When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Members Help Needed

vlydog

The facts:

I received a SSD as a gift.

I have not owned any Rolex REPS until now and to be perfectly honest I haven't quite warmed up to them yet.

If it grows on me and I decided to keep it, I plan on sinking about $450.00 on the watch in mods.

The watch was free so I am only out the costs of the mods.

I also have had my eye on one of Tourby's new Pilot watches.

I have one of his decorated movements already.

450us would get me the additional parts I would need to complete and assemble the Tourby Pilot.

I can only afford one choice hear.

A Rolex would add more diversity to my collection since I already have a fully modded 3717 but I love the look of the knurled bezel pilot from Tourby.

The question remains:

Should I

Mod the SSD

or

Sell the SSD and buy the Pilot?

pilotblue012.jpg

Sell the SSD and buy the Pilot?

This one. Go with what you know.

You got a sweetheart deal with the SSD (I'd like to have your friends!), but SSDs are a dime a dozen now. I have bought raffle tickets in two forums where I could score two of 'em.

Tourby's Pilot watches are unique and therefore worth it, IMHO. Good luck, Vlydog!

@ Victoria, Teejay, Kenberg and deltatahoe, thank you for your opinions and recommendations. Here is a bit more information that you asked for.

The modification would be performed by Ziggy. I had planned on a movement service, an installation of gen crown and tube, crown guard work, re-lume and new bezel insert.

Ken if you don't have a SSD already let me know. This one may disappear.

Victoria, Tourby's watches have several strap options; I may need your help.

More opinions, please.

The modification would be performed by Ziggy. I had planned on a movement service, an installation of gen crown and tube, crown guard work, re-lume and new bezel insert.

a movement service on an out of the box ETA movement (albeit from our rep manufacturers) is a waste imho....the other mods would likely be well worth it, but could probably be done for ~$250 in total i would guess....

if it were my money, i'd buy a new $20 insert for the SSD and spend the rest to buy a tourby pilot....

deltatahoe

@ deltatahoe: If I decide not to mod the SSD I think I will sell it. I already have the insert and the gen crown so of course these will have to go as well. My feeling on the movement service is that if Ziggy has the watch for the mods I might as well get it serviced. Every watch I have has had the works performed. I believe in quality over quantity.

@ FxrAndy: IMO the lume is weak on my SSD.

Thank you both for your help.

It appears to me that you really would prefer to have the Pilot rather than the SSD. Besides, The Zigmeister has vanished for the time being and it is uncertain when or if he will return. Sell the SSD and get the Pilot if you want to be happy in the long run. :D

Edited by jdavis

No brainer for me....sell the SSD....no offence to the Rolex guys...but the SSD is plain and ordinary....yes, it is nice to have in your collection....but Tourby's Pilot offerings are something special.....he will be getting my money sometime soon....his Brequet style offerings are beautiful.... :wub:

!@#%&&^$$$ DOLLAR to EURO s U c Ks :angry:

A few of the members here mmmm excuse me, Supporters here have a few of his watches and the pictures drive me nuts! :crazy:

I hope to have one of these days soon...So, in short...sell the SSD and the get the Tourby :thumbsupsmileyanim: