When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Lidia Bastianich

Victoria

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a great thread! I was going to start a thred today becasue last night my wife and i were watching the food networks Next Iron Chef and One of the judges was wearing a PAM.

I jumped off the couch and says to my wife, Leece thats the watch I want to buy after xmas! She says HAH? How can you see that? I laughed and says wow after just a couple months on RWG I am already noticing watches like bever before. SO guys thanks lol :p

What a great thread! I was going to start a thred today becasue last night my wife and i were watching the food networks Next Iron Chef and One of the judges was wearing a PAM.

Would that be Mario Battali, whom I pictured in my intro post? :)

He's the big fat blond Italian dude, who wears orange crocs. Can't miss him!

P.S.: Never watched Iron Chef all the way through. Dated a guy who loved the show, and it bored me to bits. Naturally, I can't cook so never saw the attraction of the Food Network.

I jumped off the couch and says to my wife, Leece thats the watch I want to buy after xmas! She says HAH? How can you see that? I laughed and says wow after just a couple months on RWG I am already noticing watches like bever before. SO guys thanks lol :p

Leece, hehe. :)

Just you wait until you watch a film in the cinemas, now that you've transformed yourself from a guy who is INTO watches, into a chap who is a daily watch hobbyist.

It's maniacal trying to watch a movie without leaning forward every time a wrist with a watch comes into view.

@Corgi: Aw shucks. Thanks. *kicks pebbles* :blush: BTW, yes I have a big ego, but don't think that for every Corgi who thinks that about me, I'm not aware there is a counterpart who is saying the opposite. I'm not entirely self-deluded. :p

Wow, thank God I'm not a man. I just can't imagine what it is going around basing likes and dislikes on looks or whether someone gets me randy. I could never have watched years of Parky or Benny Hill if that were the case. :mellow:

I know you're not shallow, Freddy. But this trait that men have never fails to make me raise my eyebrow.

WHAT are you doing at Houston's as a vegetarian??? :lol:

I greatly dislike vegans. Vegetarians are all right. My dad is one. So was his father -- in the 1930s...

Me, red meat couldn't be bloodier for me to love it. As Patrick Henry said, "Give me red meat, or give me early cardiovascular disease!!".

...Or, as I heard at a recent environmental health/food safety seminar in San Antonio......"Red meat is not bad for you. Fuzzy, green meat is bad for you".

As for Nigella.....she gets my paratid salivary gland going along with many other bodily fluids........

I also saw Lydia wearing a PAM the other day on TV, couldn't tell what model. :)

Stop! Really? I'm very impressed by this fat old broad. Yes, she's Italian (born, raised in the US), but as Sssurfer says most Italians are not watch-conscious.

I find it delightful that Italian-AMERICANS, like Stallone and Battali are the ones with the PAMs on their wrists.

OK enough already. Nigella Lawson is one of the most annoying women in the world. Fact. She cannot cook her way out of a paper bag. Fact. She is a dog. Fact. I don't know what Jay Leno was thinking but I wish he had used the carving knife to remove her (empty) head.

@ vbarrett. Yes, one of those men is annoying and the other is brilliant, of course we all know that the brilliant one is not Jamie Oliver. Fact.

Anyone who disagrees with me is wrong. Fact.

;)

@ vbarrett. Yes, one of those men is annoying and the other is brilliant, of course we all know that the brilliant one is not Jamie Oliver. Fact.

There you go.

Look, yes, Gordon Ramsay plays to the camera, and uses gimmicks to bring in viewers like overusing rude words, etc. It's for effect. But he is SPOT on culinarily. No fussy, New Age crap from him, unlike Jamie Oliver. And though I instinctively feel he and I would clash personally (I might either start to cry, or belt him 'round the mush), I totally appreciate that he doesn't suffer fools gladly. He is very professional about his craft.

Getting back to chefs and watches. If you've read the Shoutbox you know I love watching Anthony Bourdain (I met him at Les Halles here in Coral Gables, where he is either the owner, or the head chef on paper).

NOTE: He wasn't famous at the time. I only realised who he was after-the-fact.

bourdain2.jpg

Arrogant too, and tries to be a bit too cool, even "hip". But I learn from him, and I like that in people.

He seems to favour tool watches, but recently has been going trendy. Now the guy who eats Bizarre Foods (name of his show in fact), Andrew Zimmern, likes them bold and brassy.

andrewzimmernev4.jpg

Red Luminox?

@ vbarrett: I was worried that your liking of NL was going to spill over into the Jamie O, Gordon R situation and that you would favour JO. Please accept my humblest apologies. I underestimated you. For the record I have not seen Anthony Bourdain on TV (or in the flesh) but Kitchen Confidential is a superb book.

@ vbarrett: I was worried that your liking of NL was going to spill over into the Jamie O, Gordon R situation and that you would favour JO. Please accept my humblest apologies. I underestimated you.

Misunderestimated me. ;)

I love Nigella, but for many reasons. For her courage in surviving losing her husband to cancer. For her surviving a brutal childhood from remote parents. For her ability to lick a spoon full of mushy peas in ways disturbingly sexual even for me. :D

For the record I have not seen Anthony Bourdain on TV (or in the flesh) but Kitchen Confidential is a superb book.

Ah, haven't read it! Thanks for the tip.

In Italy (since this country has been repeatedly mentioned here and there ...) when a girl gets married she still receives "Il cucchiaio d'argento" as a wedding present. Cooking is an art every woman develops in the years. And which she is very proud of. We use to say (related to some young bit titted girls) "gallina vecchia fa buon brodo" which stands for something as "old chicken makes good soup", with its allegoric meaning ...

In Italy (since this country has been repeatedly mentioned here and there ...) when a girl gets married she still receives "Il cucchiaio d'argento" as a wedding present.

B)

Unfortunately, I'm always a little wary of saying these kinds of things, Stevethebest. First, Italy has so many different regional customs, as I don't need to tell someone like you, that such a gift would be impossible to say "In Italy". And what is true of one social class, is also not true of others.

When I was a kid, I once read that "In Italy" there was a tradition that the mother of a son who needs his first shave, upon reaching puberty, is the one who takes out the razor, lathers him up and shaves him.

So when I made friends with an Italian girl, years later at boarding school, I asked her about this tradition. She was mortally offended.

"WHAT! Of course that doesn't happen. That happens only with some Sicilian peasants, but where I come from, that's ridiculous! Are you a Morris dancer?".

Point taken. It's hard to be 13. :D

Cooking is an art every woman develops in the years. And which she is very proud of. We use to say (related to some young bit titted girls) "gallina vecchia fa buon brodo" which stands for something as "old chicken makes good soup", with its allegoric meaning ...

Ahh, that's wonderful though. I'll use the saying soon.

When I was a kid, I once read that "In Italy" there was a tradition that the mother of a son who needs his first shave, upon reaching puberty, is the one who takes out the razor, lathers him up and shaves him.

So when I made friends with an Italian girl, years later at boarding school, I asked her about this tradition. She was mortally offended.

"WHAT! Of course that doesn't happen. That happens only with some Sicilian peasants, but where I come from, that's ridiculous! Are you a Morris dancer?".

What both you and the other Gel (hey, it's boarding school, you're all Gels) failed to understand that it is a tradition and they do do that kind of thing in Italy. Morris dancing, for instance, is a tradition that is done in England, but that doesn't mean we all do it. If you start denying national traditions because they're not practised by everyone, you're missing out on the rich tapestry of cultures.

Her response was such a snobbish response, but she was 13 and in boarding school, so that counts as "Duh". :-)

nlc009131-v6.jpg

Betcha he wears a rep sub!

As offensive and stereotyped as your comment about Stephen Yan is, I almost [censored] in my pants laughing.

The early days of cooking shows were pretty darn funny. Stephen Yan, Justin Wilson, Julia Child---I remember the days. Then Paul Prudhomme and Emeril came around.

I'm a total Food Network junkie, but the best "food" show isn't even on the Food Network. Top Chef is one of the best shows period!

I'm a total Food Network junkie, but the best "food" show isn't even on the Food Network. Top Chef is one of the best shows period!

Remember The Frugal Gourmet? ;)

I even bought one of his cookery books (utterly disgusting recipes, BTW). I am not a foodie, but I appreciate those who know fine food. This is why I still watch PBS' cookery programmes, like the CIA.

Houston's makes some of the best burgers (including a veggie-based burger) in the world. And my guttural repulsion to Lidia (and Julia) has nothing to do with randyness (my mother would tell you the same thing about Lidia and, no, my mother is not a lesbian (at least not to my knowledge)). And I have similar feelings about tv news readers (remember that thread).

And look where Patrick Henry is today - dead.

Pass the salad.

The spinach artichoke dip @ Houston's is to die for! And their burgers are amazing too!