When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

IWC Mark XVI

k2222

Now I've had enough waiting for 2 years.... GRRRRR....

I've pulled the trigger and made an appointment to get a GEN one tommorrow!

Please protect me from hurting myself aftewards and tell me there's still no rep out yet!

Once it's on my wrist I'll definately post pic's. please be patient!

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where to begin...? After 2 years of waiting for our collectors to come up with a decent rep of the mk XVI I couldn't help myself any longer... Last thursday the small hour hand of the IWC GST Chrono SS fell of, so I decided it was time to go to the next level and spoil myself... it took just 1 hour to source a brand-new, unworn mk XVI through www.chrono24.com.

But enough said; enjoy these pics which have been shot at sundown, so hope to get more decent pic's once the light is better tomorrow....

IMG_1722.jpg

IMG_1734.jpg

IMG_1730.jpg

IMG_1722.jpg

IMG_1743.jpg

IMG_1727.jpg

IMG_1739.jpg

IMG_1694.jpg

IMG_1700.jpg

IMG_1704.jpg

And of course the proud owner's wrist shots!

IMG_1682.jpg

IMG_1683.jpg

IMG_1687.jpg

IMG_1691.jpg

Where to begin...? After 2 years of waiting for our collectors to come up with a decent rep of the mk XVI I couldn't help myself any longer... Last thursday the small hour hand of the IWC GST Chrono SS fell of, so I decided it was time to go to the next level and spoil myself... it took just 1 hour to source a brand-new, unworn mk XVI through www.chrono24.com.

:tu: Good move... sometime, it's better to get the GEN, specially if you are so much hook to this model.

ErWinner,

Congratulations !

You must be very happy with your new partner.

How does it compare in feel to your GST ?

also, it would be interested to know how much you paid and if you feel the additional money is worth it compared to a potential rep of this watch.

How does it compare in feel to your GST ?

many reasons to say these 2 cannot be compared even if they're bot rep or gen, but let's give it a start:

• Size: Both are 39 mm; the XVI is 11.5mm thick and though the GST is only 13mm it looks more 'massive'
  • the double AR of the XVI is highly required with the black dial; my GST is a white dial and does not really need the AR, but the shine on the crystal is huge difference
  • the Lume on the markers and hands of the XVI are great value and last throughout the night. The GST only has tiny dots at 1, 2, 4, 5, 7, 8, 10 and 11 and no lume at all on the hands.
  • there is absolutely no sound from the rotor on the XVI whereas the rotor of the GST is spinning nicely
  • the GST case-back has the same 'slots' as the XVI to enable a tool to open the case; on the GST though they are razor-sharp and have given me quite some red skin after a days wear; the XVI caseback is smooth as silk
  • the crown of the GST is really flimsy; if you unscrew it, it looks like it is going to fall off; the XVI has a shaft which looks like it can hold an atomic explosion

I was quite happy with the GST though and have just sent a message to The Zigmeister to inquire the costs and timeslot for fixing and servicing it.

also, it would be interested to know how much you paid and if you feel the additional money is worth it compared to a potential rep of this watch.

In terms of costs it just depends on your budget I guess; if you compare it to the mk XV which can be bought for about 225USD there's a big gap in costs; but suppose you do the mod's people do to make it approach the gen (double-AR, relume hands, replace the dial by the gen, perhaps even replace the movement with a real ETA 2892-A2) you're budget is also approaching the 1000USD;

Personally I feel I was quite lucky with my deal; I've been looking at official dealers for over a year (in the NL's, but also in Miami recently) and had bad luck as they were out-of-stock for some time. Last Friday I decided to browse to www.chrono24.com and found a deal for only 1750EUR. Retail value for this watch is 2850EUR, so it's a great deal in my opinion! The dealer is an supplier for jewelry stores and had this one in return for some funds outstanding on a bankrupt jeweler in Germany. But I've got the official box and papers and the warranty card is stamped at april'08 so still almost 2 years of warranty. Hopefully I won't need it until I send it off for servicing in Schaffhausen or a Richemont servicing center after a year of 3 to 4.

I totally agree to those who state I could have had 4 or even more great IWC's for that kind of money, but as this thread allready demonstrates it was the XVI I was after for quite some time now and this is my way to enjoy it!

Hope more people can afford this big step or hopefully the collectors will take this case as an example they really need to start working on the XVI project!

Last Friday, Erwinner and I compared his gen Mark XVI and my modded 3717 (including the Double AR from Jakub, the DW swap and a genuine alligator strap). Our conclusion was that they are only 5 seconds apart...

About a year ago, Erwinner revealed to me the world of RWG and provided me the sources to affordable masterpieces I ever dreamt of owning one in my life. Now I have three... :huh: . The 3717 fully modded, a PAM 111H from Vaccum fully modded and an Omega Aqua Terra. And I love them all! This is my first post after reading lots and lots of time on the board. Now it is my duty to spread knowledge.

So, for all of you who gave up the hope in ever appearing a repped Mark XVI this is your answer to owning an IWC pilots watch. Do you buy a gen Mark XVI, a rep 3717, or both as Erwinner decided for himself after seeing the rep vs. the gen.

As you can see from the pictures, an immediate tell is the difference in AR. The latest version of double AR from Jakub has less reflection than the real deal! The next thing is the difference in dial diameter and chunkiness of the 3717. It is much thicker and overall feels much bigger. Therefore, the mark XVI is more the dress watch which you can wear to every occasion. Then there are some more subtle differences like the color of the numbers on the dial and the hands. Especially the hands are not as white as on the gen, but could also be explained by the difference in AR. I also noticed that the pins holding the hands are not as well finished on the rep.

Overall the Mark XVI has a really nice finish and I love the looks of it. But, the 3717 compared to a gen IWC is also really, really nice.

Thanks for reading!

post-7903-1216507686_thumb.jpg

post-7903-1216507718_thumb.jpg

post-7903-1216507747_thumb.jpg

post-7903-1216507776_thumb.jpg

post-7903-1216507815_thumb.jpg

post-7903-1216507826_thumb.jpgpost-7903-1216507833_thumb.jpg

post-7903-1216508087_thumb.jpg

post-7903-1216508112_thumb.jpg

Thanks Jorg for this excellen comparison...

And indeed... Holding the 3717 with all the mods done by experts and a really nice gator strap made my allready subconsiously made decision easy...

Owning a GEN feels great, but does not make you switch over to the 'other side'. I'm still a big fan of Rep's! So the pilot chrono is on my wish-list! Just like the Ingy, the Slevin, the .... :huh:

But first I'll go and spend my money on 2 weeks of holidays in La France.

• 2 weeks later...