When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Winter in Hawaii..

lanikai

Well, it's winter in Hawaii .. i wish it would stay this temputure year round actually . feels like air con. all the time.... what's it like in the rest of the 49's and the world ?? :rolleyes: took some pics of the way we spend our winters...

OK LETS START OF WITH A WRIST SHOT.. post-2172-1200611720_thumb.jpg sub

ok moving on to the slopes of Diamond head and the Surf spot known as the ..Cliffs, Lighthouse, Browns..... small day 1 to 2 ft... west swell.. it's winter so the south shore will not be happening until summer . unless a freak storm in the antartic happens..

post-2172-1200611460_thumb.jpgpost-2172-1200612053_thumb.jpg

post-2172-1200612225_thumb.jpg... nice wall building .. day for long boards...

post-2172-1200612467_thumb.jpg... Maybe hambone will remember you have to climb down this cliff with your board to get ....

post-2172-1200612622_thumb.jpg .. to here.. taken with ..zoom.. not as close as it looks...

post-2172-1200613124_thumb.jpg... a Monument to a Pilot....... Island of Molokai on the horizon

post-2172-1200613389_thumb.jpg

post-2172-1200613521_thumb.jpg ... the Spirit of St.Louis... a bit weathered over the years.. but still going strong

post-2172-1200613710_thumb.jpg... We used to night dive (free dive) off the point not for sport .. speared only enough for a nice barbecue.. but the long liners moved the food chain closer to shore.. so ... too many shark attacks these day's.. stick to day time .. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

post-2172-1200614142_thumb.jpg... Hambone.... remember "Doris Duke Harbor".. she would let us swim in her harbor all day long .. as a kid that was cool .. she was alway's so cool.. even with her social standing, as the wealthiest Heiress' in the world..(tobaco heiress)

post-2172-1200614741_thumb.jpg... surf spot called "lighthouse"

this is "Koko Head" the crater in the middle of the pic.. this is where hambone grew up and went to the "***coughhh.."other school"..***cougghhh.. it's cool ham

post-2172-1200615249_thumb.jpg

post-2172-1200615489_thumb.jpg ... I grew up in the lower left hand part of the pic where that large building is..

And lastly .. An older gent got tired of our Aina (Land) being ignored. so he pulled out some weeds.. planted a flowered shrub.. and one by one people started adding to it.. pulling more weeds and bringing Native plants.. and one plant at time and one caring person at a time.....

post-2172-1200616096_thumb.jpg .... this grew out of one person.. now there are many who come everyday and give back to the "Aina", people of every class and ethnic origin .. people from Japan.. Europe .. every corner of the world that live here now .. the Love and Aloha that makes our Islands so special.... the Kupuna (Elder) that started this is still there everyday.. (he made himself the supervisor ;) ).... even the grass was brought.. (borrowed from various yards).. :p now tourist stop and the Ambassador of the Cliffs talks to them and tells them how proud we are of our Home.. Our Aina ...

" Ua Mau Ke Ia O Ka Aina I Ka Pono" .. "The Life Of The Land Is Perpetuated In Righteousness" ...

I just think he really likes talking to the Beautiful women that stop.. hahaha.. "go for it uncle" :1a:

Imagine what we can do together that cannot be done alone...

Aloha Ke Akua

Lanikai

post-2172-1200615844_thumb.jpg

" Ua Mau Ke Ia O Ka Aina I Ka Pono" .. "The Life Of The Land Is Perpetuated In Righteousness" ...

Imagine what we can do together that cannot be done alone...

You said it brother. "What we can accomplish together......"

worktogether.jpg

Great post Lanikai. So you grew up right by the Kahala Hilton Eh? Very nice part of town. All those picks you have of Koko Head in the background bring memories for sure. We moved from Nuuanu Dowsett to Hanapepe Loop on Koko Head in 1974. Wish we still had that house.

Hawaii in winter is the best. 75 degrees, great surf , beautiful hostesses and oustanding pupu's. Even though I lived on Maui for 10 years, Oahu is where I grew up and it is very close to my heart for sure. The best times of my life were there. Hawaii No Ka Oi !

Hey... where are the pixx with hot chicks in bikinis?? :bleh:

Man... i have know this since i was a young kid, but i life in the wrong place of the world. The weather here... would be best described as autumn... from may untill march... the last years we have sring and summer in april ... and that's it for sunshine :(

Love it!! That's got the warm and fuzzies going. Feeling like a Hawaii trip suddenly. Allegedly they ship the good sand in from, well, just down the road from here - so in many ways it would be easier just to head down the road.....but hey where's the romance in that?!!!! :p

@Nanuq - you never fail to surprise me with the capacity to inspire. All those adults and the one big kid with the beard in the middle - frickin' awesome!! ;)

Cheers guys!

