When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rating system back online

Admin

The rating system puts several different kind of "loads" on the server. Instead of giving you a very technical explanation (unfortunately, this is very complicated :() I'll just say that the older version of the rating system was not so tightly integrated into the forums built-in caching system, while this version is supposed to be better. But a fast board is more important than ratings, so if there are no improvements or if the system start using lots of system resources, it will be removed again.

Thanks for the explanation, Admin. Since I publicly cried out for the ratings' return so many times, I felt it only proper to give RWG a donation on its return!

That done, and having PMed a couple of newbies who inquired what they were, I said the ratings system doesn't take the place of a nice post of appreciation. Nothing can trump that. But the ratings system created a very convivial atmosphere previously -- it's wonderful to get feedback on a post which took forever to upload, and compose where others might've been tempted to say nothing.

Anything that ADDS to the RWG Experience can only be good. None of the other forums have it, and you have to give a little something extra to receive, IMHO. :)

Thanks for the explanation, Admin. Since I publicly cried out for the ratings' return so many times, I felt it only proper to give RWG a donation on its return!

That done, and having PMed a couple of newbies who inquired what they were, I said the ratings system doesn't take the place of a nice post of appreciation. Nothing can trump that. But the ratings system created a very convivial atmosphere previously -- it's wonderful to get feedback on a post which took forever to upload, and compose where others might've been tempted to say nothing.

Anything that ADDS to the RWG Experience can only be good. None of the other forums have it, and you have to give a little something extra to receive, IMHO. :)

this i what i meent their is no reason to be happy for a rating if people give rating for nothing.

Cheers

so i post questions and i get labeled with "WTF" .. so now opinions are only for the few that think they have the only say on the forum? so post only what these members want to hear or you'll get zapped with this icon?? mmmm ok if that 's the direction these icons are headed are they really positive?

Mmm, it seems this has turned the wrong way...

We should not take this so seriously IMO.

I like the image given by Victoria : whistling at a girl rather than going into a long discussion (with a dinner and all these things, you know...) :lol:

Lanikai, I'm sure that this thread has generated more unfounded ratings than it should have. Usually, we rather see the artistic, gold star and so on than an aggressive one. Anyway, someone who wants to be unpleasant will find a way. So, basically you're right about the behaviours (I mean "I agree with you"). But the ratings are just a MEAN. They should not disappear due to member's behaviours.

Hey, what about having a look into the wristchecks !! Thats where we should all be :console:

@capice

You can only rate others posts.

@all

The rating system puts several different kind of "loads" on the server. Instead of giving you a very technical explanation (unfortunately, this is very complicated :() I'll just say that the older version of the rating system was not so tightly integrated into the forums built-in caching system, while this version is supposed to be better. But a fast board is more important than ratings, so if there are no improvements or if the system start using lots of system resources, it will be removed again.

Tnx for explaining m8, and tnx to Victoria also

I personally feel that 'gold star', 'funny', 'informative' and 'thanks' are the rating signs that add something extra to the forum, but we would be better off without the other ones that don't add anything to the discusssion.

@admin: would it be technically possible to leave out some of the rating signs?

I personally feel that 'gold star', 'funny', 'informative' and 'thanks' are the rating signs that add something extra to the forum, but we would be better off without the other ones that don't add anything to the discusssion.

Very good suggestion Scoobs.

Whistling at a woman one of the lowest and most crass forms of expression to an attractive woman, done primarilly in the presence of other like minded blue collar cretins. Any woman who really thinks that this form of expression is acceptable is probably a hooker, or other '[censored]' minded tramp. Not that theres anything wrong with this type, when you are horny, drunk and single. ;)

That was an image... An example... Kind of parable ^_^

Don't focus on that, it's not that important IMO.

Again, I consider and strongly advise to take the sytem as a MEAN, and nothing else.

All the rest is pure rambling and controversy...

Who's never been drunk BTW ? ;)

That was an image... An example... Kind of parable ^_^

Don't focus on that, it's not that important IMO.

That's right. I'm guessing your average RWGer thinks this is being taken way too seriously. Bad ratings will eventually be superceded by good ratings, unless you're a troll. It's a matter of time.

This issue is getting bogged down around past personality conflict issues. I'm sure most people can see that. Let's move on, shall we?

Very good suggestion Scoobs.

Sure... In order to make things politically correct.

That would mean a member can only give a positive comment.

Not sure that's really fair.

At that time, better to cancell the whole thing. But then, the next step is to forbid argueing in posts...

Not mentionning the likely difficulty in the technical side for admins.

Sorry, we never had such a discussion before about the rating system, it was not a subject of discord. Why suddendly ?

IMO the only GOOD reason to cancell this system would be, as mentionned by the Admin, the bandwidth troubles generated.

The rating system is meant to be constructive - not conducive to personal vendettas. Folks should take it for what it is - light entertainment and nothing more. I don't think we will see anyone running to buy a round of drinks based on a check or check plus on their post. Enjoy it and get a laugh. If any form of "internet bullying" is coming from this (my child's 3rd grade teacher explained this concept to me yesterday - :lol: ) than a careful rethought is in order. It did work well in the past and I trust it will in the future. :)

i dont see this as smart.

the disagree and such is also helpful to post/treads you actualy disagree whit.

and the wtf rating is ok also sometimes :lol:

Cheers