When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What does RWG mean to you?

TwoTone

For me RWG is not about the watches.....not any more....yes there will be future purchases but I know I already have enough to last a lifetime.

No to me RWG is about the people, people who will reach out in times of crisis to console my wife and report back to my many friends on any progress (my health scare), people who left so many pages of good wishes for me it took days to read on my return.

And people who were moved to send me small gifts, you will never know how much you brightened my day.

I am so honored to be a part of the Admin team of this board full of so many fine people.

So yeah RWG is not about the watches to me, it's about the people and to the people I say thank you. -_-

Ken

Edit to add; I see I am getting some stars, please when time to tally exclude me from any winners list, I only wanted to give my feelings on our site.

Well said, Ken, and, with the boldened text, likewise. I do not want to win supporter status. My support of this forum will be from nothing but my own efforts of support. I just wanted to say what the forum means to me :)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greetings and Salivations!

I stumbled across RWG quite by accident... while looking for a Rolex Daytona Rep.

I began by collecting pocket watches, I loved the quality of the movements and at the time they were really cheap. I taught myself basic watch repair and bought watches that needed a cleaning or mainspring replacement.

Then I began to collect Gen wristwatches I could afford, usually the ones that needed a little TLC.

I used to go garage sales and Flea Markets looking for these horological treasures. There were times when I literally had to run ahead of other watch collectors to get to a certain stall first. I mean it was competitive! While negotiating the price of a vintage Rolex with a dealer, another guy came and started a bidding war!

I got tired of all the running around and the watch collecting hobby came to a standstill.

The first rep I bought was back in 1993. A Rolex Day Date, quartz, chromed plastic! :bangin: I wore it for a while before I realized how silly it was.

I didn't realize how good reps were till I saw a few on FleaBay. These type of listings would vanish as soon as somebody pointed out that it was a rep.

One of the reps I saw was of the Daytona. I couldn`t believe how good it looked. Stainless steel and mechanical, not chrome covered brass or quartz.

And so my quest for knowledge began, and while googling for the rep Daytona I came across many sites offering Italian and Swiss reps and in the middle I found RWG. :1a:

I would like to thank RWG for renewing my interest in watch collecting and for my rapidly dwindling savings account!

The information here is invaluable and I have learned a lot about Gens by comparing them to their Reps.

Long live RWG! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I view this place as part of life's toy department. It is a place for enjoying my interests with the like minded individuals and where the more serious side of life usually doesn't intrude. This is the place that my parents warned against when I was growing up and they said "life is not all fun and games." Life may not be all fun and games but it is good that I have some place for it.

I joined four different replica watch forums around the same time, and RWG just "stuck" somehow. I'll try to describe why:

1) Intelligence--I know how difficult it can be to maintain a healthy forum atmosphere, and RWG has it. A core of intelligent, informed, polite, patient, and helpful members set the standard for others to join in the conversation in a way that actually contributes to the group. For that alone RWG is a great site; with mature, entertaining, and interactive content that never feels too restricted or over-moderated.

2) Passion--Not just people who know watches but people who LOVE them, and it's contagious. I grew up loving watches--having a high-tech gadget on my wrist was part of my daily escape into my imagination. My ordinary wristwatch was a communication device, radar, and high-powered laser weapon all in one--as long as no one was looking. As an adult my love of watches faded into the background, although I picked up a fashion watch here and there, even some that tempted the imagination (like the Fossil 007 watch) it was never more than a passing fancy. Even when I decided I wanted an Omega and was actively shopping for one, I didn't have my heart set on any watch. After a week or so on RWG, the reviews, comments, and photos on this site had me lusting after all kinds of watches. I don't think I would have ever discovered the timeless beauty of a historic PAM on a fine leather strap without this site. It may not have imaginary lasers, but it certainly sparks the imagination.

3) Community--Another hallmark of a great site. In the short time I've been here I've seen several selfless acts of kindness and generosity, people giving to the community and asking nothing in return. It's the kind of thing that makes you want to "pay it forward", both on- and off-line.

I could go on all day, but the bottom line is that I'm hooked on this site. In all honesty, I just expected to join up, buy a couple of watches, and move on. It doesn't look like that could ever happen, there's just too much to talk about.

Thanks!

Bump...

B)

OK it's been bumped enough times by TT that an old timer can tell the truth.

I am here only because of the well moderated illegal craziness of the whole thing.

I know how it got started but I don't know how it will end. But I will be here for it.

Carl

Too much time on here, nervousness when I missed a day to check....:)

exchange of knowledges on every field of watches, experiences from members to share, interesting stories,

meeting interesting people. After the awesome GTG in Brussels having some more true friends with the same crazy hobby

I suppose I will be here till the end of days

Tnx to T and everyone else for making this possible

Ok...

We have our winners...

The following 6 members will upgraded to Supporter Status for 1 Year...

We are going with 6 because we had a tie for number 5...

If you haven't taken the time to read there Posts, please do so...

Thanks again to our anonymous donor...

Double T

SubFrog 11

Shundi 8

Lifter Catcher 6

Doc Savage 6

Specialvat 5

Omegaunit 5

RWG means a place where I can go to find expert, sometimes not expert, advice on my new hobby. I have been able to start my collection with great info and resources from a variety of members. I aslo find it a great mid day break to escape the daily work crud.

Thanks to all at RWG for a great resource.

-jds

Ok...

We have our winners...

The following 6 members will upgraded to Supporter Status for 1 Year...

We are going with 6 because we had a tie for number 5...

If you haven't taken the time to read there Posts, please do so...

Thanks again to our anonymous donor...

Double T

SubFrog 11

Shundi 8

Lifter Catcher 6

Doc Savage 6

Specialvat 5

Omegaunit 5

Congrats to all! Well done, ADMIN!