When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The history of RWG?

llsteve80

I've always been a little surprised that there is no archive or sticky about the history of RWG and how it came to be. I understand its #1 purpose, and that makes sense, but how did it get formed and get so big? From what I understand, it was made by some veteran members of the old RWG when it was rumored that it would be shutting down. I'm not concerned or nosy, I just like knowing how things I like came to be. I think it would be interesting for me and all the other late comers. I know there are many members here who have been active since the inception of this great forum, I'm wondering if anyone would be willing to take on the task?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

llsteve,

I think you have already pretty succesfully summarised the history of this place!

A sub comittee of sorts, formed from mods and older members from RWG1 decided to move on, when we feared that forum may fall over.

KB had a discussion with T, and bingo we had an admin. (realise also that a lot of these members had their initial roots at TRC)

The rest as we say is history.

There have been a couple of personnel changes in admin over the years, some moved on, some added, (we currently have a couple on extended sabbaticals)

As a group, we tend to want to look forward to positive outcomes, not revisit too much of the past, as generally we are then visiting less positive times or matters!

Onward and upward.

Offshore

Ah, good ol TRC. The place where I cut my teeth after coming so close to buying a "genuine made in Switzerland A+++ 31 jewels Rolex with diamond like markers that test exactly like diamonds!!!!!" *sigh* To be so young and stupid.... :D

Oh and COD I might add so I can "check the merchandise and be satisfied before paying for it". What a crock.

As a group, we tend to want to look forward to positive outcomes, not revisit too much of the past, as generally we are then visiting less positive times or matters!

Onward and upward.

Offshore

Well no need for dragging up anything less than positive. I suppose what has been said is a good enough history lesson for me. Whatever the case, it is my favorite forum, with the most knowledgeable people, and not a small group of people patting themselves on the back when they tell a newbie that they're glad that they're so advanced in their rep knowledge that they would "never make a mistake like that" instead of helping sort of thing.

Ahhh, you to LR!

Exactly my intro to reps,'cept maybe I wasn't quite so young!

Actually I joind there just after it had formed from the old RWCC.

I had recieved a spam email about Italian reps, which had piqued my interest

Spent about a month trying to come to grips with why the Reptile Centre style sites never posted my questions on the forum.

Then the penny dropped, I found TRC, and THE LIGHT.

again, the rest is history, good and bad.

Offshore

My history:

I got into reps back in sophmore year (1995). I didn't even have internet back then. My friends and I would take our $6.00/hr paychecks and head off to swap-o-rama to buy jewelery and other knick knacks that we really didn't need. It was all a game. Then one day a guy had a fake rolex sub sitting there and I bought it for 30 bucks. I was kind of awed that I was holding a real fake rolex. It struck me as how someone could so blatently copy something and just put it out there without a second thought. Anyway, I liked the watch, and have been a sub fan ever since. At 15, I had never seen a real one, so I couldn't compare it to anything.

Then the guy at radio shack saw it and asked to see it so I showed him, and he showed me his real one. (looking back, I wonder, he said it was a gift, who knows.) I saw the engravings on the inside of the clasp, the coronet on the crown, and the smooth side of the band. My links were rolled and you you could see it when viewing from the side. He also showed me the sweeping second hand. That kind of busted my bubble a little bit, but then these european guys showed up at the swap-o, and had automatics with engravings on them. I was like whoa, cool, even the back is engraved.. :) (back just popped off, not screwed in at all) I bought one, and kept going back for more until someone at school asked me where I was getting all these watches. I didn't tell him, but I did tell him I'd get him one for 50 bucks (I was paying 25), and next thing I knew I had a locker full of them and was selling about 2-3 a week. The best was the guy that asked me if I could get a two tone sieko and when I did, he held it like it was some sacred object. I'll never forget (or understand) the look on his face when he saw it.

I eventually got out of it, since I got tired of people commenting about a 18-19 year old could never have a rolex, and unhappily went about with (don't shoot!) fossils, citizen, relic, etc., until the itch came back again. I let my self get ripped off by the guy on craigslist before I found this place, and have learned alot and have been living happily ever since. I even figured out that just buying isn't enough for me, I have to mod a little, I built 2 frankens, am building another, and have modded my beginmariner. Sorry I haven't posted on this ever, but I never really had anything extraordinary yet.

Wow I'm a wordy son of a gun.

Yes Bob the were some of the best days when we first opened the doors and I am glad this thread is here, because when members recall how hard we worked to get this place running smooth they will also understand why we will work just as hard to keep it that way.

Ken

The subject I remember best about the old RWG is the RWG Watch.... The LimitEd Edition "Collaboration 1". That was one of the issues that tore the place apart..

39281-38458.jpg

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showto...l=collaboration

Remember TTKs comment about the money from the members had gone to new wheels for webmaster Blades Acura. :laugh:

The parts from the RWG watch even turned up in other Railmaster replicas!

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showto...l=collaboration

The subject I remember best about the old RWG is the RWG Watch.... The LimitEd Edition "Collaboration 1". That was one of the issues that tore the place apart..

Remember TTKs comment about the money from the members had gone to new wheels for the webmasters Acura. :laugh:

Ah... good times ;)

It was fun over there, that's for sure...

Look at this, history is revealing its self. What have I done? I always find the past and the roots of places and people interesting, so this is nice. As for the "great stampede", that is apparent when looking at the date joined and member number under everyone's avatar, it looks like over a thousand joined in the first few months? Very cool.

That is a really cool story, thanks for sharing.

Your welcome. I enjoyed thinking back. Life was much easier back then.

while we're getting all nostalgic, i'll just send a shout out to those that made the original looney bin what it was. i was just reading over #2000 which reminded me of all of the post salvaging that was going on during the transition. people didn't know if all of the information would be transferred and were running amok to preserve the posts.

how funny to go back through and re-read a post from almost 2 years ago - some of the people on the roll call are still active, sadly some are not, and i guess fortunately others are not. i guess if you really want to get old school you'd have to get the likes of ttk to tell you stories of pre-RWG1. anyone else remember the photogalleryforum or watchtrader? at one time there went from two main boards to like 6 in the span of a few short months. how many active boards do we even have now? (i'm asking since i've kind of been on the sidelines for a bit). this board alone is coming up on 10k registered members...do any of the old timers remember the thread about member 10k on RWG?

I love that pic Ryya. A real blast from the past.

I was actually just browsing my hard drive and tried to search it up. I also have this picture saved somewhere. :lol:

We should really install that one for the Xmas theme. That would be funny.