When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

World Cup Predictions

Undermeman

England too if they can ever retain possession instead of hitting long balls to midget strikers (that's you Owen and Rooney). For the first time, I feel England have a chance, but after yesterday's match, the same old failings are there. Gerrard is shackled in a defensive midfield role which wastes him. Crouch needs support or his flicks and headers won't be useful.

England need to play evening games. Afternoon heat favours the south-american and african teams. See how quickly they wore out in the second half? I sure hope they don't have to play in 35deg heat against a dangerous team.

Oh, and Lampard is looking good. Put Rooney on the pitch just to get the heat of Lampard and we'll put a few in the backs of nets.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sure hope they don't have to play in 35deg heat against a dangerous team.

They didn't have to play in 35 degree heat against Paraguay so that shouldn't be an issue. It was 28.

My problem is that football players are pussy's it takes a month for a world cup playing 1 game evry 4-6 days, and they complain about it being too tough on them.

I am playing in a european championships this summer in Gibraltar in approx the same heat if not hotter, nd we will be playing 5 internationals in 7 days, THATS TOUGH!!!, none of his nancy football rubbish.

However being a ex Hearts youth, before they asked me to decide between football and education, I do love footall.

England have the team to win but WON'T, don't ask why, they just won't. SIMPLE.

For me Brazil are obviously the team to beat but Argentina and Holland look good, Ivory Coast also look like they could cause an upset or so. There are the perennial powerhouses of Italy and France and Spain.

However at 33-1 what a cracking outside bet Czech Republic are as Nedved is AWESOME!!!

If only they could bring this team back,

67066-33591.jpg

Never mind the team, if only they could recreate that '82 tournament - my 'first' and still the best - the little orange mascot Naranjito, that breathtaking Brazil team of Zico, Socrates, Falcao etc, Paolo Rossi, THAT match and of course Tardelli in the final :yahoo: for me, probably THE defining World Cup image of all.

Ok enough of the sweet smell of nostalgia...

My so-called 'home' team (England)....well, despite all the media hype (and some of you suckers here tipping us :rolleyes: ) as I feared/expected, yesterday was very much 'business as usual'....an inept clueless tactically-naive shocking performance <_<, all of which can be blamed on our pathetic excuse for a national coach.

67066-33592.jpg

The only silver lining (despite the result) is that at least now no-one will be crapping their pants in fear about facing us - instead they'll be pissing their pants with laughter/joy/excitement :lol:

Hopefully (please God) I'll get some solace cheering on my second team, the pathologically-underachieving Spanish :blink::lol:

Edited by docblackrock

They didn't have to play in 35 degree heat against Paraguay so that shouldn't be an issue. It was 28.

EXACTLY, well said Chris, just another pathetic excuse...

England have the team to win but WON'T, don't ask why, they just won't. SIMPLE.

Preaching to the converted here :D he's not wrong you lot

However at 33-1 what a cracking outside bet Czech Republic are as Nedved is AWESOME!!!

What you mean the dark horses' dark horse??? Sorry have to disagree, I think as a squad they're past their peak (1996-2004) even though Pavel is capable of the odd star turn in an easy match, he has very dodgy knees and is prone to burnout. But you never know with the Czechs I'll grant you - if Rosicky steps up and Baros plays as he did in Euro 2004 (the 'shop window' factor ;)) then maybe a SF place will be theirs.

Um, we won? It's commentary, not excuses, if you win.

I believe they are using it as an EXCUSE for their lackluster and generally uninspiring performance, that leaves NO-ONE really dreading playing them.

They will indeed perform better and will no doubt make QF anf possibly even SF but I really just can't see them winning.

Oh and if I see anymore F***ING '66 TV shows I am gonna puke. They even got Ricky Tomlinson looking for the bloody shirts.

GET OVER IT it was 40 years ago. Don't see brasil constantly shoving ALL of their wins in people's faces they let their performances do their talking and I really wish England would do the same. It is the same old story the Media ruin it for everyone. No-one really has a problem with the team, they are pretty good, it's just the bloody media that pisses everyone off.

Oh and the asshat fans who cover their houses in flags and rubbish like that, as well as the propensity for violence after having drunken themselves into a stuper. Less us forget the incompetant manager, that will not be missed by the fans, although the new manager currently has a big input into what's going on so maybe things wont really change that much??

Oh and if I see anymore F***ING '66 TV shows I am gonna puke. They even got Ricky Tomlinson looking for the bloody shirts.

The advantage of living in France as an Englishman is I don't get 1966 TV [censored] and every time a frenchman starts saying 1998, I just ask them how many goals they scored in the last world cup ...

Ahh Shaun didnt know you were a kindred spirit!

Tell you what.......

To ease the anguish of the forthcoming weeks you can avail yourself of any one of my watches....

@ 50% DISCOUNT !!!

:yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah:

Hey wait on a sec................I hate soccer too :bounce:

Ken

As much as I would like to see England do well, they are still to suspect. Midfield is brilliant, forwards can be if they are in the mod, but everything behind the midfield is too suspect.

If you review history, you would expect a European team to win as the have done every time in Europe with one exception but I'm not sure if anyone besides Germany or maybe Italy is capable. It does only take one team to win, though. Holland has the talent, as do Spain and France, but I don't see it happening for them.

Of course, there is Brazil and Argentina has much to prove after the last WC debacle.

The African teams will strugle with organization in the back and won't make it past the quarters.

In the end, it looks like Brazil and Germany in the finals, but only time will tell.

Hey wait on a sec................I hate soccer too :bounce:

Ken

I think the sympathy is that they have to suffer around the clock 1966 nostalgia on the TV!

ENGLISH HEAT:

I was quite bemused watching England make such a carry on in the 28 degree heat. It's summer - a bit of a constant in World Cup competitions! The English team admit being taken by surprise, they haven't trained in warm weather, and John Terry said, “My feet felt like they were on fire.”

Meanwhile Joe Cole said, "“It was as hot out there as it was in Japan four years ago and Portugal for Euro 2004.”

Hmm, so in other words - it was exactly the same temperature as your last two international tournaments! :lol:

What in the world are they carrying on about?! "Ya coupla fannies!"

Anyway - Austraya kick off their campaign today!! Will be mucho drinko before kick-off at 11pm EST. Watch out for me talking shite! :lol:

John Terry said, “My feet felt like they were on fire.”

Meanwhile Joe Cole said, "“It was as hot out there as it was in Japan four years ago and Portugal for Euro 2004.”

What in the world are they carrying on about?! "Ya coupla fannies!"

What else do you expect from Chel$ea players (or Chavski/Chavscum as we like to call them here)???

Moaning, whingeing, lame excuses when things don't go well...I mean, it's practically their club's motto, as preached by their leader aka the 'not-so-special one'. Just pray England don't make the SF, as Terry, Cole and Lampard don't cope with semis very well ;):lol:

Take a leaf out of (the probably very frustrated) Stevie G's book, boys (or should that be girls) - no excuses acceptable you were just [censored] - accept it, admit it and move on.

The fact that they got the win annoys me even more - I was praying Paraguay got a (deserved) equaliser - at least then people would have been forced to sit up, take notice and change things (i.e. drop Lampard bring Carrick on at DM, and fro chrissake let Gerrard do what he does best further forward). Instead, the 'we still got 3 points' mentality prevails, Eriksson still hasn't a clue about tactics, man-management or leadership, and the England camp will blunder on in blind faith, deluded as ever until they meet a decent team at which point it will be 'auf wiedershen'.

I know it's going to happen, I'd rather it happen sooner than the inevitable drawn out painful surrender that usually occurs :yawn:

Let us be quite clear. The 2 best player that England have are Terry and Lampard. Gerrard is also quality but not in the same class as Lampard. Who thinks this..........The best managers and players in the world as they were voted as the 2 best english players in the world the last 2 years running, and Ronaldinho (who isn't bad you know) reckons that Lampard is the best player in the world and would love to play in the same team as him.

