When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I do not like where Panerai is going..

milsub5517

..with its current models. Call me crazy...but i do not like recent Panerai models. I think Panerai is loosing its soul. Originally i liked Panerai for the "bold simplicity" of its early models. Now i think its going in the breitling/rolex direction... (wait till PAM with diamond bezel comes out of Firenze factory) ..and i do not like that.

but who am i, right? ;)

Edited by mil_sub

..with its current models. Call me crazy...but i do not like recent Panerai models. I think Panerai is loosing its soul. Originally i liked Panerai for the "bold simplicity" of its early models. Now i think its going in the breitling/rolex direction... (wait till PAM with diamond bezel comes out of Firenze factory) ..and i do not like that.

but who am i, right? ;)

From PSTI:

Diamond-set models

All the original production of diamond-set models are basically polished steel Luminor Base watches with diamonds slapped on them in an assortment of inappropriate places. The indications offered are simply hours and minutes. They all have black dials, and come with a variety of garish straps.

For Christmas 2000 two further diamond-set models were released as well, a 40mm Luminor automatic, and a Radiomir. I'm not sure whether these count as special editions or not.

Since then several more watches have been produced. I have never seen any of these watches in a catalogue, and the existence of many of them is only indicated by their presence on the 2001 price list.

More diamond set watch references were added in 2002. Diamond set models are now only produced on demand, so I guess the millesimation is out of the window.

You mean something like the PAM 030 of 1999? :p

pam_30_1.jpg

You are right and I feel the same way but I understand that they have to move on.

Now producing more In House movements and a Tourbillon, they got the Manifattura status.

Love the In House calibers though.

I believe that they'll keep producing the Historic collection just to keep their "soul".

With the pre V and pre A's going sky high I wonder where it'll stop. :wacko:

I actually like the direction they are headed. How many more $3-5,000 watches based on $50 movements can a company sell? Moving into proprietary movements while maintaining luminor and radiomir based case designs seems to me to be coming as close to sticking to their original heritage as possible while ensuring the longevity and profitability of the brand. Make no mistake, I hate the new price levels, do not love all their new models (and they do need to get rid of the 69 Impala speedometer look for the power reserve :lol:) But the 233 has grown on me and I am loving the pictures of the new diver with built in depth gauge.

Panerai is like rolex - coming out with new and sometimes questionable models, while still maintaining their bread and butter watches (day-date and submariner for Roles, the marina milare and rad cased models for Panerai). I like the push toward in house movements, that's one way to move beyond "upper middle class" status to the true elite in the watch world.

Dani-

I agree on the speedometer look as well but the watch is still growing on me. ;)

not me,whit all the other beautiful watches out their this ugly duckling does not get views from me.

but hey even the ugly duck needs some one to love him :)

I know Lord Rasta said this PAM looks good next to a Super Bowl ring (maybe so, since they're both overkill)...

...but IN GENERAL, this trend is despicable.

227711704_12d86f1520_o.jpg

rap stars,nba,nfl,nhl all this guys ascpecialy the afro americans love bling. :lol:

I would LOVE to see a new 112-like base Luminor from Panerai utilising the new 8 Day in-house movement.

I could fall in love with the 233 if they moved the PR indicator to the rear of the movement, like the JLC movement in the 190. I can live with the date, the GMT hand and the day/night indicator.

I would LOVE to see a new 112-like base Luminor from Panerai utilising the new 8 Day in-house movement.

I could fall in love with the 233 if they moved the PR indicator to the rear of the movement, like the JLC movement in the 190. I can live with the date, the GMT hand and the day/night indicator.

I agree.. I also hate the PR indicator...

yeap the same here, i love diver watches because of the dial simplicity,

thats why i like panerai, simple dials, elegant shape.

the 127 is a dream, now panerai is making 47mm watches with the p.2002 movement buuuut... date - gmt - power reserve etc, i hate gmt on panerais and power reserve

i hope they will remake 1950 with a different name and p.2002 but keep the dial simple.

Well, if you prefer the complications visible on the back go with the Tourbillon. :lol:

Don't even get me started on that, Kruz! :p

I don't see the need for a PR complication at all, especially on an 8 day movement. Just wind it up every once in a while and you're set. It's not that tough to say to yourself: "Hmmm, I haven't wound my watch in almost a week, I guess it's time..." Is it?

I actually like the direction they are headed. How many more $3-5,000 watches based on $50 movements can a company sell?

SNIP

But the 233 has grown on me and I am loving the pictures of the new diver with built in depth gauge.

K,

I never liked the 233 until the dealer slapped it onto my wrist....it is sweet....its perfect...GMT, PR, Date....without their crappy cyclops...(I hated the date window on my 252)....and of course....a movement that is worthy to be called Manifatture....I'm still on the fence to get one this year....but it is the only gen I am interested in

...for now.

:p

Are you thinking of gettin one?

I don't see any diamond model among their new models.

And the 233 is a beauty. Period.

Just, should I ever get one, I'll remove the GMT hand. :lol: