When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

To those who say a rare Rolex seen in the wild must be a fake

freddy333

There is an interesting discussion on the topic of 'Wearing vintage Rolex on a regular basis' going on at TZ & it goes to the question about whether people actually wear rare Rolex watches out in the wild

DSCN1633.jpg

(This gen Comex Seadweller being worn on a Hawaiian beach is worth between $50k - $100k+)

Since this question has been debated here a number of times, I thought RWG members might find this enlightening. Here is the link

Guest carlsbadrolex

I truly believe that watches should be worn also. If I had a $100k watch I would wear it. Not out to work on my truck, but it would get worn. That is why my collection changes so frequently... If I find Im not wearing a watch, I try to figure out why. And in MOST cases, its because I didnt really like it to begin with!

Heh... that one wouldn't be the best one to "prove" real rare rolex in the wild sightings exist... Oh, I know they do...

It is just that this one, with it's "NEW" BRIGHT WHITE dial print, hands and date wheel combined with a NEW non-folded, non-rivet bracelet, all on a perfect thin case with early un-replaced valve, while the bezel looks modern... well... gee... better raise that estimate...

Guest carlsbadrolex
i like his quote.

"Enjoy and wear your watches or else you are just taking care of them for the next guy"

SO, thats what you do??? You were just taking care of all those watches for me? You really are a true friend!

i like his quote.

"Enjoy and wear your watches or else you are just taking care of them for the next guy"

I think it is interesting that Patek turns that same idea around and suggests that you ARE just taking care of the watch for the next guy (your kids).

I have a feeling this thread is going to get alot of responses..................

Wearing a $50k watch? Hell, I can't even justify wearing a $5k watch, that's why I buy reps. Unless you are so rich that you can stand to lose $50k if it's lost or stolen, then no big deal. For anyone else it's pretty poor money management. These are watches, to be worn, and IMO for most people, anything more than a few grand is going to be a pretty heavy hit if lost/damage/stolen.

i like his quote.

I'm all for wearing and enjoying watches, or anything else we have, that is worth a king's ransom. But his comment above lacks some perspective.

Taking care of them for the next guy could also mean one's kids. The reason we slave, save, and invest is for them too, no? To leave them something of worth.

But if your going worry constantly about getting mugged or robbed, and you cant enjoy the watch than why get it in the first place? I guess it's different depending on where you live- but I live in the country where crimes don't exist, if you lived in NYC on the other hand or any major city, than I agree, wearing a 50k watch is probably not the smartest thing to do...

Guest carlsbadrolex
Wearing a $50k watch? Hell, I can't even justify wearing a $5k watch, that's why I buy reps. Unless you are so rich that you can stand to lose $50k if it's lost or stolen, then no big deal. For anyone else it's pretty poor money management. These are watches, to be worn, and IMO for most people, anything more than a few grand is going to be a pretty heavy hit if lost/damage/stolen.

Poor money management??? The Comex he is wearing was worth less than $20k ten years ago... Today close to $100k. I wish I could make investments like that! AND enjoy the investment while it appreciates!

The reason we slave, save, and invest is for them too, no? To leave them something of worth.

I know that's a common perspective here in the US...

But not one I necessarily agree with...

I for one "invest" in my son [and daughter in-law] now, today, while I'm living...

My wife & I enjoy spending on them...

They are both 21, and a gas to be with...

Took them last year to Mexico with us...

Bought them a car...

And continually look for ways to bless them...

If there's not a single cent left for them when I suck my last fresh breath of country air...

But I lived a full life with them while here...

I say well done...

justmy2centsforwhatitsworth

Double T

To the Mods -- It has been more than 1 hour since I posted this thread and the number of views reads '0' even though the current number of replies is 12 & I am sure the actual number of views exceeds that by a wide margin. I understand your desire to improve the speed of the site, but I really think the site was better off prior to the upgrades when you switched the counter updates from real time to '30 minutes'. I have not seen any difference in page loading times anyway.

To the Mods -- It has been more than 1 hour since I posted this thread and the number of views reads '0' even though the current number of replies is 12 & I am sure the actual number of views exceeds that by a wide margin. I understand your desire to improve the speed of the site, but I really think the site was better off prior to the upgrades when you switched the counter updates from real time to '30 minutes'. I have not seen any difference in page loading times anyway.

Upgrades have not been done yet...

Just stripping the site in preparation...

You'll know when the upgrade is done - I promise...

Patience young grasshopper...

:lol:

Double T

PS: Good Thread Freddy...

I think they should be worn as well.

From a realiastic standpoint watches are not a great investment. I realize that some will double in value within a short period of time but in the end a watch is a luxury item and only worth what the market is willing to pay. A watch that is worth $100k today may be only worth $4-5K in a few years. There is no guarantee that its value will stay up no matter how rare it is, like I said it is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Lastly I will bet with utmost certainty that anyone who wears or even owns a watch that is worth anything has it insured. Some people will insure a $1500 watch and jewlery of the same value so you can be certian that if you see someone wearing a $100k watch it is insured. Then getting away from the theft/loss issue if you can afford to spend $20K+ on a watch of all things if something were to happen and you were to loose that $20K would you really cry about it or be hurt financially??

