When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1:1 Rolexes and Subs

kenmasters

Hi everyone,

Search has been a good friend of mine, but I had a quick question for a Rolex newbie. What versions of reps will accept 1:1 gen parts ? I like subs, vintage subs, GMTs and Sea-dwellers. Do I have source this well known MBW model or so called MBW models? Of all these models, what is the cheapest version that has the most gen parts available for it ? I want to start a mod project, but want to make life easier..

Thanks,

K :D

What versions of reps will accept 1:1 gen parts ?

I'm not big expert,

but without modding nothing on the watch you can:

Vintage

- 1665 MBW and 1680 MBW = (accept Gen. Crystal, Crystal reataining ring, bezel, insert and case back; for tube and crown need modding )

Modern :

- WM9 Z-16610 = (accept Gen. Crystal, bezel , insert , retaining crystal ring, case back, tube and crown )

- SSD 16600 = (accept Gen. insert and crown; for tube light modding is needed )

Thanks!! If you guys were to start over again on your mod project, what would you suggest as a base?

Question can you get a MBW without a Swiss movement ? and buy a nice ETA somewhere else as a mod ? Basically, I'm looking for a cheap rep that can mod easily, but also completely to get my hands dirty... :D

Edited by kenmasters

what would you suggest as a base?

MBW or WM9 or SSD :D

Question can you get a MBW without a Swiss movement ?

I suppose not........

and buy a nice ETA somewhere else as a mod ?

All this are based on good 2836-2 ETA jet.

Basically, I'm looking for a cheap rep that can mod easily, but also completely to get my hands dirty... :D

nothing is easy and nothing is cheap.......... :o

on profy reps!

In the future there will be an MBW with asian movement but its not available yet. If you want a cheap sub to mod and play around with then order a 1680 from Silix for about $100 shipped.. it will take a gen crystal with some modification but thats half the fun of learning. I just ordered one of these subs to tear apart for a franken project.. new dial, hands, gen crown and tube, gen t-127 crystal etc. The crystal will need some grinding and glueing to seal it, but for me im not concerned becasue im not going swimming with it anyways. Its a cheap way to try out some modding without having to worry about killing a $400+ MBW. Your best bet is to become a RWG supporter then you have access to the collectors areas and you can see who has the different watches available.

good luck

dizz

I'm not big expert,

but without modding nothing on the watch you can:

Vintage

- 1665 MBW and 1680 MBW = (accept Gen. Crystal, Crystal reataining ring, bezel, insert and case back; for tube and crown need modding )

Modern :

- WM9 Z-16610 = (accept Gen. Crystal, bezel , insert , retaining crystal ring, case back, tube and crown )

- SSD 16600 = (accept Gen. insert and crown; for tube light modding is needed )

Please add the MBW/MBK 16610 that will take gen parts too except crystal.

The MBW's get their name and are identified by their source. They are only available from a single source in Thailand.

The MBW's are only a significant 'category' of watches for those that are interested in modding them with genuine parts. Especially the vintages- the premium one pays for the modern is of questionable value, IMO.

I'm intrigued by the introduction of an asian MBW. It's a way to shave a hundred bucks or so off of the cost. Ironically, of the variety of parts in a MBW, it's pretty much only the movement and case that most people really use...

There's a bit of an oxymoron in the original post, as the poster talks about how he wants a cheap watch that will accept gen parts. Well, genuine rolex parts aren't exactly cheap, so the chances are that if you're trying to save on the watch itself, you're going to be in for some sticker shock once you ge an idea of how much gen parts cost.

Personally, I'd just get a silix 1680- the MBW's are only good values if you plan on using them as a base to mod with genuine parts. If you're going to get a MBW with the intention of modding it, understand that you're going to be in for some serious $$...

There's a bit of an oxymoron in the original post, as the poster talks about how he wants a cheap watch that will accept gen parts. Well, genuine rolex parts aren't exactly cheap, so the chances are that if you're trying to save on the watch itself, you're going to be in for some sticker shock once you ge an idea of how much gen parts cost.

Personally, I'd just get a silix 1680- the MBW's are only good values if you plan on using them as a base to mod with genuine parts. If you're going to get a MBW with the intention of modding it, understand that you're going to be in for some serious $$...

Yeah, I know what you mean. I guess i don't want to start off with $300-$400 and not be satisfied, or screw up something during the mod process. This is the ideal route - Get a standalone MBW case and mod it with gen parts. I think it would be cheaper and more fun! I think ! :) If i can get at least a MBW with a cheap asian movement, at least I can see it working and then later look for a nicer ETA.

So how much does it cost to completely mod a MBW with gen parts ? Where abouts do you source gen parts ? ebay ?? :D

Edited by kenmasters

But It accept..........Only insert ( with some litle mods) and case back !!

That's the bud MBW watch on the market.

BMW there are sure around beter and cheper 16610.

My 16610 MBK (formerly MBW) has a gen insert, a gen crown and tube, a Noobmariner dial, the rehaut has been worked on too...and so on.

It has been modded by Tribal by the way.

You might want to click here to see a Rolex Submariner 16610 MBK Tribalised

I do believe Tribal knows what he's talking about and so far I couldn't see true comparision picture of all our modded babies and a gen 16610 but the MBK is very close in my opinion...

