When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Single Most Important Factor In The Believability Of A Rep...

eye.surgeon

Forget subdial spacing and CG mods. The single biggest determing factor in how convincing your rep looks is you. If you have the means to buy the real thing, people will not question what you are wearing. If you don't have the means to buy the watch, no matter how perfect the rep, people will snicker behind your back.

Example-- many famous stars wear faux diamonds. Elizabeth Taylor, for example, wears enormous faux diamond rings, etc. but everyone just assumes that they are real because people believe she can afford it.

I have lots of Rolex reps including some $20k+ reps that I can wear with no problem because I have a (fairly) high profile job with an income deep into six figures. People just assume they are real.

People pulling up to the restaurant in a 6 year old 325 but wearing a rep that is worth more than their car, it's just not believable. People that live with their parents, I mean come on, I would just assume their sub is fake even if it's MBW or whatever.

The biggest mistake people make in buying reps is buying beyond what is believable for THEM. If you have a middle class income, home, car, etc. then DON"T buy a Paul Newman Daytona or a platinum day-date. Buy something that you could conceivably own like a steel omega or something like that.

Just my 0.02.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Makes sense to me. It doesn't hurt if you're wife has a large engagement ring on her finger as well. :lol: It also makes sense that if you are someone who appears the part no one is looking at you're hand and you are not looking at theirs either. I never think twice about someone else's wrist. Then again I am not hanging around with 18 year olds either. At least not the ones who can afford expensive gens.:)

Appearance isn't everything though. I personally know several individuals who own genuine Rolex, AP, etc. dress very casually, drive very un-flashy cars, live in very modest houses, yet make great money, and on occassion, buy a nice watch. I've seen several 'polls' on TZ and other watch forums inquiring on what cars people drive- Every now and then, people will mention a high profile vehicle, but I've seen many replies with Honda Elements, Ford F-150's, 7 year old BMW's etc.

I also know people who try to appear to live the lifestyle, yet they are in credit debt up to their eyeballs, and can only afford to eat mac and cheese and peanut butter sandwiches for dinner. I have a few friends like this.

Personally, I have a mix of reps and gens, live very comfortably in our little house with my wife who stays at home to raise our son- I drive a 5 year old C Class and she has a 2 year old A4. I wear Ralph Lauren Polos untucked and the same pair of jeans almost every day to the office :) My only debt is our house and 1 car :) I'm coming up on 30 years old soon and have never had a credit card in my life. My income is only into the 6 figures, but for us it's enough to live comfortably on, and, on occassion buy nice things when we decide to splurge a little. I may not have a brand new BMW, and we don't live in a 3000sq ft house, but it wouldn't be a stretch to own a genuine Rolex either.

I guess what my point is... Appearances can be deceiving, and everyone's financial situation is different ;) Just because they don't look the part doesn't mean they can't.

I would have to agree that expensive watches are usually to found on the wrists of people with expensive tastes. Almost without exception, every genuine watch I have seen "in the wild" has been on the wrist of someone wearing decent clothes, with a decent haircut who looks reasonably healthy and is over 25. Of course there will be exceptions, but unless you can convince people you are an eccentric billionaire who likes to dress in shabby clothes, eat exclusively at fast food restaurants and buy $15,000 Patek Philippe watches, your advice about matching reps to image holds true :)

People pulling up to the restaurant in a 6 year old 325 but wearing a rep that is worth more than their car

Whats wrong with a 6 year old 325? I spent a lot of money on it when I bought it new. Its still worth a good chunk of change... :cc_confused:

Here is a photo of my "6 year old 325". I'm 28 years old and I own several gen IWCs and other high profile gens.... people say I look like I'm 18 and I dress like a scrub...

image isn't everything.

66544-33656.jpg

Almost without exception, every genuine watch I have seen "in the wild" has been on the wrist of someone wearing decent clothes, with a decent haircut who looks reasonably healthy and is over 25.

The guy who wears this watch wears tracksuits and slouchy clothes and doesn't look like he is that well-off:

66569-33653.jpg

It is of course genuine and he bought it with spare money just so he could have a bit of bling. He doesn't understand watches and assumed my Sub was real.

