When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Confessions of a smaller sized wrist?

mezzanine

I can't help but wonder if part of Rolex's secret recipe for success as a watchmaker has been their hollow mid-link bracelet and traditional sizing. Maybe their traditional sizing works against them in the modern market with the larger size of popular watches- but in terms of every-day wear, there's no getting around the fact of their superior comfort level. My wrist is probably just under 7 inches, which is a little less than average. I'm sure you might know how guys who are undersized can feel when all of the other dudes are flashing around their 8+ inchers, making those fiddy's look scared .

I love my MBW AP ROO, it's an awesome watch. But as a daily beater, it's probably too big for me to not be conscious of during the day. I appreciate a comfortable watch. It's underrated in a lot of our discussion here. After having owned a fair number of watches, I've started to value some of the simple things.

I like wearing my 112 on crazy horse because it's comfortable with the leather strap. I decided to have a couple of all-purpose daily beaters that would be sub-style, of average size, that I can forget about while it's on my wrist because it weighs relatively little compared to some of the monsters that we all have come to love. Those will only come out at night. Probably from a shaded area of my closet.

:animal_rooster:

I don't think it's only a wrist issue. I have a 8' wrist and that doesn't make these oversized hockey pucks look any more balanced.

They're just ridiculous. 45mm is too big, and after the initial honeymoon with UPO was over it started to feel awfully clumsy. Whenever I changed the UPO to SMP chrono or GMT Master I realized how grossly oversized it was. Maybe it's even more apparent on UPO, because PO is such "basic" watch design wise, the dial and overall looks are very simplistic: There's not much going on.

Maybe

hard to say By-tor, I have a 6.5 inche wrist and the UPO initally feels sorta awkward, but it definitely doesn't look awkward. but I think drawing the line at 45.5 is good for me. Anything bigger i.e Omega Railmaster XXL (which is still in my box) is hard to get around to wearing. But I do agree that the bracelet makes a big difference. I feel that if I could source a nice 24mm strap for the XXL, I may just be able to get away with it...just maybe...

I think the smaller 42.5mm Planet Ocean is absolutely perfect in every way. What an amazing watch, and 100X nicer than the XXL.

I wish they'd release a Ultimate version (with double AR) of the smaller one. I'd buy it immediately.

I think the smaller 42.5mm Planet Ocean is absolutely perfect in every way. What an amazing watch, and 100X nicer than the XXL.

I wish they'd release a Ultimate version (with double AR) of the smaller one. I'd buy it immediately.

!!!!! YES :D

Sold my uPO... and I do not miss it! No fun wearing it really.

When they re-release the smaller PO they can as well re-do some other watches...SMP -.-

I don't think it's only a wrist issue. I have a 8' wrist and that doesn't make these oversized hockey pucks look any more balanced.

They're just ridiculous. 45mm is too big, and after the initial honeymoon with UPO was over it started to feel awfully clumsy. Whenever I changed the UPO to SMP chrono or GMT Master I realized how grossly oversized it was. Maybe it's even more apparent on UPO, because PO is such "basic" watch design wise, the dial and overall looks are very simplistic: There's not much going on.

Maybe

This is such a good idea...they did it for the Ingy, why wouldn't they do it for the fourth gen PO?

:lol:

I would buy one for sure. Do it right, though, a complete re-design...and while you're at it, release a new Seamaster that is super-rep quality as well. It seems fitting to me that the first watch I ever got would still be a pinnacle for me in terms of comfort and size and style, an Omega SMP 007. If I get a gen, it will be an SMP. My MBW rollies are pretty close, individually...makes me wonder, once in a while.. :o

Nomination for Best Or Most Comedic Title in a Post for December. ;)

I'm sure you might know how guys who are undersized can feel when all of the other dudes are flashing around their 8+ inchers,

:lol:

I like wearing my 112 on crazy horse because it's comfortable with the leather strap.

I confess, I prefer my 112 to the Fiddy. Don't get me wrong -- I love the Fiddy. It's not a gorilla watch at all, as one member uncharitably puts it. But the 44mm PAMs are perfection.