The SSD in example is poor: I ordered one and it landed on my desk the same day I received my genuine 16600 (ok, it's a 2000 with lugholes but still..gen).

No doubt the SSD is a very cool watch...but it will never be close to a genuine at all like a MBK 16610 is in my opinion.

Unless Tribal changes almost everything in his SSD and we can have a meeting to shoot some comparision pictures that show that the SSD is 1:1 after hundreds of $ mods, the SSD is cool but nothing more.

Cheers

Stephane

My 16610 MBK (formerly MBW) has a gen insert, a gen crown and tube, a Noobmariner dial, the rehaut has been worked on too...and so on.

sorry Steph,

Do MBK 16610 come with big tube ang like Gen Crown jet in??

Out of the box?

My MBW16610 not, for sure........... :bangin:

Take please in count Steph,

the the guy asked for no moding needed watch to get gen parts.

Take please in count Steph,

the the guy asked for no moding needed watch to get gen parts.

I understand Ros :good:

...but come on.

Most of them bought several subs and hoped that one was better...

At the end of the day, no rep watch is "better".

All have their frustrations when it comes to gen parts.

Look at my next post about shitinerand case back...

Hey Rosnik,

I must say something.

I bought a TT sub on eBay once (sold it since as it was long before discovering RWG).

The case back was engraved Shitinerand though!

RolexSubTTShitinerand_PS800_07.jpg

Do you think this was a MBW?

I seriously doubt.

RolexSubTTShitinerand_PS800_01.jpg

RolexSubTTShitinerand_PS800_04.jpg

RolexSubTTShitinerand_PS800_05.jpg

RolexSubTTShitinerand_PS800_06.jpg

To bad I didn't check the space between the lugs back then.

I would say that Polex between the lugs is the best way to identify a MBK/MBW

MBW ... you can only get them from MBW and George. Now the cartell dudes start telling us they also copied MBW... and some of us immediatly copy that without at least looking at the pictures shown, which clearly proof they are utter and complete crap.

But anyways... there is actually only 1 (ONE) rolex replica that can be modded to perfection... and that's the MBW 1665 double red. Nothing else IMHO.

The rest simply has flaws that can't be modded away.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I guess i don't want to start off with $300-$400 and not be satisfied, or screw up something during the mod process. This is the ideal route - Get a standalone MBW case and mod it with gen parts. I think it would be cheaper and more fun! I think ! :) If i can get at least a MBW with a cheap asian movement, at least I can see it working and then later look for a nicer ETA.

So how much does it cost to completely mod a MBW with gen parts ? Where abouts do you source gen parts ? ebay ?? :D

Check out this thread here:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=64717

I give a review of two of my fully modded MBW's. Honestly, MBW's are the one niche in the replica world where you really can't cut costs that much and come out with a good looking watch.

If I were you, I would purchase a used MBW 1665 from the f/s board. Then I would order a gen flat-top T39, I would age the dial, replace the insert with a good aftermarket (gens are hard to find and expensive, although IMO they are one of the most critical features), and you'd be pretty much ready to go. If you're into modding, you could drill the lug holes and replace them with gen springbars.

You could do that for under $500 and be 90% of the way there. It really depends on what your goals are.

Yeah yeah. I know the lore. I'm not a noob.

However, the lore also says that this source in Thailand has long ago dried up etc. etc. etc.

Here's the deal. And please show me that this isn't the case: MBW as a term has extended beyond the Rolex Submariner category and is used widely to refer to good reps that accept some gen parts. "Looking for an MBW Bvlgari" is not far from where we are with this term. You talk about the "cartel", the MBW term is being thrown around all over the place. Even with 16610 Subs, the term MBW is being used to refer to watches from which there is no connection with that grand old street corner in Thailand. Now, IMO, it is another "White Lie". Just one which is cloaked in lore and not falsifiable.

For me to even begin to accept any recent generation of "MBW"'s requires a defined set of characteristics of the watch I don't care who the dealer is. Not the whole Thailand lore. I would require specific dimensions and structural characteristics. Otherwise, we're just using an arbitrary term to refer to a sub-set of good reps. Or, perhaps, a more systemic White Lie. One not from the "Cartel".

Or am I completely out to lunch and Maria is still a dealer here? If so, how do I contact her?

Jon

Jon, you're right that there's been some problems with the use of the name 'MBW' as it no longer signifies what it originally did.

The essential feature of a 'MBW' is that is from MBK. It has nothing to do with the ability of their watches to accept gen parts- as I believe some do, and some don't. The vintage rollies that do are popularized here on the forums, but there are some modern rollies, some Pateks, some AP's, and others that they carry.

What's happening with the cartel seems to be a case of imitation. Other than him securing some vintage rollies to sell briefly, he does not sell actual 'MBK' watches. There have been copies made of some of the MBK watches- the EoD comes to mind. I think it's possible that a dealer could possibly source a few MBK's independently, and then sell them on their site to encourage the notion that perhaps some of their other watches that are similarly could be legit as well.

Tell us more about these MBWs

thats all i know, sorry. Ive just heard rumors that the MBW's will soon be offered with Asian movements as an option. That would be fine with me. The new asian movements are pretty good. I have an old asian movement in an Explorer II for 8 yrs ago and it still keeps perfect time.