When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ceramic HBB Bezel

ajoesmith

Ive been toying with the idea of buying one of the HBB Lites.

As you know the bezel is rep PVD on the HBB Lite compared to the ceramic bezel on the original expensive version.

Well, if the real ceramic bezel is so good, and we dont want to fork out a grand for one, why dont we try and get it made?

I know ceramic is expensive but its worth a look into. Also maybe a ceramic alternative that has the same fit and finish as ceramic?

Ill try and find out roughly what the cost would be for a piece of ceramic that size and keep you informed.

Can someone please tell me the rough dimensions of the HBB bezel?

How many people would be interested in something this?

i would definitely be interested ajoe.. good idea.. but only if it is possible to be made though :D.. maybe we need someone who has a hbb lite to do this.. because we need some kind of the same bezel construction :D

Yes if its possible ill buy the HBB lite and use that bezel as a guide to copy

Ajoe-

Good luck on that one. IMHO, people who buy HBB lites are unlikely to spend the amount of money necessary to get it made properly. My 2 cents. You have plenty of other good projects. Stick with them. ;)

It was just a thought, it may be a little difficult to do. We will see ;)

The outside of the ceramic bezel is not the same as the one found in the pvd lite version. The lite one is flat/polished. The ceramic one is like a honeycomb. Look at some of the closeups..

Good luck on the project. Since you will be taking apart a HBB lite, why don't you make of ceramic the plates in addition to the bezel? A full ceramic HBB anyone?

PS: zirconium oxide: This is too complicated..

The outside of the ceramic bezel is not the same as the one found in the pvd lite version. The lite one is flat/polished. The ceramic one is like a honeycomb. Look at some of the closeups..

Good luck on the project. Since you will be taking apart a HBB lite, why don't you make of ceramic the plates in addition to the bezel? A full ceramic HBB anyone?

PS: zirconium oxide: This is too complicated..

Yes i know the side of the bezel is different on the ceramic one compared to the HBB lite bezel.

Does anyone know what these kind of markings are called or how they can be done?

Thanks

I bet lots of people would like a ceramic bezel as long as the finished modded watch still represents a huge savings over the "regular" HBB rep price. But....whoever does this is is going to have to shell out for a ceramic bezel HBB. Chances are that whatever ceramic shop one of us finds will never have made a watch part, and will have no concept of the tolerances and attention to aesthetics needed to make an exact copy. I can tell you from experience that the only chance in hell to get it done right would be to give them the exact part youy want copied and tell them to copy it exactly. Askingthem to copy a PVD bezel "except it ceramic" is kind of a dopey idea--buy a ceramic HBB and sell it when the project is over.

I have never understood the fact why the HBB with ceramic bezel is so expensive...just look at the post from PT...regarding the J12 Chanel...that's got 100% more ceramic on itself and the price is 3 times lower...so don't come and tell me that it's an expensive material and hard to work on...

Remember to keep the place where you're going to get these done on the extreme down-low, if this idea comes closer to reaching fruition.

In terms of the real ceramic bezel, I would probably be interested if it were possible. I have a ceramic HBB, and in terms of substituting PVD or other materials for the ceramic, I believe it may be possible for the brushed ceramic look, but not for the polished one. Unless you were to make the bezel out of some sort of glass. The reason is that the ceramic has a mirror-like reflectivity when polished. But even on the corrugated side of the bezel, there's a refractive effect with the pattern and the ceramic.

I highly recommend anyone try to pick up a ceramic HBB, if you can find a deal on one. There's a reason the rep makers had to source out the bezels, I believe. I think that it would be hard to get a finished product with the finish of the bezel on the gens.

And who would you show this ceramic bezel to....!

A ) WIS...who would know that it's a fake.....!

B ) HBB owners...who wouldn't give a [censored]...undermining all your efforts with a lack of appreciation.....!

C ) HBB ..owners who would know that it's a fake...!

D ) The great unwashed masses of the chattering classes....who think the Big Bang is the start / end of the world as we know it.

E ) The WI on here ...who would appreciate it...and then move onto the next super rep.....!

F ) Yourself ....as you smugly look at it and your conscience says to itself....."the bezel looks right now"......and then that little devil pops up on your shoulder and says...yeah but you STILL don't have the REAL thing on your wrist....and you can't tell anybody other than those WI who's little devil is standing on their shoulder ...saying....'yeah but you STILL don't have......

Edited by TTK

And who would you show this ceramic bezel to....!

A ) WIS...who would know that it's a fake.....!

B ) HBB owners...who wouldn't give a [censored]...undermining all your efforts with a lack of appreciation.....!

C ) HBB ..owners who would know that it's a fake...!

D ) The great unwashed masses of the chattering classes....who think the Big Bang is the start / end of the world as we know it.

E ) The WI on here ...who would appreciate it...and then move onto the next super rep.....!

F ) Yourself ....as you smugly look at it and your conscience says to itself....."the bezel looks right now"......and then that little devil pops up on your shoulder and says...yeah but you STILL don't have the REAL thing on your wrist....and you can't tell anybody other than those WI who's little devil is standing on their shoulder ...saying....'yeah but you STILL don't have......

Hmmm What?

You know as well as i do that we all want the best looking watch, it may not be perfect but at least we try.

Sorry Neil, i do understand your comments and they are valid ones but i think they are uncalled for.

@Ajoe.....it's just my opinion....but sometimes you have to stand back and look at the big picture.....see ourselves as others would see us....be critical of ourselves....I'm no different from you...I want the best I can get.....but the law of diminishing returns enters the fray very quickly in this hobby of ours....and sometimes you have to look at the objective.....what is that objective.....and what is it related to....!

1. To fool other people into thinking that we have 'good taste' and 'the financial wherewithal to be able to afford that good taste'

2. To fool ourselves.

3. To fool real owners....ain't gonna happen.

4. In appreciation of a fine mechanical timepiece......the HBB rep is NOT a fine mechanical timepice and never will be...same as the genuine never will be...!

The reality is that even the HBB lite will fool 99% of the people 100% of the time....and 1% of the people none of the time.

I understand members who wish to AR their watches...there is a practical benefit in doing that......same as members who want to put genuine tubes and crowns on their Sub....there is a practical benefit to that also...stronger..better made....etc etc.

The HBB is a fashion statement......and the prospect of putting a ceramic beel on it will in no way render any practical benefit.....it's as strong as it need be now....Hublot fit it with a ceramic bezel merely to increase revenue from the sale of another offering to the fashionistas.....!

If it were the case that ceramic bezels offer myriad more benefits than conventional steel bezels...then all high quality manf'rs would be using it....same as they use sapphire instead of mineral glass....!

Edited by TTK

I've got an original HBB in SS and I would buy a ceramic bezel if offered. If the price was reasonable I think anyone with a non-ceramic bezel would go for it...why not?

I would actually buy any bezel if offered as I've had this watch for nearly a year now and the bezel is very marked and chipped from daily wear and tear.

The problem with this, it is that would need to have a especiall mold, and this is not cheap. And you need to produce hundrends of pieces to have a good price.

even all this points, it is a beautifull idea.

Best answer on the post!

It's not going to be cheap