When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How To Spot A Rep

Victoria

Exactly what I was thinking. All the answers for all our current reps are already contained within a myriad forum posts, and if anyone needs to know something specific there's always the search facility.

This just smacks of someone who doesn't know as much as they pretend running out of bluff-and-bluster and now looking for a shortcut to enlightenment. The point is almost as inane as 'who has the best sub'.

To the original poster - perhaps you should step back from the 'New Topic' button and spend a few days reading back on all that went on and was discussed about this very issue in the days, weeks, months and years before you graced us with your presence.

Never a truer word spoken, Pugs. There is no substitute for time, research and experience.

Truer words have never been spoken, I agree totally. A supposedly "one stop" thread is useless, if you really want to learn, take the time to read and gain insight and knowledge from the many experienced members and their posts, look through watch magazines. And do your own legwork check out the AD hold the real deal in your hand that really does more than any picture or explanation can. Yeah it takes time, but if you love watches it's part of the fun.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here's the Pugwash method for spotting a rep. It's pretty much foolproof.

Know the watch.

That's it, I'm afraid. If you know what a genuine Sub looks like, you'll spot replicas. If you need a Word doc, you'll never be sure it's not out-of-date. If you're serious about rep-spotting, go to an AD and commit the tells to memory.

Very well put Pug. To spot a rep you really have to be familiar with two watches, the rep and the gen. That is why the guys on the gen forums have problems, because they are only familiar with one watch. Rep spotting is a very difficult skill, and to be good at it you will need a lot more than a word document can ever give you. I've been here fore several years and haven't even got all the Breits figured out!

A supposedly "one stop" thread is useless,

I'm sure you didn't mean to be unkind, or impolite, so let's not touch on this part.

Instead, let's say that there are some people here that as newbies would truly appreciate any quick tells, that don't take but a second to divulge from the more seasoned members. It gives them greater piece of mind, when buying reps, and wearing them. In time, they too will scope around the forum, and gain the knowledge others have with painstaking patience.

This forum is practical, above all else. This is a practical thread.

I'm going to be expanding it later on.

Instead, let's say that there are some people here that as newbies would truly appreciate any quick tells, that don't take but a second to divulge from the more seasoned members. It gives them greater piece of mind, when buying reps, and wearing them.

Yeah. As I said... "who has the best sub"..... :rolleyes:

We'll agree to disagree on this one, but suffice to say that what you are asking for will never fit the bill. Too many watches, too many variants, plus the information is already out there and can't be condensed in the way you are suggesting.

You are looking for the answer to life, the universe and everything (and it ain't 42).

The point of posting a consolidated 'cheat sheet' so to speak is.. well just that.. to consolidate all the good information available on posts throughout the site onto a single document in order to facilitate easy access to that information. It would be a major convenience and I agree with Victoria that it would provide signiicant value add. It is also however a lot of work. Still, if there is someone out there willing to, or desireous of putting such a document together I think it would constitute significant service to the community at large.

Just my 2 cents... don't kill me over it.

Thanks for your input, eddhead. There are some as still unresolved issues at play in threads, but don't worry about that. What is important is to help out folks, as best as we're able to.

The motives aren't altruistic, merely practical. However, I personally also wish for newbies to have ever more reasons to upgrade to Supporter status. :)

Oh, BTW, there's no suggestion of having a truly all-encompassing thread. It would take years to map out, and a committee's worth of time. This is just putting out what knowledge we have, here and there. ;)

The point of posting a consolidated 'cheat sheet' so to speak is.. well just that.. to consolidate all the good information available on posts throughout the site onto a single document in order to facilitate easy access to that information. It would be a major convenience and I agree with Victoria that it would provide signiicant value add. It is also however a lot of work. Still, if there is someone out there willing to, or desireous of putting such a document together I think it would constitute significant service to the community at large.

Willing to yes how evr i dont have the skills nesesary i beleve. I had a look at it and a quick try and it is not as easy as it seems, John Browns book (Can I Buy and updated version??) is as has been said what we are trying to achive here.

Vic you have PM

Thanks for your input, eddhead. There are some as still unresolved issues at play in threads, but don't worry about that.

hmm.... not sure what to make of that, but ok!

Oh, BTW, there's no suggestion of having a truly all-encompassing thread. It would take years to map out, and a committee's worth of time. This is just putting out what knowledge we have, here and there. ;)

I agree. The viability of collecting completely comprehensive and grandular information onto a single document is low, but the collection of the type of basic information we regularly talk about in posts throughout this site (crown guards, rehaut, date mag.. etc... ) would would help our newer members distinguish between high-end reps and the.. well... not so high end and serve to protect against scams. Can't be a bad thing. Honestly for some models this can probably be done by expanding upon or repositioning some of the themes outlined in several of By-Thors excellent reviews.

and a committee's worth of time.

