When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Advice

ajoesmith

Im going back to Japan and would love to buy a Grand Seiko, but they are expensive

Alas maybe some pieces have to go

I have a PAM 29 and a PAM 63 but i very RARELY/NEVER WEAR THEM.

I understand how good they are and the movements, ETA 2893, Both wind like butter, so nice but if i dont wear them then whats the point??

Both have Super Lume and date wheel changes. I also have the replacement cyclops' just need to be installed and I also have the genuine crowns to be installed but just havent got round to it as i RARELY/NEVER WEAR THEM.

What is the going rate?

Should i sell them or keep them??

Seikos are so under rated

IMO they are the best quality in watches. Yes the Grand seikos are expensive but compare the quality to rolex and Grand Seikos win hands down!

Just one example - check out this movement

Movement9S55ei8htohms.jpg

If i had the Grand seiko id sell all my collection and wear it everyday!

I think of it this way...

Watches you don't wear VS the potential value of these watches

Is there any value to the watches you don't wear ? For me, I would keep the watch even if i don't wear it as long as it has potential value.. a rare watch..

Some PAMs are hard to get.. but the GMTs IMO or not highly coveted.. (but what do i know..??) i like them ! PM me if you want to sell ;)

Tough call....if you aren't wearing or enjoying them...sell them to get what you really want...

Yes, those pieces are somewhat rare...but a gen usually trumps the rep....I was in the same boat a few month back....sold a few reps to get the gen i really wanted....

cheers

I've had a 029 that I bought only because of the hype about that 2893 movement.

NEVER EVER really wore it.

It was just sitting there in my drawer collecting dust.

Decided to sell and sold it for $550.00 last january.

If you don't wear it just sell it. It is pointless to have them... that's how I managed to cut my collection down from around 15-18 high end reps to just 3-5 now.

Cheers!

Until my 127 arrived, my 029a was one of the highlights of my collection. Okay, so I couldn't get it to fit on my SS Bracelet, but, other than that, it is a gorgeous watch, and, if someone travels between timezones, the GMT function is certainly usefull.

With regards keeping or selling...

I wouldn't view the Seiko in terms of buying a gen, rather than keeping two reps, look at them all as 'watches'. If you'd wear the Seiko exclusively (or certainly the majority of the time), then the PAMs would be redundant. Do you keep redundant watches in your collection, or do you sell them/give them away? Personally, I tend to keep them, although I am thinking about giving away my 111h for the simple reason that I don't wear it now that I have my 127.

Another aspect to consider, is would you be using cash from the sales of the watches to buy the Seiko? If you have to sell to buy, and would wear the Seiko primarily, then sell. If you don't have to sell them, and don't mind the redundant watches in your collection (as collection items) then why not keep them for a special occasion, like making them the designated 'holiday watch', for example... :)

Im going back to Japan and would love to buy a Grand Seiko, but they are expensive

Alas maybe some pieces have to go

I have a PAM 29 and a PAM 63 but i very RARELY/NEVER WEAR THEM.

I understand how good they are and the movements, ETA 2893, Both wind like butter, so nice but if i dont wear them then whats the point??

Both have Super Lume and date wheel changes. I also have the replacement cyclops' just need to be installed and I also have the genuine crowns to be installed but just havent got round to it as i RARELY/NEVER WEAR THEM.

What is the going rate?

Should i sell them or keep them??

I will personally keep them .... but if you decide to sell them , two guys wanna buy in to the trades area.