When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The downfall of HD-DVD

Pugwash

Hahaha! I'd hate to see the format war end so soon, though.... just when the players were starting to get cheap

The end of the format war is what will drive sales. Many people were waiting to see who won before buying. HD hasn't caught on as well as people had hoped, due to the silly format war.

Hahaha! I'd hate to see the format war end so soon, though.... just when the players were starting to get cheap

HD-DVD players are cheap because it is sell through stock time for most retailers. How many buyers working for large electrical retailers would place volume orderes for HD-DVD drives when the tech looks doomed?

Get rid of the stock as fast as you can, that goes for Toshiba too, they must see that the writing is on the wall......

I thought Dreamworks had signed onto the HD-DVD camp, and that is going to make a comeback for the HD-DVD people. Did I not get that story correct?

Paramount and Universal are the only studios exclusively on HD-DVD and there are rumours Paramount is exercising its "If Warners go, we reserve the right to follow" clause in their contract.

Favourite moment in the youtube clip above: "Lord of the Rings" (drops head)

The end of the format war is what will drive sales. Many people were waiting to see who won before buying. HD hasn't caught on as well as people had hoped, due to the silly format war.

I'd prefer if they were using price as a selling point, rather than market dominance. I don't like the idea of Sony controlling the market, either. They will jack up licensing fees and make the players more expensive than they need to be.

I have a copy of Downfall and after seeing it a number of times, this blu ray spin is hilarious. Funny stuff! :D

For the mean time, while the format war is still hot...get the OPPO upconverting DVD player....one of those things that the Chinese made right!!! And you could still burn your own personal copy.....try that with Blu or HD!........you can, but its gonna cost you!!!!

For the mean time, while the format war is still hot...get the OPPO upconverting DVD player....one of those things that the Chinese made right!!! And you could still burn your own personal copy.....try that with Blu or HD!........you can, but its gonna cost you!!!!

i have an oppo 981 un-converting dvd player. the thing is great...plays anything you throw at it and the the sound it puts out when you play a CD is amazing.

i have an oppo 981 un-converting dvd player. the thing is great...plays anything you throw at it and the the sound it puts out when you play a CD is amazing.

Isn't it great? These darn cheap DVD players are amazing! I also have the 981HD on a Sanyo Z2000 projector to a 124" screen and this sucker is unreal!

Beautifull, sharp picture....nice color... very close to HD! Blu-Ray is another story.....but I could live with this for now! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Yea for Blue-Ray, I was just watching "I am legend" that i had ripped and burned a Blue Ray of. Boy it was scary, the scariest zombie movie i have ever seen and Blue-Ray made me feel as if it was in reality. J.K

Edited by asad

Second the OPPO recommendation.... I've had one for about 9 months and will continue to live with it until Blu Ray players come down. And it's more than a pleasure to live with as the video (and audio) quality is superb.

Yes. They're called CDs.

Funny how everyone forgets Sony invented the CD with Phillips.

Rumor has it that Sony invented VHS, but didn`t like the quality so they sold it to JVC. Betamax never mad it as a consumer format of course, but Betacam was the format of choice for most pros for decades.