Count me as one of those guys who mostly wears jeans and a polo or t-shirt to work. And I work with people who wear similar (or even more ordinary) clothing. But most are pretty well off, and many have great cars and houses, and some even wear very nice watches, such as Breitlings and Rolexes. So most of my reps blend in quite nicely. Having said that, I still would not wear a watch that is inappropriate to me, which means I lean toward "sporty dressy."

Although I do not completely disagree with eye surgeon's initial post, I might point out that our commander in chief, supposedly the most powerful man on earth (much as it pains me to say that) wears a casio or timex. And you have hip hop "artists" (and it pains to pair those two terms as well) who wear APs and Daytonas. In addition rock stars, and other creative types can be swimming in cash, wear torn jeans (doesn't it get you when torn jeans sell for several hundred dollars?)... and wear very nice watches.

By the way, Ron, I like the self portrait in your new avatar.

I think that eyesurgeon is largely correct on the matter, although the above scenarios provide exceptions to the rule.

On the whole, if you are high profile and make bucks, even a poorly done rep. will be 100% convincing.

On the other hand, if you look like a scrub, then people may question your 25K watch (unless your a drug dealer).

So, either be rich or tell people that you are a drug dealer and you'll be fine...just buy the 60 dollar reps.

I agree 100% that one's age and profession is a larger determining factor than the correctness of the rep. I work in an affluent suburb of Chicago and have seen many gen DJ, a few Presidents and 2 Daytonas. I am over 50 and work in a profession where a nice Rollie would not seem out of place. Last week I wore my new VC RG 1755 that I got from Niel. I love this watch and the rich look and feel. I noticed a couple people staring at my wrist. Especially one lady who gave a good long look. I suspect she works in the jewelry business. She didn't say any thing but must have been thinking,"Is that real". This watch sells for about 25K.

66607-33647.jpg

Maverick

People that live with their parents....

..probably have the most disposable income of all of us, especially if they are in gainful employment. my brother still stays 'at home' amd owns a hi-fi system that is worth more than my car!!

My cousin and her husband still live with her mother, and she drives a Mercedes M-Class. She's a schoolteacher.

I made the point of this thread a few days ago (search for 'Us Poor Folk'). Oh, and Pug - I have a rep of that same watch and I keep it for the irony of the whole thing!! Apart from the movement and the giveaway weight, it is probably the most visually accurate rep I own.

Edited by r11co

Oh, and Pug - I have a rep of that same watch and I keep it for the irony of the whole thing!! Apart from the movement and the giveaway weight, it is probably the most visually accurate rep I own.

I picked one up for 35€ myself, and the weight is a huge difference. The real thing is so heavy it feels like it's got its own gravity well. Gold on gold with added gold and gold bits tends to weigh quite a bit, see.

I have one friend who owns a medical supply manufacturing company worth several million dollars. This guy is loaded and has all these authentic watches, but he can't dress for the life of him! He wears warm up suits and dresses like he's going to the beach every day. If I didn't know him I'd probably assume that all his stuff is fake.

It's my theory that middle and upper middle class people who can buy authentic watches almost always dress the part, but millionaires for some reason are a craps shoot. Sometimes they dress like bums. If you saw Richard Branson walking down the street in shorts and a tshirt you'd probably scream FAKE FAKE FAKE if you saw him wearing a solid gold daytona. Anyway, I agree that people shouldn't be buying most Rolex replicas, most Rolex models are rather bland anyway and are more at home on the wrist of my 81 year old grandfather on the golf course.

OK, here we go...

I drive a tatty old Vauxhall Astra, earn £16,000 a year. I have a few friends who earn a shedload more than I do and some of them have gen Rolexes, one of them owns a diamond importing company and has a big fat AP Royal Oak. Hell my little brother earns more than I do and has a nice gen Tag Steve McQueen Monaco...

Everyone I know knows I can't afford a gen Pam 196 (7753 BTW ;) ) but they still look at it in awe and want to hold it and caress it everytime they see me out wearing it. I know it's a rep, they know it's a rep but they still love it.