Gerrard is quality NO-ONE is denying that but who in their right mind would EVER drop Lampard for Gerrard......NONE of the top coaches...and no-one in their right mind.

England have the same problems they always have. Owen is a good player but vastly overrated and Ronney is yet another overrated little [censored], who has had the whole world handed to him on a plate, and will still manage to [censored] it up.

The decision when Rooney is fit to play should not be between Rooney and Crouch, it should be between Rooney and Owen. Why would you possibly play 2 5"?' forwards when you have the single best crosser of the ball in the world. Crouch has to play as he adds a dimension that England both need and have been lacking.

As for Walcott......what a fujin Joke that is.

Let us be quite clear. The 2 best player that England have are Terry and Lampard. Gerrard is also quality but not in the same class as Lampard.
I sense there's going to be a little disagreement here :starwars:

For starters, that would be the same Lampard who has Champions League and FA Cup winners medals, would it? Not to mention PFA award voted by his fellow players (rather than dodgy political FIFA 'ratings'). Pele thinks Gerrard is the best player in the world, and as an independent judge (which obviously I am not) that's good enough for me - I mean, he has a little more experience and intelligence than old Goofy (love the avatar thomasng!)

Gerrard is quality NO-ONE is denying that but who in their right mind would EVER drop Lampard for Gerrard......NONE of the top coaches...and no-one in their right mind.
Are you calling me insane then :bleh:? Eriksson is NOT a top coach for a start not even an average one. Lampard, whilst quality on his day, is simply lazy - can't play defensively, he doesn't track back and help out, doesn't have the work ethic, not his fault just that is how he plays for Chelsea where he has Makalele to do his dirty work. However, he does not have the ability to really dominate and command a game from the front like Gerrard does, especially when the chips are down, and it is THAT quality alone that England will need in the coming weeks if they are to be successful. Right now, the tactics are geared to accomodate both in the team but its not working together, one has to go, yes it's a tough decision but there's a lot of denial going around - simply put, the team needs to be greater than the sum of the parts.

As for Walcott......what a fujin Joke that is.
Couldn't agree with you more there - a sick joke at that, WTF Sven was thinking to pick him (for others here, he's a 17 year old who the coach has never actually seen play and has not even played a single match in the Premiership :blink:). Still having picked him, he's now actually scared to play him :lol: (rightly so, but then why bloody pick him? :rolleyes: ).

Poor poor Jermaine Defoe :( a great season and he loses out to two crocks and a schoolboy...

That's it now, sorry for going on, just annoyed at the whole thing :pinch::wallbash: . Actually Chris, there IS one simple explanation why England won't win the WC - it is because those old farts at the FA didn't have the balls on numerous occasions to do what had to be done and sack that useless Swede. And to think, Real Madrid think he's the answer to their problems, haha!!!!!

Gerrard is a quality playe and no-one is denying that. Frank Lampard has won Fans Player of the Year and last years Sports Writers Player of the Year, and of course second only to ronaldinho in FIFA WORLD, yes WORLD not english Player of the year.

Lampard is simply awesome, he can do everything, I think you'll find that he was 5th top goalscorer in the league last year, not bad for a midfielder, and in fact scored as many, and actually more than the England front line did last season, quality strikeforce. So this would be the same Lampard that can't lead from the front and make a game of it, who scored all these goals then.

You watched the game against Paraguay, apart from that aborsionate goal that England scored the only decent attepmts at goal were the ones that Lampard fashioned for himself.

Don't get me wrong Gerrard is quality and a real MUST in any side but there is NO WAY that you can justify dropping Lampard, which was your original point.

i.e. drop Lampard bring Carrick on at DM, and fro chrissake let Gerrard do what he does best further forward

So basically your rational is that Gerrard is a better tackler than Lampard. You want to see a defensive midfielder play INSTEAD of Lampard, and move Gerrard further forward.

Now let's see, Lampard 16 goals last season in the premiership, and Gerrard is a better option at attacking midfield?? I think not. So maybe if you think that there is a need for a more out in out defensive midfielder, then they should drop one of Gerrard or Lampard......

OK so given the decision, would you :

A - Want someone who can tackle

or B - Want some one who scores GOALS!!

To be your out in out attacking midfielder......NO BRAINER!!!

If you HAD to drop either, and I am not advocating that whatsoever, cos for me they'd both play, then the OBVIOUS choice is to drop Gerrard not Lampard.

:lol: as I said it's :starwars:

I know where you're coming from.....just we have polar opposite interpretations of certain facts, let's just leave it that ;)

Win or lose, I just want to see some good football played :D

p.s. is it just me, or does it never seem quite like the World Cup's officially started until Brazil are in town??? :whistling:

All I wanna see is England play the best game they can, and still get beat, no controversy, no excuses, just that they are beaten by a better team.

Maybe then the madia will shut the F**K up??

Can't wait to see Brasil, and it never seems like the WC starts until we get past the games in which there are still SH*TE teams playing.

The WC has gone too PC for me, Angola, Costa Rica and Trinidad and Tobago make a mockery of the WC IMHO.

I understand that we have to try and keep it fair but there should just be a qualifying tournament from which the top 32 teams in the world regardless of geographical location are represented in the WC, whether that be 25 teams from europe or not it shouldn't matter.

The olympics is the competition in which the mantra is inclusion regardless of ability, NOT the WC, it's meant to be the top 32 in the world and it's not unfortunately.

This is not sour grapes for Scotland not qualifying cos we could make it the top 45 and Scotland still wouldn't have qualified cos we are [censored]!!

Perfect example, the 4th and 5th officials in the england game were from Benine and Rwanda respectiveley.

What quality football is played in Rwanda, they polly still play on dry mud, and let's be honest they have never produced anything in the footballing world.

And Benine.......well first off, where the FU*K is Benine??................nuff said

The WC has gone too PC for me, Angola, Costa Rica and Trinidad and Tobago make a mockery of the WC IMHO.

Perfect example, the 4th and 5th officials in the england game were from Benine and Rwanda respectiveley.

What quality football is played in Rwanda, they polly still play on dry mud, and let's be honest they have never produced anything in the footballing world.

Hmm...like your thinking. What we need is a Baseball 'World Series' style competition, basically with just two countries: Scotland and the Isle of Wight. :lol:

Then again..........

67458-33472.jpg

Suffering from shite referees at the moment - Japan scored while Australian goalkeeper was being rugby tackled. The linesman, who is from that hotbed of professional football Mali, missed it. Egyptian referee is all over the shop....

[EDIT: Quick panic there - I know how to spell Isle of Wight! Guy who did the pic didn't!]

Edited by cornerstone

Regarding inclusion of newcomers to the Cup, I can understand your sentiments. How can there be a World Cup without other noteworthy past contenders like Hungary, Scotland, Irleand, Denmark, Columbia, etc. And you won't find me skipping work to watch scintillating matchups like Korea-Togo, Tunisia-Saudi Arabia, or Japan-Australia (sorry Ken).

On the other hand, Europe has its championship, as does South America, and Africa for that matter. So I do think the World Cup should go out of its way to be inclusive. Adn the quality of play (or lack of quality) shown so far suggests that a Trinidad can go head to head with a Sweden, Angola can play decently against Portugal, etc. In fact, I'm looking forward to a few matches where the underdogs catch some traditional soccer powers napping. Face it, the level of play by these "secondary" countries is improving, and international play, including inclusion in the World Cup, plays a big part in this. In my opinion, soccer and soccer fans are the ultimate winners from the diversity of the draw.

Don't think it's PC to include other lesser nations - although I agree Europe is under-represented unfairly.

Let's take Australia for example, have never made to a WC before this year because despite always winning their Oceania group they as always had to play-off against one of the (stronger) losing South American sides. However, this time they did it and beat Uruguay.

Now they're there.....1-0 down v a superior (on paper) Japan with 5 mins left.....yet 3-1 winners up at full time!

Got to respect that :notworthy: they never gave up (learnt that from Harry K and his club experience ;) ) and pulled off a great result that will make others sit up and take notice.....unlike England.

But then they also have a great coach in Hiddink....