When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Unknown ETA 2824 Movement - More info gathered.

RWG Technical

The Zigmeister, this looks alot like the other mystery 2824 you did a review on before, in terms of finish on a few of the areas, I guess you'll know more after you service the current movement in question, I can't wait to see.

I'm wondering if perhaps these are made by the fabled "3rd shift"? I guess there would be no way to tell since it is unlikely any of us will every visit the factoery, but if it turns out to be exact in terms of parts interchangeability, but inferior materials, that is almost the definition of 3rd shift goods.

Personally, as long as it runs well and is reliable, I have no problem with it. If anybody is making extra money by supplying these instead of the for sure true swiss made, it would most likely be the manufacturer and thats too far away from me, the consumer to get all bent out of shape about a few extra bucks. If the wholesaler/manufacturer doesn't lower his price to the retailer, the retailer won't lower thier price to the consumer, that goes with any business, not just reps or watches. It's a business, not a favor.

Of course, I'm new here, so my opinion isn't worth much, but thats my .02

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For what it's worth... I read and viewed the pics of Ziggy's post not as a negative against the collectors but just what it was intended to be informative... it really didn't say anyone was being taken advantage of... reality is really what you percieve it to be at a given time..

I agree with TTK .. if the makers say that the watch contains a certain movement .. and this is the price then that is what any seller would go by..

I have been told by my collector not to get a certain watch that I really want .. re: if the maker is out of the A7750 then he might substitute it with the old 7750, and not inform the collector,.. ergo it is passed on to the buyer.. and when it goes for servicing.. yikes.... .. this I was told by the collector.. who has no way of know for sure unless the movement is inspected.

Whilst this is a little OT, further to my above comment, I would like to relate a little story (previously posted) about marine aftermarket parts. (This is in the late 80's)

I was in Taiwan sourcing aftermarket parts ( for my own business) and went to a rubber moulding factory where they were churning out outboard motor water pump impellors (by the thousands)- price was great- and I asked if they had part no's stamped on them- was told

I am only interested if the parts are visually different or they cannot be interchanged from the two different movements in question....

it was an easy answer...wasn't it?...it was what i assumed...and now we can move on without the need to argue...

great job as always The Zigmeister!!!

"The dealers are going to have to price accordingly'......let's see now....re-arrange this well known phrase..'mouth my in foot my just put"....B)

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.....there's a lot of extremely dangerous people on these boards.....dangerous but stupid....!

Edited by TTK

IMHO TTK:

I do not understand why are you still quoting me, and blabbering about this.

"They should be priced accordingly"

You have made it clear that you are not in the position to price these items, but rather your 'suppliers' so I kind of confused why are you so hyped about this.

It's not like you can do anything about it right?

Whatever makes you sleep at night though.

PS: I apologize for my little knowledge too, and being dangerous as a result. :)

[/iMHO]

Edited by Bravoz

My gut tells me that this is a recently made, gen ETA manufactured in a non-swiss plant.

I'm actually kind of disappointed this movement isn't an Asian copy. In fact, I don't know what's more disappointing -- finding out this movement doesn't represent the end of ETA-drying-up problem with only a minor tradeoff in workmanship, or that even Swiss watchmakers will happily accept the dmishished QC standards that outsourcing requires.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...