As do I.

Actually, how one carrry's oneself is probably better evidence. I own two types of clothing. Very nice suits and sweatpants. I drive my kids to school every day in a Ford Expedition. Then again I live in New York City and take the subway to work afterward. Obviously vocation is a great indicator. But what is difficult to explain is that you usually know within a couple of minutes of talking to someone if they are higher income, independently wealthy or not. In general, I have to say that I never think twice about what is on someone else's wrist. Except for mine. :lol:

My dad had no ability to dress up well, but never wore anything worst then a golden Omega, watch-wise; on the other hand he did drive nice cars...I hate when people wear crap watches to keep low profile, if they can afford a good watch they should do so, else they have no style or have no respect for keeping time...

Edited by Polynomial

I agree that age and social status are important here. As I am a 22yr old student, a teenager I could say, I wear casual jeans and shirts nobody will ever believe me that my pam is real. Cuz how can I have a watch valued over 3K euro as I drive a 21yr old VW Passat (which I love btw :))?

I can only assure them its a hobby. Nothing more.

My dad had no ability to dress up well, but never wore anything worst then a golden Omega, watch-wise; on the other hand he did drive nice cars...I hate when people wear crap watches to keep low profile, if they can afford a good watch they should do so, else they have no style or have no respect for keeping time...

everyone has different priorities, preferences, and responsibilities. just because they have money doesn't mean they should buy something that you like. you can't critized them that they have no style or respect for keeping time.

My boss makes 3 times more than me and he wears a swiss army watch. But he has a nice home, cars, and kids. A watch is not important to him.

My thoughts on the matter for what they are worth.

I dont give a toss what people think. I buy reps because I like them. I enjoy intricate pieces of engineering and prefer to spend my hard earned money on other things (like an Overfinched Range Rover :D ). I dont try and bluff that they are real and really dont care what others think. If anyone ever did ask, I would tell them its a rep, no doubt. I dont feel I need to 'pretend' or bluff. I hope my personality will allow people to judge me.

My dad once told me the real sign of style and class (neither can be bought) was shoes and watch. Any [censored] can buy and wear an Armarni suit and drive a 'flash' motor but the real sign of a gent was wrist and feet. I enjoy wearing classy footwear (the wife calls me Imelda) and I enjoy wearing a nice timepiece on my wrist.......for me and no one else. It makes me feel good. End of story really!

I guess I'm sort of a weirdo... college educated, professional and I'm in management but I'm a blue collar wannabee :rolleyes:

I've whittled my professional time down to 3 days a week and I run a welding and machine shop on the side so when I'm not "working" I usually dress like a mechanic with my name over the pocket and everything. I do pretty well at both gigs but they are so diametrically opposed that folks who don't know me well just can't get their minds around it...

Vintage all the way for me :D I'm just not a bling sort of guy.

This is the closest thing I have to a BMW...

http://www.mcasta.ru/eng/motorcycle/imz-gearup.html

Seriously... Mine's olive drab with an FN-FAL mounted on the car.

While this topic's starting consideration is a thoughtful one, it seems assuming that everyone is wearing reps to foolish people.

I care very little if people wonder about my watch being a rep or a gen. I wear my watch not for people but for myself, and because of two different (actually, almost opposite) reasons:

1 - I like the look of that watch and I have better ways to spend a 90% money difference for a 10% quality difference (if any).

My next rep is likely going to be the PAM 147 from Joshua, i.e. the most unaccurate and (to me) most beautiful watch ever. And I'm thinking about reluming some of my reps in blue as it is my preferred color.

2 - Because sort of an intellectual challenge that brings me to say: "See, OP, I got this rep, it has same movement as gen, I putted in it same datewheel as gen, same cyclops as gen, same AR crystal as gen, same waterproof as gen, same everything as gen, it even has box and cards and bells and twistles as gen... same feel and look as gen... then how came that you sell it at 10x what I paid for it?"

Some of my reps are here on reason 1, some on 2. But both those reasons are essentially self-oriented.