Whatever hoodoo that they do, visually, makes it look slim on one's wrist. Even my 5.7".

But yeah, I've been buying more and more Rolexes, Cartiers, Chopards, Guccis, a Tag, etc. The reason has to be size.

You grab a 35mm-40mm Rolex or Cartier when you're in a hurry, and with one click, it's on your wrist. You don't have to worry about it raining and wearing a pricey leather strap, etc. And it'll be discrete peaking from under one's blouse (shirt), or dress (suit).

Although Slai's peek-a-boo PAM crown shots are great. :wub:

The trend of big watches won't abate soon, though.

Boomers need the hockey pucks as their eyes grow older. :lol:

Well, the PO is an exception because it wears extremely large due to the rather badly designed end links which stick straight out and add another 10mm to the top and bottom of the watch. But if you take it off the metal bracelet and put it on a leather strap it wears a bit smaller. Even so, it's a "look at me" type of watch, not unlike the IWC Cousteau divers or the Breitling SOSF and just about every Panerai in existence. Large and bulky is the point, so if that doesn't suite then none of these watches are managable and it's just best to go with something smaller. Not that theres any lack of good reps in the 42mm range and lower - Breit Navi's, IWC GST's and Inge, Tag Links and Carrera's, the Rollie SSD and various MBW's. Personally I tend to wear smaller watches in the summer with short sleeves, and larger watches in the winter with long sleeves.

Aquaracer chrono is about 43mm, and while it's very big it doesn't feel oversized or unbalanced. Don't know why, maybe it's the square design.

Here's it on my 8' wrist.

IMG_5851.jpg

Submariner for comparison. A bit smallish, eh? :lol:

IMG_5692.jpg

MBW APROO on its way and i have small wrist size lol..Strange that people here think the UPO is acward and still the APRRO is ok humm is not the APROO like much bigger in size?

I use a 42,5mm as daily watch the emergenzy perfect size for my size wrist.

After getting my BCE, it definately took a bit of getting used to, but within a week I found going back to anything smaller felt like going back to a kids watch. Now, I am not a big guy or anything, but anything smaller than that and I just don't feel like I am wearing a watch these days. But then, I don't have the UPO to wonder if it is too big for me... Maybe someone with one they find too big can send it my way to find out :thumbsupsmileyanim:

My wrist is 6 1/2 inches... I wear everything from 34mm Patek Calatrava to standard 37mm Datejust to 44mm pam to 49mm Omega XXL.

On smaller wristed people, most watches look fine (especially with the current trend of bigger=better)

Imagine one of these behemoth people with an 8''+ wrist trying to wear a calatrava... gosh... sub looks tiny on him! People with smaller wrists are luckier when it comes to watch availability imo...

I cringe when I hear people talking about trimming their NATO so the don't have to fold it, because I have to spend extra for the longer 11.5" version, just to get the tip to barely make it to the second loop. Then they are still short on the top side, so the buckle sits on the side of my wrist.

I am always scrounging for obsolete, antique links for my watches to make them fit. The most fun trying to find are the old gold and gold filled chains. I even add extra sections to those old twist-o-flexes everyone seems to hate, just because there is nothing else to use for some watches, sometimes. They made those ones that are not so flexible near the endlinks (top of the wrist) for people like me, so that the bands don't gap open all the way around.

Hell, I say, if you love a watch, wear it. It doesn't matter what size it is. And if you don't love it, sell it to somebody who will love it and wear it...

... like me.

I think there should be a new section on this forum where members can express their inputs on the improvements of each rep.

for example, the UPO should have the correct pearl, logo on dial, etc.

that way, the dealers maybe able to communicate with the rep manufacturers to modify/improve reps to the standards that our members are satisfied with.

it will help with their business too.

I don't think any new reps deserves the title "Ultimate Edition" unless the members agree it deserves the title.

I think a rep can only be titled the "Ultimate" if every visible aspect of it is correct to the gen [except the movement].

"Ultimate" shouldn't need any modification/improvements after we've bought them.

this is my 2 cents.