When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Cloverfield

LordRasta

I liked it, actually. -_-

Just got off the phone with my boyfriend -- he saw it yesterday in Toronto. He also liked it, Lord Rasta & SD4000. :p

Describing the film just now, it sounded like another Blair Witch Project with the shaky cam-work. At first, I wanted him to tell me the whole plot, but when he got to the rolling head bit, I told him, stop! I might want to see this.

(He's a "normal" cinema fan, albeit he likes Indies and foreign films like me)

Oh, and though he didn't stay for the end-credits, I hope you guys know that there is a message at the end. ;)

I spoke to a couple of friends today who saw it yesterday and they said that watching a steaming plate of poop

for two hours was about the same as this film. This had me wondering if they had ever had the opportunity to actually

see a pile of feces hot enough to emit steam for two hours and on top of it, placed on a ceramic plate. Not wanting to

press the issue, I took them for their word. I'll take a look when it is on cable to judge properly.

Just got off the phone with my boyfriend -- he saw it yesterday in Toronto. He also liked it, Lord Rasta & SD4000. :p

Describing the film just now, it sounded like another Blair Witch Project with the shaky cam-work. At first, I wanted him to tell me the whole plot, but when he got to the rolling head bit, I told him, stop! I might want to see this.

(He's a "normal" cinema fan, albeit he likes Indies and foreign films like me)

Oh, and though he didn't stay for the end-credits, I hope you guys know that there is a message at the end. ;)

I was refering to I am legend - not cleverfield...

The trailer i saw was enough to scare me away from it. :lol:

I enjoyed I am legend too....not a patch on 28 days later(not weeks...defianatly not weeks!) which it was trying to emulate or 'rep' though.

Well I think I am legend was a totally different kind of movie. 28 days/week was more of a horrormovie, while I am legend gained it's tension out of Smith's acting.

I found the zombies in 28 a lot more scary than the computer generated weirdos in legend, by the way. I wish they would have done them a little more the old fashioned way...

I enjoyed I am legend too....not a patch on 28 days later(not weeks...defianatly not weeks!) which it was trying to emulate or 'rep' though.

Are you all that young? I am Legand is a rip off of The Omega Man (1971) starring Charlton Heston. The Omega Man however, was a rip off of The Last Man on Earth (1964) starring Vincent Price. It is a tale told many times already. What can I say, I like my Zombie movies!

...would be nice though if they had some more original material.

-T

Are you all that young? I am Legand is a rip off of The Omega Man (1971) starring Charlton Heston. The Omega Man however, was a rip off of The Last Man on Earth (1964) starring Vincent Price. It is a tale told many times already. What can I say, I like my Zombie movies!

-T

You forgot "I am Omega", which is a rip off of "I am legend"... :lol:

C'mon, I mean that's all Hollywood is about. Without the novel by Richard Matheson, there would be probably no Stephen King and a lot less vampire-themes.

I am just glad, that Ridley Scott didn't make it with Schwarzenegger back in 1997!

Cloverfield

The first 15 mins which was devoted to character development failed to engender either empathy or sympathy for the characters....shaky cam ala Blair Witch.....meets Godzilla amok in NY.....WTC debris and mayhem....followed by usual Alienesque creatures in dark tunnels....with a large measure of Jerry Lee Lewis's Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On ........DREADFUL.......Hollywood hyperbole at it's best or worst....you choose.

I didn't follow any of the hype regarding it.....didn't see the trailers......and couldn't be a r s e d finding out who produced / directed it......but it defo looks like Blair Witch 2.

Edited by TTK

I loved it and judging from the many forums I've read, the majority has liked it as well. Its one of those you either like it or you don't.

For those that didn't enjoy it nor didn't get entertained must have went in thinking it was a full on chaotic monster movie with a decisive ending OR got sick from the handheld style filming.

For me, it was basically a story of love and the emotions/actions of the individuals when faced with the backdrop of the monster (which could have easily be substituted for say an earthquake, tsunami, 9/11 attacks). The handheld style filming brings a unique prespective of the characters point of view and updates the boring monster genre.

The ending was great and watching this on DVD would not justify the film in which you cannot compare with the theatre screen and suspenseful sound production.

I was refering to I am legend - not cleverfield...

The trailer i saw was enough to scare me away from it. :lol:

It was "okay". As you said later, there was a certain tension in the film created by Smith, which held it along. (BTW, I have a thing not for zombie films, but for apocalyptic, NWO movies like Bladerunner, and Brazil...I'll see even bad films along those lines)

I'm curious to see JJ Abrams' "Star Trek", the prequel, which comes out Christmas 2008.

I think this film might've helped him to get his directorial bearings, since the Trekkies will be at his throat if he bums it up.

@LordRasta: Ahhh, SPOILERS dude. ;) ...I didn't read past the first sentence.

So what, it still sucked. The only camcorder on the planet that was dropped too many times to count, even got chomped on by the monster and never failed. Give me a damn break. And my personal favorite, they give said super camera to the idiot of the group and he does EVERYTHING one handed because he's forever got this camera in the other hand. Even pulling his buddy to safety he does one handed. What a pal.

EDIT: Oh and the camera survives a nuclear blast...I have got to get me one of those!!! What a shitty movie.

Cloverfield looks pretty cool in the trailers.. doesnt surprise me that it sucks though haha. I guess that 'blair witch' camera action would get old REALLY fast. On a side note, i really liked I am Legend. I thought it was really good.

dizz

Dude, you do realise I am Legend (1954) was the birth of the Zombie Genre, right?

;)

ps. Last Man On Earth and The Omega Man were both adaptations of the book I Am Legend.

Dude, you do realise I am Legend (1954) was the birth of the Zombie Genre, right?

;)

ps. Last Man On Earth and The Omega Man were both adaptations of the book I Am Legend.

But of course! All I was saying is that the movie has been done before. Someone thought it had been based on 28 Days. Guess you get some of the Romero movies in the list as well, since they are basically variations on the same theme.

-T