When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

5508 With Thin Case *new Pics Added*

palpatine

it begun with that:

64054-34116.jpg

jay, i hope you don´t mind that i borrow the pic ^_^

wrong shaped case which is too thick and with bulpy lugs (IMHO a modern DJ case or something like that), no lugholes, wrong bezel etc.

now it looks like that. not finished yet and it has not the demand to be accurate, still wrong crystal, wrong fat hand, insert and some other things i have to do, but i like it better than before. and it has a thin case, i tried to model it after the case of my 1675:

64054-34117.jpg

reshaping the case (that was intense work and took around 10-12 hours incl. sanding back to

shine), drilled lugholes:

64054-34118.jpg

slowly sanding progresses :bangin: (that took the longest time, my fingers still hurt):

64054-34119.jpg

then springbars, dial and hands aging. i like it looking old (where is nanuq? :D )...

64054-34120.jpg

64054-34121.jpg

64054-34122.jpg

64054-34123.jpg

64054-34124.jpg

*EDIT*: new pics :)

64054-34125.jpg

64054-34126.jpg

64054-34127.jpg

64054-34128.jpg

or with aged insert:

64054-34129.jpg

64054-34130.jpg

64054-34131.jpg

Edited by palpatine

i have so many ideas in my head at the moment, its terrible...(because i have not enough time). i think they accumulated during the last months :D

but i need someone who is able to use a milling machine.. soon, soon....... :akuma:

ANYBODY?

ANYBODY?

BUELLER?

Edited by palpatine

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Magnificent!

The watch looks great, but I see a couple things I'd touch up. 1) Of course, the 6:00 endlink... you can straighten that out a bit yourself to fit the lugs profile. 2) I'd go with the newer insert, and make sure it snaps down into the bezel correctly... one of your pics has it poking out at the 6:00 edge. 3) Keep looking for a thin minutes hand.

I love the rounded/worn look you achieved on the tops of your lugs! Very accurate!

Excellent! That case/crown combination is very very nice.

Thanks! :)

endlink is already fixed (although i like teh look, you can see this on some of the genuine vinatages too, thats when the endlink tubes are broken and the endlink does not sit properly against the case anymore), and yes, good eyes, the insert was not properly seated, i just put it on teh watch quickly for the pic :p

thin minute hands is ordered :D

soon it will be finished!

That is one gorgeous piece!!

I wish I had the expertise, abilities and equipment to do something like this with the watch I recv'd from Nanuq! I've thought about swapping out the dial and movement on the triple red sub with one from an eta 5513. Any tips and advice on how/where to start, where to source parts, etc? Thanks.

And again, great work Palp.

Climb on.