When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

iPhone and eMails

Stephane

Hey guys,

A short story first.

Admin and I had a talk about PDAs and phones and iPhone.

My way of considering these things is: I have a laptop and I have a phone.

Why the hell would I need a PDA/SmartPhone/iPhone?

My laptop is almost always where I am.

All I ask my mobile phone is to...phone.

I don't even use the text messages...

Well, that was before I touched an iPhone in NYC...then, it started to grow on me.

Of course, my closest collegue and friend being a MacApple freak since the fist machine Steve Jobs ever brought to the market, it was impossible to resist to the pression...

So we got them today (craked of course 1.1.3/8 gigs) and I already managed to post on RWG with it :1a:

Guys, that phone is simply a beauty!

I can't believe what I see...so easy to use and so intuitive.

I will finaly use text messaging now.

I wish my job wouldn't require a PC Laptop and I could get a Mac Book something...

But....

Question:

Does anybody tried to set up their email accounts and discover it only accept one?

I set two eMail accounts (same mail server, same pop, same login but different passwords, same smtp) and it transforms both into the same one... :o

I swear I'm not that stupid and that I set up two different email adresses, but it ends up with the two exact same email accounts and adresses :bangin:

I thought I might post this here as maybe other members encounter the same issue.

Any idea?

Cheers

Stephane

WHOAHHHHH... now i'm jealous! I just got the HTC Touch Dual, which is quite a nice smartphone, just because the iPhone is still not available in the Netherlands... and me being Apple freak i really want the iPhone.

So congrats with the new toy my friend... and i'm sure it will grow even more on you. When waiting in a bar on your newest chic... you can check RWG, while on the air and waiting for a song... you can check RWG... guess it's gonna be very vivid here when you're online whole the time :D

IMAP on an iPhone? How much memory does your phone have anyway? You don't want to store/synch all that junk on your phone.

I bought an iPhone for my daughter and those things are addicting!

IMAP on an iPhone? How much memory does your phone have anyway? You don't want to store/synch all that junk on your phone.

It stores the last 50 (well, between 25 and 200, depending on what you want) messages. You want more? It'll get it on the fly.

Are you sure you're not confusing POP and IMAP? IMAP is the one that stores messages on the server whereas POP3 is the one that you have to download every message, one at a time. Yes, if someone sends you 30 mails of lolcats in a row, mail 31 won't be viewable until you've downloaded the cats on POP3. On IMAP, it just downloads the headers first.

I have 8GB on my iPhone, 2GB of mails on one account on the server, 3GB of IMAPed Gmail and a few MB on another account. I store about 50MB of mail on the phone at the most. It's probably closer to 5MB. On IMAP, attachments are only downloaded when you click on them.

Ah, you have your IMAP configured different than me. I get more headers than that and my distributed email stores on my many synch'd machines are BIG.

You set your iPhone to get more than 50 headers? ;)

I run a procmail recipe to pre-sort messages and therefore don't get headers on subdirectories unless I open them. All I get is a flag of how many new messages are in each directory.

Seriously, give IMAP a go on the iPhone and you'll see why it's a much better option than POP3.

I was sure I could count on experts here :lol:

Well, Pop because it's my own mail server and the capacity is set to "huge".

Again, it has nothing to do with any online mail account not ISP mail accounts: own physical server, own mail server, 2 Meg SDSL...

Getting pop to the iPhone (25-200) doesn't bother me at all as on a drive space pov I will not use it for music at all.

Of course, I have to admit I have no idea what Imap is compared to Pop.

If it only downloads a sneak preview it might even bother me as I wanna be able to read the entire mail right away without any other manipulation.

I'm curious to hear your test Pug. It doesn't make sense to me what happens with the second account (frankenstein itself to be the exact same as the first one)...

Weird thing :animal_rooster:

I'm curious to hear your test Pug. It doesn't make sense to me what happens with the second account (frankenstein itself to be the exact same as the first one)...

As soon as the internet stops being crap here, I will set up two POP accounts on my server.

IMAP is better than POP because it can do exactly what POP can do, and more.

Ok, I created two accounts on my server with very similar addresses (popple@ and popper@) and I set them up on the iPhone. They can both receive mails without a problem.

I don't see how you can have a problem.

Hang on, did you say two accounts with the same login? Identical accounts, just with different passwords? That'll never work. One account will be invalid.

Ok, I created two accounts on my server with very similar addresses (popple@ and popper@) and I set them up on the iPhone. They can both receive mails without a problem.

I don't see how you can have a problem.

Hang on, did you say two accounts with the same login? Identical accounts, just with different passwords? That'll never work. One account will be invalid.

Ok.

I'll try with new separate accounts and set up different logins tomorrow.

Btw...posting from my iPhone! :D

Thanks Pug

• 3 weeks later...

The yet to be release 2.0 firmware for the iphone is coming with Microsoft Exchange and ActiveSync support, Apple have decided to go enterprise because thats the standard for email in most company's. They are also implementing Cisco VPN and others cool features for us.

By the way, you can get an 8Gb iphone for $250 without contract from ATT Refb, just read apple refb policy and see theres nothing wrong with them. im grabbing mine tomorrow [online]. hope i dont have any prob. ordering one!

Cheers

Edited by warbody

By the way, you can get an 8Gb iphone for $250 without contract from ATT Refb, just read apple refb policy and see theres nothing wrong with them. im grabbing mine tomorrow [online]. hope i dont have any prob. ordering one!

Cheers

Where did you see this? I don't see any refurb iPhones on the site??

I was going to get the Sony Ericsson k850i (upgrading from the last 3 Sonys I've had) but didn't like it's flaws... iPhone was discounted for the cr@p camera (I don't have any other camera but the phone)... was going to take the LG Viewty because it can do what the iPhone can do and more.... wasn't interested in the Nokia N95 because of the poor battery life, but luckily the N82 came out and I got that...

Anyway back to the topic, I'm going to try and put my email on my phone too... didn't realise things had moved on from POP3 ... Imap sounds good as I just want to see the headers. I have 2 x 8gb cards (will get the 32gb cards when they are out though), and one is filled up with photos and 6gb+ of music, while the other has video of the wedding I went to in the weekend at 640x480 resolution at around 30fps. Not sure how much space is on there, as well as all the games and webpages I've saved. I haven't tried RWG on there yet, may give it a go later on. Find myself listening to too many football podcasts lately :rolleyes:

Anyone gonna start a RWG podcast ;)

US members let me now if some of you coud get me some iphones ill pay 45$ on top of cost of phone and shipping on each one trusted members only ;)

Its Not for sale in Norway and ebay is no option as my last order whent MIA.

Cheers