Beautiful pics Lanikai and thank you for sharing a little bit about your home. It is -27 Celsius right now here in the middle of Canada on the prairies and that is with out counting wind chill. Only about another 130 days till summer arrives here.

Great post Lanikai. So you grew up right by the Kahala Hilton Eh? Very nice part of town. All those picks you have of Koko Head in the background bring memories for sure. We moved from Nuuanu Dowsett to Hanapepe Loop on Koko Head in 1974. Wish we still had that house.

Hawaii in winter is the best. 75 degrees, great surf , beautiful hostesses and oustanding pupu's. Even though I lived on Maui for 10 years, Oahu is where I grew up and it is very close to my heart for sure. The best times of my life were there. Hawaii No Ka Oi !

grew up close to Kahala Beach park.. Aukai Ave. .... you in Portlock.. no wonder you miss that house, all the streets in Portlock are named after places on Kauai :rolleyes: .. v e r y n i c e .... near the Henry J. Kaiser estate huh.. we used to dive of the point .. surf there and of course pick opihi.. those were care free day's man... Nuuanu Dowsett .. all the original missionary homes and counsulates line there.. man you live in some "fantasy" communities..no wonder U are on RWG :lol:

@ Dani ... I lived in a cold climate myself Dani.. sometimes it takes going away to really appreciate what you have.. -_-

@ Raijor... I lived in Seattle maybe not as cold as where you are but cold non the less... fall on the mainland is awesome though.. i remember the first time i saw the trees... and when i first went to college is the first time i experienced snow.. all the kids from Hawaii were aut at 3 am with cafeteria trays boogey boarding down the slopes of the campus...

Conerstone.. yes we import sand .. for waikiki and Kailua.. neighbor islands are my favorite places ,.. big island of hawaii especially.. Kamuela.. Waimea.. no buildings just ranches ... and country..

Ryyanon.. i am sure you and everyone are as proud ..maybe not as warm during the winter .. but proud of all our heritages just the same.. :1a:

@ yellomen..... a couple of friends on the board are awaiting the release of the 08 Women of hawaii swim suit calendar.. more like G-string Calendar..pm me your address and you will get one too B)

Stilty.... you probably have been to Kauai before but if not .. Must see: .... Fern Grotto ,.. up the Waimea river.... .. Waimea Canyon- little grand canyon of the pacific...pick Koke Plums if their in season..and be careful during the early evening swims don't let your kids get to far from shore.. but most of all enjoy the Aloha of the "Garden isle".. the people of Kauai are truly blessed with humble love.... they are still "old school Hawaii"...lots of love there man..

Thanks All, for allowing me to realize how blessed i am to be home and on RWG .. best forum on the globe !!!

Stilty.... you probably have been to Kauai before but if not .. Must see: .... Fern Grotto ,.. up the Waimea river.... .. Waimea Canyon- little grand canyon of the pacific...pick Koke Plums if their in season..and be careful during the early evening swims don't let your kids get to far from shore.. but most of all enjoy the Aloha of the Garden isle.. the people of Kauai are truly blessed with humble love.... they are still "old school Hawaii"...lots of love there man..

First time to Kauai. I've only been to Maui, spent four days in Kaanapali, and a week in Kihei. I preferred the chill atmosphere of Kihei as Kaanapali was too "resort". Although Kaanapali beach is amazing and the sunset is to die for. The Old Lahaina Luau was fun too.

Thanks for the visiting info of Kauai, we are really looking forward to the garden island. We've heard so many good things. Hawaii is truely a special place and you are blessed to live there.

Love it!! That's got the warm and fuzzies going. Feeling like a Hawaii trip suddenly. Allegedly they ship the good sand in from, well, just down the road from here - so in many ways it would be easier just to head down the road.....but hey where's the romance in that?!!!! :p

@Nanuq - you never fail to surprise me with the capacity to inspire. All those adults and the one big kid with the beard in the middle - frickin' awesome!! ;)

Cheers guys!

Y'know, boys just need someone in their life that believes in them and is willing to work on stuff with 'em and get their hands grubby. Someone who demonstrates by their actions that the boy matters.

As of last month, six of the boys in that picture have now made Eagle Scout and three are working on their own Eagle Scout service projects.

I could not be prouder of any of them. :tu:

First time to Kauai. I've only been to Maui, spent four days in Kaanapali, and a week in Kihei. I preferred the chill atmosphere of Kihei as Kaanapali was too "resort". Although Kaanapali beach is amazing and the sunset is to die for. The Old Lahaina Luau was fun too.

Thanks for the visiting info of Kauai, we are really looking forward to the garden island. We've heard so many good things. Hawaii is truely a special place and you are blessed to live there.

hahaa ... i used to spend my summers as a kid on Maui.. stayed with my Aunty and cousins.. every summer live on different neighbor islands..

yes.. deffinately take the river boat ride up to the Fern grotto... one of the wonders of Hawaii.. the last Hurricane destroyed one .. if not the best bodysurfing spots in the world.. Brenakes ... all the big lava boulders now messed up the break what a waste. :(

what ever you do ... do not ..repeat (and i am serious) .. bring home any Lava Rocks.. or by products of lava Rocks... it's more than a hawaiin myth.. bad things alway's happen to people that have the fire rock.... if you believe in metaphysics.. the lava rocks are dense matter and hold energy .. negative energy... i won't relay all the true stories cause it will sound like fiction... articles have been written on it from letters people have sent from the mainland.. just trust someone who knows.. nice to look at but do not take it from it's place of rest ,.. and if one of the kids do.. you need to return it to the sea at sunset... not joking about this one..

Y'know, boys just need someone in their life that believes in them and is willing to work on stuff with 'em and get their hands grubby. Someone who demonstrates by their actions that the boy matters.

As of last month, six of the boys in that picture have now made Eagle Scout and three are working on their own Eagle Scout service projects.

I could not be prouder of any of them. :tu:

They say that life is measured and is truly meaningful ...not by the things you acquire .. but how much you affect and influence anothers life..

that is the true purpose we have here.. don't you think??? when we are long gone .. a once child may say .. man I'm glad he taught me that .. and pass it on..

Congrats, Nanuq you should be proud ... very proud

I'm jealous!!

I'm not even going to post pix of Denver where it's supposed to hit a high of 20 today.

My brother is in the hotel business and lives on the big island. We go visit every year (except last year, as my wife was pregnant). We will be going back in April or May.

Instead of Denver pix, I'd rather post some Hawaii pix.

This shot, as well as my avatar shot, or from our lanai at my brothers hotel (Waikoloa Marriott) of the sunset over A-Bay (Anaeho'omalu Bay):

a19554da.jpg

My wife enjoying another A-Bay sunset:

98f28aec.jpg

Lu'au at the Marriott (I love me some kaula pork and poi!!):

ca7c1241.jpg

8a470518.jpg

One of my favorite places, Waipio Valley:

282605e0.jpg

Our very favorite secluded beach on the big island (we were the only people there this day):

35000bae.jpg

And a couple from Kauai.

Poipu beach at sunrise:

bf463cb5.jpg

Waimea Canyon:

7f2920af.jpg

And the Napali coast late in the day:

4a42d52b.jpg

Sorry for posting so many shots Lani, I'm just in love with your state. Every time we go, my wife and I spend the next month trying to figure out how we can move there.

My boss tells me each time I leave, he wonders if he'll ever see me again. One of these times, he won't!!

those are some beautiful shots mj... I live here and I can't get enough of it (neigbor islands).. I miss going to the Big Island every few months.. I used to stay up by volcanoe at my buddy's place ..he built himself.. huge no neighbors for miles..

I can ride my harley for hours without a stop light or another car on the road..

I used to work for the marriott .. great company to work for ..

Poipu beach on kauai.. has the some of the best waves on that side of the island.. called "Acid Drops" .. appropriately... steep face ... just have to dodge the coral heads

my friend takes a kayak .. a bag of rice and a pot..(that's all) and dissapears for weeks in the valleys.. if he didn't have to come back to work .. well i don't think he would... he can live of the land.,.. and he likes his peace...me.. after 2 hours i would be starved..

when u are on the Big island.. check out the land in Mountain view.. a few years ago you could by 1 or 2 acres for 10k... it's growing.. 1k to bulldoze the (pretty thick forest) .. sometime on the not to distant future it will be worth getting now... the island is growing.. used to be generators notw they have lines and all the comforts of the islands.. that is near the volacnoe park.. not a hazard zone,.. like Kaanapali.. homes were burnt to ashes last week with new lava flow.. brand new homes at that..

have a great time mj