When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What to wear to a new job

Pugwash

New job, first day, etc.  

104 members have voted

1. 1. What watch should it be?

• IWC GST Chrono
    • IWC 3717
    • Omega Planet Ocean 45mm
    • Breitling Superocean Steelfish
    • Panerai 111h
    • Panerai 187
    • A cheap mechanical gen (Seiko, SUG, etc)
    • Another watch from my collection (please specify)

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would wear the Omega Planet Ocean. It is not to expensive and look ok in that environment. The bigger question I would want to know is what do you drive. That to me would be more important. As an employer I like to look out over the lot and see nice cars new cars. If I was to hire a guy for any type of mid level mgmt type position I just wouldn't want him drive something too low profile. It upsets the clients I notice.

My senior It guy drives one of those new lotus Exige and has an older Boxster. I also like the fact he isnt married. That just means I have some one to hangout with sometimes after work.

By the way he wears a gen solid gold sub!!

GO BIG OR STAY HOME AND SUCK ON YOUR THUMB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thumb-sucking is a cheaper and healthier habit than smoking :D Doesn't make one's clothes stink either :D

You've not worked in many European cities then. Practically no-one drives. :D

I don't even have a driver's license; I've never needed one. The closest I get to driving a car is ... um, I ride a Ducati 748 and there's no way I'd ride it to work.

I don't drive either. I simply never had the need to learn as everywhere I needed to get to was either within walking distance, or I could get on a train. I'll get round to learning eventually, but it's not the top of my list of priorities.

Nice choice with the IWC, I hope the first day goes well :) And remember, no matter how cute the girls in the typing pool are, it doesn't do to dip your nib in the office ink ;)

Congrats for the new job!!!

I really do not understand this post...

why anybody should be concerned which whatch to wear the 1st day on his new job?!!!

what difference does it make...can somebody explain that to me?

From what I've read, it's just a case of ettiquete and common sense. Someone in a board meeting wearing a watch vastly more expensive than their pay grade would allow is going to either raise suspiciouns, or be a sure sign of a fake. I've read that the best choice for a corporate environment, is a watch within, or slightly above the pay grade for the position, as that way it is a believable purchase (maybe a treat to self with a bonus, for example)

From what I've read, it's just a case of ettiquete and common sense. Someone in a board meeting wearing a watch vastly more expensive than their pay grade would allow is going to either raise suspiciouns, or be a sure sign of a fake. I've read that the best choice for a corporate environment, is a watch within, or slightly above the pay grade for the position, as that way it is a believable purchase (maybe a treat to self with a bonus, for example)

Sad

And you reckon people knowingly live like this?

I really do not understand this post...

why anybody should be concerned which whatch to wear the 1st day on his new job?!!!

what difference does it make...can somebody explain that to me?

Difference? None whatsoever.

It was just a bit of fun. :D

First and foremost, congratulations! You "sound" genuinely juiced about the new job. It is really nice to see someone so excited about starting a new career opportunity.

I answered with the 3717 but had the same questions as many of the other members. What is the attire? For business casual, I think any of your choices would do. How much client interaction will there be? How are you trying to be perceived? As an authority, colleague or consultative client advocate. To me thos all enter into your decision.

In the end, I would go with one of the IWC's. They come accross as being sporty but elegan. The Chrono functions communicate a sense of technical appreciation which would seem to be important to a person assuming your position. The strap on the 3717 gives the watch a bit of a dressy posh which might compliment well dressed business casual look, but that GST is awfully hot.

Just my 2 cents.

Again all the best!!

In the end, I would go with one of the IWC's. They come accross as being sporty but elegan. The Chrono functions communicate a sense of technical appreciation which would seem to be important to a person assuming your position. The strap on the 3717 gives the watch a bit of a dressy posh which might compliment well dressed business casual look, but that GST is awfully hot.

I like the choice he went with, though it wasn't mine (uPO).

If Pug doesn't mind sharing, I would love to know if any of his co-workers like watches, and what kinds do they wear? Any questions asked about his? :)

If Pug doesn't mind sharing, I would love to know if any of his co-workers like watches, and what kinds do they wear? Any questions asked about his? :)

I've not seen any decent watches and no-one mentioned mine. However, tomorrow morning, I'm on the train to London so we'll see if the London branch has fancy watches around. :D

ps. I'll been wearing the Ingenieur and two others

I've not seen any decent watches and no-one mentioned mine. However, tomorrow morning, I'm on the train to London so we'll see if the London branch has fancy watches around. :D

Ah, boring co-workers, BUT at least they won't be overly inquisitive either. That's a good thing (I'm sure you'd tell them they're reps. You seem the very honest type, unlike me). :D

ps. I'll been wearing the Ingenieur and two others

PERFECT.

Can't wait to hear what happened.