When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A gen 1675? Well it feel like a rep!

kingkitesurf

After liking the Rolex GMT 1675 for so long and not being able to find a good rep of it I pulled the trigger on TZ and bought a gen '71 1675.

:p

Really you could buy 15 decent reps from the amount.

BUT

It arrived and I don't want to sound like a spoiled kid and the watch is gorgious but it looks so reppie to me. There is an original folded bracelet which rattles like a snake in the desert and feels so light. They polished the thing and its very newish shiny especially the bracelet.

Insert new, tropic new...

You can see the decency but still it looks to nice for a almost 40 year old watch! Well here are some pics...

1675head.jpg

1675head2.jpg

1675head3.jpg

1675caseback.jpg

1675side.jpg

1675serial.jpg

1675type.jpg

1675type2.jpg

1675movement.jpg

What do you think is it 100% gen or do you see abnormalities....

It arrived and I don't want to sound like a spoiled kid and the watch is gorgious but it looks so reppie to me. There is an original folded bracelet which rattles like a snake in the desert and feels so light. They polished the thing and its very newish shiny especially the bracelet.

Insert new, tropic new...

You can see the decency but still it looks to nice for a almost 40 year old watch! Well here are some pics...

1675head.jpg

What do you think is it 100% gen or do you see abnormalities....

If it did not contain a gen 1575, I would definitely have thought it was a rep or franken. As it is, you might consider posting pics on TZ to get some more knowledgeable second opinions. The 1675 is not one of my strong areas.

Looks good to me. Nanuq is our resident expert of the 1675 though.

My dad owns this watch. It's on a standard Oyster bracelet (without the fliplock), but not the folded one. And yes, it's lighter and flimsier than any Rolex rep I've owned. I'm sure the folded bracelet makes it even lighter.

Nevertheless, this is a mighty watch, and probably a good investment. Definitely a keeper.

Wear it well my friend!!!

Nice watch, J!

I have looked at many since I'm also interested in a gen at some point and your looks 100% authentic.

They are lighter than one would think given the super slim case of the 1675 and plexi crystal.. The folded bracelet sounds just about right for the gen; light, thin and flimsy but expensive. :)

Enjoy the new toy!

I'm sure heavy weight champions Nanuq and Euno might just chime on this one. :cool:

welcome to the 1675 club kingkitesurf :victory:

i'm certainly no expert, but it looks gen to me. your has very nice, consistent lume across the hands & dial -- very nice choice (although as i mentioned earlier in my post i prefer the cleaner, minty fresh look).

the flimsy folded bracelet certainly has a different feel -- put together with the slim profile of the 1675, it makes for a very unique watch...

again, congrats on your new piece :thumbsup:

deltatahoe

I like it... the GMT hand is correct in the stack and the case looks right. It's a little different than mine but mine is also a 1964.

I'm not real happy with the GMT hand. It should be REALLY red and mine is a bit longer, so the root of the triangle at the end bisects the hour index dots. It might be nothing more than the newer design.

Beautiful piece! Wanna trade something for that cheap and flimsy piece of junk bracelet? :bounce:

Congratulations KKS! That's a nice looking piece. After comparing to some dials on the VRF dial archive it looks good to me. My 1675 is also a 71 if I remember correctly, but it has a re-dial so it wont help to compare to mine. Case looks good. The 1570 should have timing screws on the balance wheel which I cant make out on your photo, but it may just be the pic-hard to see the screws on photos if the balance is moving. Check out the dial archive on VRF and if you have any doubts post a few pics over on the VRF. Some of the most knowledgable collectors and dealers in the vintage Rolex world frequent that forum and they will be able to render some true professional opinions.

Guest carlsbadrolex

I concur, its a gen... but I think its a gen that was probably in REALLY poor condition at some point. Kinda like buying a car in New Orleans after the floods... New carpet, new engine, new paint.

None the less, its a nice watch, now beat the hell out of it for awhile and put a newer gen bracelet on it and you will have a nice watch!

...now beat the hell out of it for awhile and put a newer gen bracelet on it and you will have a nice watch!

And then send ME that bracelet in the photos! :tu: I need one for my 6536....

i fill ya, you put down probably around 3K and expect everything.. but in reality it is a 30 years old watch that you cant really take out for a swim or just enjoy it cuz you are always worried that its gonna get scratched/damaged/ or stolen. stick to reps until you make enough money to not worry about these things...

It's definitely a Gen... I've seen this shorter GMT hand before (not sure, but it may be a service replacement)... It's obviously been ridden hard and put up wet and dirty for a long unspecified period, where it corroded, but for a 40 year old watch, everything is as good as can reasonably be expected for a tool watch that has actually been used.

Well it well... GREAT FIND.

Congrats man!!! I like that watch big time :wub: ... if you want to sell it or trade for some nice modded watches, do let me know because i am looking for a 1971 rolex myself... it's my year of birth and since my parents didn't buy me a rolex back than, i guess i have to do it myself :lol:

But that brings me to the following... which dealer has the best vintage 1675 replica?

Congrats on your GMT, its a beauty. I hear what your saying about the bracelet too. My GMT had the same folded linker on it when I got it, most folks forget that back in the day Rolex bracelets were not anything fancy and were folded link in a lot of cases. I enquired at an AD on a replacement oyster, and they quoted me $850 for a new one :o . So I ordered an aftermarket jubillee for $50 and installed it myself. Before anyone asks, yes I still have the original oyster and no, its not for sale :p .