When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Does my watch match my.........

freddy333

Hmmm, I don't think one gets 'style' from reading a book.... :rolleyes:

True, but you have to learn what the rules (of style) are from somewhere. For me, a number of books like Flusser's provided the missing answers. Now I know why a large sports watch is not the best thing to wear with formal clothing. And considering how often these types of questions get asked, I thought this book (which I consider to be the best of the dozen or so volumes I have on the subject) ought to be highlighted & easily accessible since it would be difficult, at best, to locate via Search.

Hmmm, I don't think one gets 'style' from reading a book.... :rolleyes:

duhhh... it's called the internet! LOL The book of the 21st century B):p

BTW,, I dont wear my watch for my health,, I do it for the style in the aspect that I want to have a nice looking watch on (to have a distinctive style about me) and don't think for one second that you have not thought what you were going wear before you changed straps on your Panerai, IWC, etc. B)

Add these to the list:

hxxp://www.askandyaboutclothes.com

This is where my boyfriend goes, but though the NY Sun link I wrote up top listed them, I didn't want to post the direct link to that forum because they recently used Kenberg's photos to highlight "counterfeit" mens' suits.

:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

@Jumbie: Ah, right. Thanks for the correction. Hmm, now I feel like going to Ken's Bergies area. So double thanks!

Followup: LOL! Ken has men's underwear now.

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=50307

Is there nothing sacred? Rep Tampaxes next! ...ahem, fortunately, in the US men's undies are dead cheap at outlets. 3 for $15 Calvin boxers BUT in the EU, these are very expensive indeed, so fair play to Bergies.

@Jumbie: Good idea. Let me do so too. EDIT: Hey! How did you rate your own post? That's the first time outside of Admin, I've ever seen that done. Cool. ;)

This is where my boyfriend goes, but though the NY Sun link I wrote up top listed them, I didn't want to post the direct link to that forum because they recently used Kenberg's photos to highlight "counterfeit" mens' suits.

:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

It was shirts actually.

Anyway, it's a great site to learn about dressing properly; and about suits especially. Interestingly enough, they don't seem to care too much for the pricey, heavily-marked-up designer labels such as Armani, etc. that kenberg sells the reps of; preferring Brioni, Canali, etc. and obviously MTM/bespoke suits.

*Edit: Thanks for the reminder to anonymize the links. It's been a while since I've posted and it slipped my mind.

Edited by Jumbie

True, but you have to learn what the rules (of style) are from somewhere. For me, a number of books like Flusser's provided the missing answers. Now I know why a large sports watch is not the best thing to wear with formal clothing. And considering how often these types of questions get asked, I thought this book (which I consider to be the best of the dozen or so volumes I have on the subject) ought to be highlighted & easily accessible since it would be difficult, at best, to locate via Search.

I think there's a big difference between etiquette rules and style. Etiquette rules (like the do's and don'ts on formal events as black/white tie etc.) can be learned from a book, but style - in my opinion - comes from taste, creativity and the gut feeling what fits best for the occassion. Something which comes from insight and experience rather than from learning rules from a book.

edit:

What's 'hot' or not is also very much dependent on the social/business environment you're in. For instance, a book probably will say that sneakers are not allowed in a business environment. I would certainly agree for the more traditional businesses. But in the advertising world I see lots of street wear mixed up with formal wear, which can look great.

Edited by scoobs1971

It was shirts actually.

Anyway, it's a great site to learn about dressing properly; and about suits especially. Interestingly enough, they don't seem to care too much for the pricey, heavily-marked-up designer labels such as Armani, etc. that kenberg sells the reps of; preferring Brioni, Canali, etc. and obviously MTM/bespoke suits.

*Edit: Thanks for the reminder to anonymize the links. It's been a while since I've posted and it slipped my mind.

Of course they used ken's pics. Ken sells the gold standard of replica clothing. The fact that Andy and styleforum used his pics to is actually pretty good advertising if you ask me. Most of the readers of those site probably think rep clothing is all like the crap congesting ebay. More probably bought from Ken than expressed their outrage on styleforum, I bet.

BTW, between a few excellent websites, ebay, outlets, and brick and mortar liquidators, I guarantee it's just as cheap to dress well as it is to buy the the majority of people buy, even on sale. Yesterday I spent half an hour driving to my favorite discount store and bought a Borrelli shirt, a Kiton tie, and a pair of Barker Black shoes (each hand made by people that actually give a crap about their work, and it shows) for far less than a cheap suit that costs $500 because it has ralph lauren's name on it.

When guys want to start matching their watches with their socks then as Borat noted, they should join in the parade for

'happy' men who are equipped with rubber fists.