I wondered what kind of watch the pilot husband of a friend of mine was wearing -- given to him in training in Pensacola, FL.

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=323788

Never did find out. Probably a Casio G-Shock.

It's nice, but I'll take the 'regular' limited edition ceramic doppel instead.

My reasoning:

1. I ain't no pilot

2. If I was going to buy a watch that would forever remind me of Maverick + Iceman, it would have to be a real Top Gun watch such as a Porsche Design anondized 7750.

It is apparent to me that IWC is starting to 'cheese out' with some of these silly limited editions. Come on, Le Petit Prince? Now Top Gun? And those stupid commercials? What ever happened to understated elegance?

IWC should make a Nascar Edition :wacko:

Is lost plot the .....not a fan of all that gung ho [censored]....Maverick....Ace....etc etc....same as their cars....Mustang....Cobra....Viper etc etc.....it's all about schlongs and macho related [censored].....penis envy.....always has been with Yanks....!

It's nice, but I'll take the 'regular' limited edition ceramic doppel instead.

My reasoning:

1. I ain't no pilot

Hmm, I actually took three flying lessons before I quit. Too expensive...

2. If I was going to buy a watch that would forever remind me of Maverick + Iceman, it would have to be a real Top Gun watch such as a Porsche Design anondized 7750.

Speaking of Iceman. *g*

It is apparent to me that IWC is starting to 'cheese out' with some of these silly limited editions. Come on, Le Petit Prince? Now Top Gun? And those stupid commercials? What ever happened to understated elegance?

IWC should make a Nascar Edition :wacko:

Oh oh. So only the rich Eurosnobs can freak out on IWCs?? No, sir! IWC for NASCAR all the way!

Saw it last night, when I was searching for who sang the Top Gun theme song (Kenny Loggins, it was, duh).

And BTW, yet another reason why an ex-Blockbuster shopclerk like Tarantino, who acts like a two-year old on a sugar rush, is one of the most overrated directors in the world.

Except for Reservoir Dogs, that is.

For me, the Top Gun logos ruin what is otherwise a great watch.

And BTW, yet another reason why an ex-Blockbuster shopclerk like Tarantino, who acts like a two-year old on a sugar rush, is one of the most overrated directors in the world.

Except for Reservoir Dogs, that is.

Not sure how you reach that conclusion from the clip Pugwash posted. The Tarantino scene was from Sleep with Me, which was directed by someone called Rory Kelly.

For me, the Top Gun logos ruin what is otherwise a great watch.

I agree. They're tack-yyy.

Not sure how you reach that conclusion from the clip Pugwash posted. The Tarantino scene was from Sleep with Me, which was directed by someone called Rory Kelly.

No sweetheart. I meant it as a general comment.

Ok darling. Your words "yet another reason" suggested that you were using the Tarantino scene in the video that Pugwash posted to support your statement that Tarantino is one of the most overated directors (except for Reservoir Dogs). I understand differently now :)

Let's not forget he's an actor, writer and director.

So, you say Reservoir Dogs is good, Victoria, do you mean the writing, the directing or both? Ok, you said "director" so let's just assume you meant "director" and look at his other films purely from a directorial point of view.

Pulp Fiction: Oscar Nominated for best director ... and a truly original film that oozes cool. Won the Oscar for best writer, so it's tough to call Tarantino over-rated as a writer, but we're just discussing him as a director, right?

Aw, shucks, I don't really need to go through his directorial skills for each movie, do I? I mean you've already written off Pulp Fiction, so there's no chance for any of the rest. Oh, even if you don't like the films, you can't say they're badly made.

Oh, even if you don't like the films, you can't say they're badly made.

Slickness doesn't equal quality. If you remember my opinion on Fracture posted a few times before (because Gosling wore the IWC Porto), you'll understand I don't rate that as skill.

Let me give you an example of my opinion, so that you may see my opinions, not exactly about Tarantino.

One of the worst films I've ever seen is the Sound of Music. It was directed by Robert Wise* like the ball of sugarplum fairy pee it is. Great acting? Decent. Good dialogue? Why not. Songs? If you like showtunes, they're amongst the most memorable, by two absolute geniuses of the genre.

But overall, I am of the opinion of the late great film critic, Pauline Kael, that it should've been called the Sound of Mucus.

*Director of The Desert Rats, I want to live!, The Haunting, The Day the Earth Stood Still.

Reservoir Dogs has to be my favorite movie writing ever...how does anyone come up with dialog like that???

Very easy:

By copying Takeshi Kitano's brilliant movie called "Violent Cop". The Reservoir Dogs plot is 100% ripped from the ending of Violent Cop. The name designations (Mr. Blue, Mr. Pink, etc) was from a 60s bank robbery movie.

If any of you have never seen this movie, or another one of Kitano's movies called "Sonatine", you need to go and rent them immediately.

If any of you have never seen this movie, or another one of Kitano's movies called "Sonatine", you need to go and rent them immediately.

:tu:

(I would also say that Infernal Affairs was better than The Departed by Scorcese, along the same lines. However, The Departed was a fine effort, certainly a lot more than that pap of a biopic which came before, The Aviator. Shiver)

One of the BIG problems I have with Tarantino, is that his Blockbuster shop clerk cinematic knowledge is such, that he references so many films in his own vision, that it makes him seem very childlike as a director.

There is a difference between, say, the late Robert Altman having been very influenced by the works of Orson Welles and Howard Hawks, to Tarantino just ripping the directors who influenced him, STRAIGHT OFF. It's like sampling in rap. Ugh.

Reservoir Dogs has to be my favorite movie writing ever...how does anyone come up with dialog like that???

I had SUCH hopes for Tarantino when he came out with that. Ah well.

Anyway, getting back to the "Top Gun" IWC:

large2494oi4.jpg

Question: For USD15,000 do you think the watch should have a military strap and stay true to its purposes of being a military-inspired watch...or, is it too little for too much price?

(BTW, not impressed by the quality of said strap. It's fughazi)

I would hope for that amount they throw in a few straps for free. Anyone know?

The original limited edition ceramic doppel was much nicer, it was a little smaller (44mm vs 46mm) and had a dark blue dial. Most importantly it had none of the tacky logo's all over it. The new one looks like a $1,000 dollar watch tops with all those movie logo's on it.

Speaking of which I read somewhere that they used the movie logo not the real Tog Gun weapons school logo.. can anyone confirm or deny that??