When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

K2222 or Chieftang AR coating?

jmt

Was going to go with Chief, but my local watch smith took off and I couldn't get the crystal off. Sent to K2222, and the results were absolutely awesome! But, I had to send watches overseas, which makes me nervous. So, now that I have a new watch smithing resource, I was wondering if the coating were comparable? What do you guys think?

Well I've tried to talk with k2222 via PM to get details about his coating so that we would definitively know the differences, but either he doesn't know, can't obtain the details I inquired about, or he doesn't want to tell me. In any event, both coatings definitely look the part. My questions, though, are centered around long term durability (not necessarily short term scratch resistance), and coating technology (sputtered vs. evaporated, layers, etc). It's the only way to compare apples to apples.

By the way, my coating has now changed. I've (1) changed to a new coating company; and (2) changed to an improved coating technology offered by this company. The new company recently coated a sample sapphire crystal for me and all I can say is: Wow. This is better than anything I've yet seen on RWG and is probably better than what I've seen in the AD. Typically it is difficult to evaluate AR on a loose crystal, but this just stands out. It is amazingly non-reflective. Some of the pertinent info about my new coating and service is the following:

* Full aperture coating - i.e. no tooling marks, no border whatsoever at the edges

* Maximum 0.5% reflectivity across the entire visible spectrum. (previously it was a max of 1.25% but less than 1% in the sweet spot of the visible light spectrum)

* Exceeds the durability requirements of MIL-C-675C, MIL-C-14806A, MIL-C-48497A and MIL-F-48616 US Military specifications.

* Slight blue/purple tint - even slighter than my previous coating

* Can be cleaned with water, alcohol, acetone or detergent

* $45 USD / crystal, stripping of existing AR and polishing offered at $10 USD / crystal if needed (for sapphire only).

Pictures soon. The holiday has slowed down the current run that will be using the new process, but results will be available in the new year!

Also, I will continue to accept only bare crystals. I simply don't have time to work with entire watches doing disassembly/reassembly. However a fair number of members in my coating runs use trusted members such as Vaccum (USA) and The Zigmeister (Canada) to extract the crystals for them. It's a win/win for everyone this way. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I've never used Cheiftang but his results look great.

I can comment on K2222 though, he has coated several crystals for me, the results are impressive and he is an absolute diamond to deal with, the kind of guy you can trust. He has treated me very well whenever I have delt with him.

Whoever you choose you will be fine I'm sure.

I've never used Cheiftang but his results look great.

I can comment on K2222 though, he has coated several crystals for me, the results are impressive and he is an absolute diamond to deal with, the kind of guy you can trust. He has treated me very well whenever I have delt with him.

Whoever you choose you will be fine I'm sure.

Am sure of that as well. I DID go with K2222 for this run, and the results are great and he IS a fantastic guy to deal with. I was just curious about the comparability of the coatings.

FTIW, I cannot see any lip marks on my k2222 coating...

Chief, I'm excited about your new service, especially without lip marks. I've had several crystals Double ARed by Brian and they are stunning...Chieftang, put me down for a couple on the next run and advise when so i can send a couple watches up to Rob.

thanks! :victory:

I am on my second go around with Chief, simply because of the fact the results are stunning and he is excellent with communication. I am excited to see the results of the new coating process, it looks quite promising. Pretty much, from what I have seen, if you are in the states/canada - go with chief, and in europe go with k2222 - there is no way you will be disappointed.

For me, the differences are geographical; Chiefy is in the US and Jakub is in the EU. Quality-wise, both get glowing reports, with neither ever having a bad thing said against them.

We're lucky to have two AR sources and even luckier to have one on each of the two major continents.

i have at least a dozen crystals that I plan to have ARed in the coming year. however for me, having the crystal removed from the case and repressed (and cyclops removed and reapplied) by the same guy that is doing the AR is a HUGE advantage.

Having to send it to Rob (who I trust) just to take the cyclops off seems like a significant detour and a fair amount of added cost relative to the AR job. From what I understand Jakub has done very neat work for those requiring these services and shipping an empty case with crystal does not carry customs risk either.

For me, the differences are geographical; Chiefy is in the US and Jakub is in the EU. Quality-wise, both get glowing reports, with neither ever having a bad thing said against them.

We're lucky to have two AR sources and even luckier to have one on each of the two major continents.

Amen... :good:

k2222 did my 3717 and it's awesome. didn't expext such less refelctions. but I can (hardly) see "a kind of lip-mark" about 1/2mm on the right side of the crystal. but as said: it's nearly invisible - both the crystal and lipmark.

And he's a pleasure to deal with. On his next run I'd like to send him the crystal of my gen. TAG auto chrono ^_^

• 4 years later...

LOL ...

I always found a good way to get to know the forum and those sorts of answers is to look at the threads relating to your particular watch and the type of mods it needs... because mods and the skills of various modders vary and are to some extent model related especially so with AR which varies depending on the gens and likewise the best aftermarket AR source can vary...

Wow old post, lol

As PeteM mentions some gens have colorless AR, some blue tint, slightly yellow/green, purple, etc

The different aftermarket options usually have similar variation

Your best option is to match the ar service to your gen

AR is often a long wait so be forewarned!