When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

5218 201a dial

davidsenjpn

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice watch davidsen,

But beside the CG issue others mentioned already, please change the lume!

This watch is a rep of a 14 years old Pam with tritium dial, the gen never did glow like yours, even when it was new.

And Tritium after this long time does not glow anymore.

I`m really a fan of some of your watches and already bought from you , but that lume is ridiculous.

Tescardo

Yes... I agree the lume is too bright... standard rep lume may also be too bright...

But this is a great job!

Anybody have any comments on the font or logo? Is it great?

Methinks my wallet will again be lighter soon :|

The font printing should be slightly heavier and be marginally reduced in height. Logo is a good shape but is slightly too large overall. However the biggest problem remains the shape of the 6 and 9 - these should both be wider, with the enclosed black area wider than they are tall.

There has been a lot of effort put into this project but unless the basic engraving is corrected it wil remain a case of 'defeat snatched from the jaws of victory'. PLEASE, before this dial goes into production get the CNC engraving file amended. This could easily become the 'grail' of Panerai reps if it's done properly.

Edited by PAMman

I wouldn't worry about the lume, fellas. Anyone "in the know" enough to recognize the 201/A as a 15 yr old watch will know it's a rep, anyway.

Despite the 6 and 9 needing to be a little flatter, I think this watch is gorgeous overall. Nice work DSN! The text on the dial looks GREAT.

Yes , simply because the case is wrong (even when the lugs a shorter and more curved) ,

but when you argue that way, why than flatten 6 and 9 ?

Edited by tescardo

Because the case is a much more subtle "tell" than the shape of the 6 and 9. Same goes for the lume, in the daylight, you wouldn't be able to tell. You'd nearly need to have a pic of a real Pre-A case or an actual watch side by side with the rep to spot the differences.

Sorry to correct you ,

but Pre-a cases are the same cases as the A-D cases.

Here we are talking about Pre-Vendome !

Pre-Vendome has nothing to do with Pre-A.

A Pre-Vendome case has very easy visible differences to the Pre-A or actual Luminor cases.

Edited by tescardo

The most noticable difference between Davidsen's case and the genuine preV is the too large screw holes in the lugs. Both lugs should have the same size hole as the regular gen / rep, but this case has grossly oversized holes.

I don't agree that the dial engraving is OK as it is. Don't forget that each dial will have to be individually engraved and then hand lumed. All we need is to have the original engraving setup file amended to the correct shape. There is no reason why this shouldn't be done as the lume is being applied by hand so there is no corresponding print file for the digits to be similarly amended and registered accurately. It seems as if the logo is marginally too big but it may simply be that the slimmer 6 is making it look that way. Fix the 6 and 9 first and we have a winner.

Sorry to correct you ,

but Pre-a cases are the same cases as the A-D cases.

Here we are talking about Pre-Vendome !

Pre-Vendome has nothing to do with Pre-A.

A Pre-Vendome case has very easy visible differences to the Pre-A or actual Luminor cases.

Yes, sorry, I meant Pre-V.

Well, I spot things more easily than most people on the gen Panerai sites, and I'd have a tough time spotting a Pre-V case on someone's wrist. If you can, great.

I stand by my earlier statement that the dial cut-outs and the dial printing are far more obvious than case differences or lume. This will NOT be a perfect rep, and I don't expect it to be.

If you've got the resources to make a correct Pre-V case, please do.

Well i just read this whole thread for the first time and i would like to congratulate DSN for this project and if he wants to sell me the first prototype i would buy it! Secondly, the expertese in this forum is just fantastic beyone expertese in some cases and then with the added graphic editing and file creation, wow may be easy for some of you but well done any way. I know alot of us are after the perfect 201a or whatever and this is very close indeed. yes there are still differences but i bet if i got 5 gen 201a on a table WE would still find differences in them. Now to my point if you do make this please keep the option for superduper lume becase i love it. And if a panerist asked me into a dark room to check the lume, well it would be a dark room and i will leave the rest to your imajination!

DSN keep it up i am sure it is frustrating at times but you will sell these well i am sure!

This is MUCH better than before ...so the momentum is there and this must be credited in it's own right.

Who else other than Davidsen is attempting to improve the dials on offer for us and has delivered a huge variety of options that no other maker seems interested in...?

This is a business after all and I'd wholly expect to see improvements on offer in the near future ...this is version 4 or 5 of the 201 dial already ..so why not expect 6 or 7?

Suppose if ONE gen 201A dial was available for $10000...would you be making the most of the business opportunity these forums represent if you got dial #1 100% correct and sold it for $50....???

Maybe these will not happen if there is insufficient support for this effort...I know from my own limited experience that it does take a cash injection to get any sort of project going ...even the smallest and least complex.

Read his Blog and Davidsen is a watch enthusiast ...one of us..but with access the tools to do things we believe we can do better ?

Personally I have my doubts on how easy this is to get 100% perfect but have respect for those that put money where there mouth is and try.

FGD

The line thickness of the logo should be slightly less and the line thickness of the text LUMINOR PANERAI should be slightly more. In other words the logo to be slightly less bold and the text LUMINOR PANERAI to be slightly more bold. Basically the opposite of what it is in the latest dial.

Carpe Diem

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...