When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

You Can Build a Nearly Perfect 116520 Daytona

freddy333

• 10 months later...

Great post.

As for the 316 Vs 904 steel, the 904 has more nickel in it which causes allergic reactions.

The only upside to using it is that is is more corrosion resistant...but we're talking the absolute limits of destructive testing here to achieve such corrosion. You'd never get to the point in real life where 316 would be corroding and 904 would not. So it's a pretty pointless usage by Rolex imo, seeing that so many people cannot wear their watches/bracelets due to allergy to nickel.

Great thiking and a gret project, freddy. I've long wondered about the following:

Is there any way to fit the good dial/movement combo into a gen case? I've assembled enough gen parts to build a daytona and it would be nice to put them to use w/ the rep sec @6 dial/hands and movement while I source an el primero and dial. Of course if the if the case needs to be modified, I wouldn't do it. My smith is capable of making a movement ring, though.

Conversely, would a feet-amputated gen dial work in the project you did? Only the biggest daytona head in the world could tell that case from gen and only then by a minor difference in the bezel...

Great work!

Arch,

Unfortunately, the 116520's 4130 has the same size pinions as the EP400; as such, fitting a gen 116520 dial on a 7750 based movement is a no-go since the 7750's pinions are significantly larger (i.e. the dial's opening is too small).

Additionally, the gen case is far too slim to fit the modified 7750 for seconds at 6:00; the thin case rep is only doable since there's a large flange on the backside of the case to facilitate the extra height of the movement.

Is there any way to fit the good dial/movement combo into a gen case?

As far as a drop-in swap goes, I agree with Ubi. No way. But my guess is that if you are willing to do some serious surgery on the case & can work out a scheme to align the stem, it could be done (considering some of the dremel gymnastics I have had to affect to assemble DWs, I have come to the conclusion that just about anything can be made to fit as long as the external dimensions of the case are larger than the outer confines of the movement). However, I am not sure I could justify that much work for such minor returns since the low profile case (if a proper bezel & caseback can be found/fitted) is nearly indistinguishable from the gen. I doubt I would be able to tell them apart. I have enough trouble now

marbles010clear21.jpg

rolexmercedes0011.jpg

Conversely, would a feet-amputated gen dial work in the project you did? Only the biggest daytona head in the world could tell that case from gen and only then by a minor difference in the bezel...

Great work!

Thanks. I think it was last year that someone did just that. Trouble was that I could not be sure which was which - the gen dial or the rep? At least, not from an arm's length away. The dial I use is very well done, which makes it difficult to tell it apart from the gen in the low profile case even when viewed side-by-side (I think even By-Tor said as much in 1 of his Daytona reviews of a completely out-of-the-box 116520 rep). So I am not sure that hacking a gen dial would make alot of economic sense.

Now, if you could resize a full set of gen Daytona hands to fit the 7750, that would make a slight but noticeable difference (my watch is fitted with gen subdial hands, but it is the 3 large hands that hold the power).

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Is IdolReplicas a TD?

What is a 'TD'?

What do you guys think of this case as base

http://www.1-pc8838....del-p-3629.html

The bezel looks very flat.

This is the current/standard, wide-body modern Daytona (not the low-profile case indicated in my article). Refer to my pic of the CGs, which identifies the low-profile case (which also has a flatter bezel).

If anyone has the 'left' over, case, crown and movement from one of these builds, please shoot me your price. I am looking for donors for a project I'm undertaking and these are a 'close enough' option. thanks - J

• 1 year later...

The 7750 has 2 side-mounted clips (in the red circles) that pivot in/out to lock/unlock the dial feet in the pillar (main) plate. With a small pin, tweezer or flat blade, gently rotate the clip out away from the movement to free each of the feet & the dial will then come off (make sure you remove the hands 1st).

post-3175-0-74297500-1388887732_thumb.jp

post-3175-0-50000400-1388887742_thumb.jp

Thank you Freddy,

There were also some "stickies" holding the dial to the top plate, but all went well.

I rebuilt the keyless works to re-align the stem, but the problem is actually not that - the stem actually does not want to stay in the watch!  It seems to function correctly during the assembly, but then it comes out with little force when trying to set the hour time. I have now rebuilt it 3 times making minor adjustments to the spring on the setting level jumber. It is barely holding on but once the crown is screwed down, and the hour time has been set it is not an immediate issue.

If you have any ideas they would be most appreciated ;-)

Thanks again,

Phil