Here is another slant on this question that I believe makes it even more relevant for RWG members than it is for TZ members. And that is after spending alot of time, money & effort to build or mod a franken watch, do you

1. wear it daily (use as a beater)
  2. wear it often
  3. wear it only on special occasions
  4. wear it not at all (winder/case/safe queen)
I guess I sit on both sides of the fence because my Double-Red is my daily beater

timechecks007b1-1.jpg

1665book021a31.jpg

But my Newman's are rarely worn

623920121.jpg

623920031.jpg

I think they should be worn as well.

From a realiastic standpoint watches are not a great investment. I realize that some will double in value within a short period of time but in the end a watch is a luxury item and only worth what the market is willing to pay. A watch that is worth $100k today may be only worth $4-5K in a few years. There is no guarantee that its value will stay up no matter how rare it is, like I said it is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

That is true with almost all investments. It's sad to think of a beautiful watch like that Rolex as an investment. It feels cold and unnatural.

But I'm glad my grandmother thought of me, when she was wearing this and making her Will.

rolliegrannieuh6.jpg

rolliegranniefacexd0.jpg

Now, I love wearing it, but it's not insured. We can't afford to.

But once we have it serviced, with a lovely new sapph crystal installed, I can sell it and buy a house with it -- well, it'll make a nice down payment. Not that I will ever do that. It's for my future daughter.

That's what patrimony is all about.

But once we have it serviced, with a lovely new sapph crystal installed, I can sell it and buy a house with it -- well, it'll make a nice down payment. Not that I will ever do that. It's for my future daughter.

Why would you even consider replacing a Plexiglas crystal with a sapphire? That would change the watch's appearance & definitely reduce its value. On the other hand, a competent watchsmith should be able to renew it to showroom condition, which, considering its current state, would make alot of sense.

If I bought a $50k watch, it would depend what I bought it for as to whether or not I wear it.

If I bought it as an investment, I would not wear it. Why? Well, I would invest in a watch because it would be an investment related to one of my hobbies. Some people invest in shares, I'd rather invest in shares related to my hobbies or in items related to my hobbies. For instance, I'd buy Ducati shares, even if shares in construction would be wiser. I'd buy Apple shares, even if Dell looked like the smarter bet. I'd buy a vintage Rolex, even if a first edition Dickens would make me a few quid more.

However, the ideal would be that I would have enough disposable income that I could buy a $50k watch to wear. If it were not something so important that my damaging it could remove a unique piece from the hobby, I'd wear it to destruction, if needed. Much like I would ride a rare Ducati on the roads, unless it was irreplaceable like one of Fogarty's championship winning pieces.

On the other hand, a Frankenwatch should be worn. This is why I don't get kasillion dollar reps, because I want to wear something I'd wear in gen if I could afford it. I'll wear a Fiddy or a 1665 (white) because I know I'd wear a gen if I owned it.

Oh, but if I did own a $50k investment watch, it'd make the occasional sortie for a fancy dinner. It'd be impossible not to take it out every so often. ;)

Why would you even consider replacing a Plexiglas crystal with a sapphire? That would change the watch's appearance & definitely reduce its value.

You've been speaking to my mother, haven't you, Freddy? :p

On the other hand, a competent watchsmith should be able to renew it to showroom condition, which, considering its current state, would make alot of sense.

Yes, when I took up this hobby I had the contents of our bank vault boxes inventoried. Well, I did most of the work, but they were appraised professionally. The appraiser-jeweller offered me cash on the spot for the watch above. No way.

I'll wear it, enjoy it, but it's mine forever because it belonged to my great-grandmother, my grandmother, and now me.

I only took it out of the vault, because on Tuesday I'm going to my trusty jewellers to have it serviced. Here's hoping I'm not robbed along the way, but that's the risk any Rolex owner has to take.

Guest carlsbadrolex

Are those really worth that much?

If that is the case, I made a VERY serious error about 6 years ago when I was offered the IDENTICAL watch for less than the cost of a new ladies stainless datejust.

That is true with almost all investments. It's sad to think of a beautiful watch like this Rolex as an investment. It feels cold and unnatural.

But I'm glad my grandmother thought of me, when she was wearing this and making her Will.

rolliegrannieuh6.jpg

rolliegranniefacexd0.jpg

Now, I love wearing it, but it's not insured. We can't afford to. But once we have it serviced, with a lovely new sapph crystal installed, I can sell it and buy a house with it -- well, it'll make a nice down payment. Not that I will ever do that. It's for my future daughter.

That's what patrimony is all about.

I'm headed to the Mayan Riviera in a few weeks, but I think I'll leave the gens safely at home and wear either the Noobmariner or 5513 rep. Probably take a dive watch along in case I go swimming/diving, but I might have the two reps checked for WR, and assuming one passes, then I could just take one watch. I love my beater reps.

And freddy, I wouldn't take either of the frankenjusts, just because I want to wear a sports watch. But I do wear all of my good watches from time to time- just not when I'm playing rough!

Are those really worth that much?

If that is the case, I made a VERY serious error about 6 years ago when I was offered the IDENTICAL watch for less than the cost of a new ladies stainless datejust.

I don't know what your solid gold Rolex was appraised for, CBR, but let's just say, I'm very happy to own mine.