And this thread sounds just like committee thinking. A brain-fart from some well-intentioned people who will discuss the matter to death before wasting valuable time and resources on a doomed project.

But, if some people reckon it is a worthwhile enterprise then by all means knock yourselves out.

I, however, have always advocated that this will, for the majority of intelligent people, achieve the same results.

Bricky, we need you back here!

The point of posting a consolidated 'cheat sheet' so to speak is.. well just that.. to consolidate all the good information available on posts throughout the site onto a single document in order to facilitate easy access to that information.

Obviously it's not possible to list all the flaws of all the different models of all the reps available. But as a quick reference I do see the usefulness of a list with some basic apparent flaws of the most popular reps.

I remember when I came to the board I wanted to know 2 things: what apparent flaws does my favorite rep have and what's the difference between all the available movements. The latter already being answered in The Zigmeister's info.

At least this list can answer the most basic questions that are asked over and over again. And hopefully it encourages people to learn more about a particular watch by using the search button....

Thanks for your input, eddhead. There are some as still unresolved issues at play in threads, but don't worry about that. What is important is to help out folks, as best as we're able to.

The motives aren't altruistic, merely practical. However, I personally also wish for newbies to have ever more reasons to upgrade to Supporter status. :)

My dear Victoria, there are no unresolved issues. I simply don't understand what you are getting at. This forum contains thousands of posts, photos, and reviews, painstakingly crafted to illustrate the differences between reps and gens. For you to even insinuate that these comparisons could be spelled out here in a few short sentences is just plain insulting. I have just finished a review of the Breitling Blackbird, and it was a culmination of 2 weeks worth of hunting for photos, writing, rewriting as well as several trips to the AD. Its a lot of work. As a newb, you should know that you will learn nothing unless you make the effort to search for the information that you seek.

My dear Victoria, there are no unresolved issues. I simply don't understand what you are getting at. This forum contains thousands of posts, photos, and reviews, painstakingly crafted to illustrate the differences between reps and gens. For you to even insinuate that these comparisons could be spelled out here in a few short sentences is just plain insulting. I have just finished a review of the Breitling Blackbird, and it was a culmination of 2 weeks worth of hunting for photos, writing, rewriting as well as several trips to the AD. Its a lot of work. As a newb, you should know that you will learn nothing unless you make the effort to search for the information that you seek.

That pretty much sums up the futility of this thread.

I'll decide when or when not to post, thanks. Although you might start a new thread about imposing your views on board etiquette on others.

That was a civil and sensible request. I think you'll find the next message won't be from me, but it'll say much the same thing. Thanks for understanding.

I think that's enough handbags at dawn duelling.... :rolleyes:

The forum does have a wiki function which would be ideally suited to this kind of thing, because it can be updated and so on as a group effort.

It is also true to say that folk haven't exactly been queuing up around the block to use it though.

So maybe everyone is right! :group:

So maybe everyone is right! :group:

It seems that some members cannot access the Wiki thread, according to a few posts mentioned to me today. Could it be it's only available to RWG Supporters, Cornerstone?

Because this is the purpose of this thread, to give newbies a quick guide on spotting tells in reps, in turn encouraging them perhaps to upgrade -- though its purpose is fast leaving it.

BTW, no handbags from me. Ironically, for the only voluble lady on the board.

It seems that some members cannot access the Wiki thread, according to a few posts mentioned to me today. Could it be it's only available to RWG Supporters, Cornerstone?

Tsk. Noobs... :rolleyes:

Perhaps there will have to be a 'how to use the internet' guide for them before they graduate to the tougher stuff :animal_rooster:

I'm guessing that since Admin has a 'how to upgrade' article in the Wiki and 'information for new members' that they must be able to access it somehow - perhaps that has subsequently changed, I could be wrong.

Victoria, I guess you've decided to ignore me (as you so eloquently stated in your pm "eeeeewww you give me the creeps") but I assume your nosey nature will not let you avoid reading my posts. Why don't you stop wasting the members time and efforts rehashing info that is already readily available in these forums? There has not been one fact listed in this thread that is not available already on this site! You seem to be rallying people to put together an all encompassing guide that you can claim as your own. And as I said before that is offensive to the people that collected the information.

Why not put a book containing a synopsis of every book ever written in the front of every library. That way newcomers would never have to venture past the foyer.

If you are keen to contribute, here is a watch

15.jpg

Its a great looking piece, and I'm interested in it. But all I know about Chopard is that Simon Cowell wore one at the beginning of last season, and I don't think it has been reviewed here. So, why don't you start a thread and challenge members to research all aspects of this watch, and spot any differences. Look at the case, dial, crystal, pushers, crown, caseback, hands, strap, and clasp. After a week, take all the information from that thread and write a decent comparitave review of the watch. Then, you will have contributed positively.

"Victoria's guide on how to spot a rep" based on other members work just doesn't cut it with me.

Edited by andreww

@Victoria, say, just wondering if you are a succubus. In this case a forum succubus, bombarding every corner of the forum

and writing thousands of posts in 3 months that usually takes most about 3 years, thereby draining the will to live of all other forum members? Seems like a suitable thing to ask. :laugh:

succubusinfernussm3.jpg

I consider myself a sophomore member of this forum .. period.. ( I came aboard in 06).. I can see it insulting those who have posted and ANSWERED numerous questions by new members.. if plagiarism is in fact the best form of flattery then everyone.. who ever originally layed down this guide should be given "gold stars".. but to start a thread about what is discussed over and over and in a way say that the SENIOR members of this forum don't give advise or guidance to someone that is without the information is in effect saying that the members don't know what they are talking about and are self serving.. which I find Ludacris.

when I first came aboard ... i was happy just being able to enjoy reps .. then.. as my interest grew senior members were more than helpful .. in assisting me to other members who could source parts and knowledge.. in this way I "learned"... sourced parts to make a better replica... my first year I did not post ... and as I asked questions later on .. members who have been with the original RWG were more than helpful.... i could list them but it would take too long..

I learned and am still learning from the verterans... but to post this is saying that it has never been approached before?.. I can commit to memory most of the things that were dicussed about "tells" or "flaws"... personally I really could care less about what I wear having the Tells.. we all know they do ...it's like telling the person "you better not wear this or that because everyone can "tell".. takes some of the enjoyment out of it for new members .. don't you think?.. or maybe scares them away.. or makes them self concious... I remember the first rep I got.. well the first descent rep... it was Fun... felt exciting.. not to know too much at once.... now I source parts and genuine parts because it's still fun and the challenge is a "hobby"..

I have alway's played team sports... and instill that in my workers.. I like to think I lead by example and not "control"... i try to make everyone around me better than I am... thus making the "team" better ... if I try and beat everyone to the proverbial "punch" or try and take credit for everything, then I am destroying the very thing I am trying to accomplish!!!!

when I have a worker who tries to gain suport of others to better his cause .. it destroy's the unity and team work.. needless to say the results of the goals..

some very senior members have choosen to take leave.. have you noticed Ziggy is not around as much?.. the one member who has helped countless members old and new.. through all of his own challenges...whose reviews have shaped a lot of the rep market... this is not a RED FLAG.??. Ziggy IMHO is not unreasonable.. totaly to the contrary... if the attitude is "so what?.. I'll do as I please and mask it in the "helping"others.. what do you think he has done all these years before most of us got here?????????????? before you before I..... there were the members who started this forum and held it together through thick and thin.. and now someone is saying they know better?

the thing is either you or I or whoever is part of the "problem" or will be "part" of the solution .... this is a Community and as such needs "Lokahi" .. unity with support ..... togetherness.. we have our differences but we need to "Hooponopono".. problem solve and cleanse.....no one should think that they can just do whatever they please and thus divide the community masked with congeniality... that in and of itself is "fake".. "fraud" playing with others emotions.. manipulation... sweet talk.. whatever you want to call it.... No one needs to control or think they know what is "best" for this forum.. how many members and what type of forum was this 4 months ago... (hint).. Replica Watch Forum ... not celebrity forum or a who's who forum.. or a fashion strap forum....and it is becoming one of control and "clever" if all but borrowed "posts" ... or who has the most reps forum...

If all members would do one thing here.... close your eye's and imagine all .. and I do mean ALL members here are men.. males.. all... would you react the same way?.. would you jump in and compliment ... or "rescue"?... I think not..

Bottom line if we loose members such as Ziggy.. what happens? .. do we become a gossip and fashion and survey forum?.. can anyone do reviews on movements .. i wonder if anyone is interested in those things anymore?... after all they're just about watches aren't they???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Bottom line if we loose members such as The Zigmeister.. what happens? .. do we become a gossip and fashion and survey forum?.. can anyone do reviews on movements .. i wonder if anyone is interested in those things anymore?... after all they're just about watches aren't they???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Members are already under warning far more senior than you are, Lanikai. Please understand I am not leaving so stop criping, stop obsessing, stop bullying. STOP IT. I beg of you.

If you have a problem, press Ignore. Life is uncommonly problem-free when you do.

Now, if you don't mind, this thread is a Guide "of sorts" to help people out. In the morning, I will be adding on to it.