When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What to wear to a new job

Pugwash

New job, first day, etc.  

104 members have voted

1. 1. What watch should it be?

• IWC GST Chrono
    • IWC 3717
    • Omega Planet Ocean 45mm
    • Breitling Superocean Steelfish
    • Panerai 111h
    • Panerai 187
    • A cheap mechanical gen (Seiko, SUG, etc)
    • Another watch from my collection (please specify)

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course, you know, when you show up to work, wearing whatever has been made the final selection, you pretty much ID'd yourself, through this thread, to the disgruntled underqualified geek in the back that was passed over for "his" job you be stealin'....

You'll notice there's no Rolexes on the options as I don't think that sends the right message at all.

It's the kind of job where you can afford an IWC. ;)

I'm a wee bit confused here Pugs...

They expect that you can afford an IWC but can't wear a Rolex...

Doesn't quite add up...

Double T

The race is heating up! We have two days to vote, and it would be interesting to see if Pugster keeps to the one voted. ;)

Lady V...how can you not support the 111?

It's UNIX SySAdmin...and he wears mostly black. To me, if you were a Windows SysAdmin...I would go Tag or UPO...but UNIX...I say 111.

I'm not really a PAM guy (warming to the 111h though)...but nothing screams "Don't mess with me or I'll strike your name from the payroll list" like black duds and a fat PAM.

I'm not really a PAM guy (warming to the 111h though)...but nothing screams "Don't mess with me or I'll strike your name from the payroll list" like black duds and a fat PAM.

Well, Toady. I'll be the first to encourage Pugwash to wear his nice Silix PAMs, but perhaps not on the first day.

We want him to exude professionalism on the first day, not 'tude. His co-workers will get to know that soon enough. :lol:

I'm a wee bit confused here Pugs...

They expect that you can afford an IWC but can't wear a Rolex...

Doesn't quite add up...

It's not the cost with a Rolex, it's the image and the "is that real" that you only get with a Rolex. Besides, I don't want to wear a "fake rolex" to my first day of work.

Ditto on the congratulations.

I'd lead with one of the IWCs because they convey understated good taste and intelligence, then add the UPO later during the first week. Add to the mix gradually until people realize you really are a connoisseur of fine time pieces, then bring out the "heavy artillery"-- the Pams, the Steelfish, and perhaps even a Rolex or two.

I also work in the I.T. as a Oracle DBA / UNIX sysadmin.

If the vibes you want to send out is that you are a dependable senior professional that is confident, does not fold under pressure and is a person that deserves to be well paid, I would dress neatly and wear the IWC. I have met (freelance) senior Oracle and UNIX admin's that make 10K euro a month, so a IWC is not out of reach of a senior UNIX admin that talks the talk, walks the walks and presents himself as the right man that deserves to be paid well.

Fake it till you make it and one day you will be wearing a real IWC...

Good luck with you new job...

perhaps even a Rolex or two.

I would leave off the Rolexes until the 6th month, TBH.

If those geeks, I mean! fine intellectual gentlemen around him even notice he is wearing a watch, they'll begin to wonder how such a down-to-earth guy like Puggy, can have afforded all those watches.

In the two wage-earning jobs I've ever had in my life, I played it very cool, dressed modestly, took public transport, and kept my name-dropping to an absolute minimum. I rotated exactly 3 watches, and even to the wedding of my international banking supervisor, I wore a watch she had seen before.

I was promoted twice, in short order, and it didn't raise anyone's hackles as I feel it normally would've.

Sure, Pugwash doesn't need specific advice on how to act. He's probably more than a job veteran that I am. But I'll counsel him to take it easy, nonetheless. Good jobs are hard to come by. :)

Having tried one one a fortnight ago, I know the Breitling isn't one I'll be adding to my collection any time soon, however, that is the one I'd suggest. Sure, a Planet Ocean on SS is going to go under a cuff, but it's still a big watch, and (although I admitedly didn't compare them side by side) the Breitling wore much smaller than the Planet Ocean. For sheer aesthetics, I'd say wear a 111h, but again, the size under a cuff might prove an issue...

Best of luck with things, and as others have said, congrats on the new gig :):1a:

IWC, maybe... kind of a dependable Swiss/German ideal.

Of course an MB & F Horology Machine 1 or a "special china 'tourbillon style' reverso" with a custom "FBSD Daemon 'kicks' the Penguin's Ass" animated rear dial (in place of the usual buggering) would probably be a bit over the top... (Hmm.. if I copyright that will they make a Rep? Bet it would sell)

Steelfish is the proper amount of barely restrained renegade carnivore... unless you want to borrow one of my post AL&S, pre-IWC, GUB/Glassutte antiques ...