When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Got a new cat...called a savannah

mezzanine

Thanks, he's a 'savannah' which means that he has african serval DNA in his genetic heritage...which explains the spots and exotic look. He's completely domestic, though, in terms of his behavior- uses a litter box, very affectionate, etc..

He can actually be walked like a dog, and I'm about to hop in the shower, and apparently some of them will actually get in the shower with you...they love water so much.

They're extremely intelligent, that was the first thing I noticed upon seeing this guy in person- moreso than the exotic markings. They have these big eyes and you can see them working things out...

He's neat. Here are a few pics, just got him home tonight. I usually don't post on this board, but this fella isn't your typical feline...

DSC01043.jpg

DSC01034.jpg

DSC01033.jpg

DSC01047.jpg

DSC01048.jpg

C'mon, you can tell us... He's really an Ashera, isn't he ;)

Awesome looking guy, I'm sure he'll be a great companion :)

A few weeks ago a serval actually got loose in our neighborhood. My wife spotted it a block from our house on her way to an evening class and it freaked her out. It was spotted a number of times over a period of days before animal control was able to capture it in a local schoolyard. The owner has not come forward, perhaps because it isn't legal to own a serval in Washington state. Just the same, serval kittens cost several thousand dollars, so you'd expect a person to use reasonable care. They are also supposed to be extremely high strung -- I read that an adult serval can be like a kitten on speed -- but in a 40-lb. package. I'm glad your cat has a good disposition. She's a beauty.

Yeah, I would never even consider owning a serval for the same reasons you stated in your post. They're a wild animal, and the cat that is pictured is actually 5 generations removed from his serval ancestor, so although he shares many of the same markings and such, he's very different from the wild servals that some people keep as pets. Some fraudulant savannah breeders have sold serval kittens in place of savannah's, because the serval kittens are much less expensive...and of course, are wild.

Yeah, I would never even consider owning a serval for the same reasons you stated in your post. They're a wild animal, and the cat that is pictured is actually 5 generations removed from his serval ancestor, so although he shares many of the same markings and such, he's very different from the wild servals that some people keep as pets. Some fraudulant savannah breeders have sold serval kittens in place of savannah's, because the serval kittens are much less expensive...and of course, are wild.

Serval kittens less expensive? I'm not sure I'd even want to know what you paid, then.

Cheers, and best wishes.

Beautiful cat. I have been researching exotic cats for a while now and would love to have a savannah although I want one that is bigger than the f5 you have. I plan to buy the biggest cat I can when I find the right breeder. That is sure to get some attention walking it down the beach here in florida :D I found a breed called habari that get up to about 30 lbs or so and are still friendly and have that tiger look. They run about $12K though. Gotta sell some watches............

Have you seen this website: Savannah Lots of good information.

I think it would be easier to get a Labrador to stop playing fetch more easily than it is to get this guy to stop. Problem is, he gets the other cat excited to play when I'm playing fetch with him, but whenever I throw it, it's the new guy that always gets there first so the my other cat is left out in the cold during play time. It's to the point where if he comes back and doesn't have it cause he couldnt' find it or whatever, I'll go "where is it" and hold out my hands, and he'll go back and find it or bring back a new toy for me to throw.

The new cat is an absolute baby. I've been surprised at the level of affection so quickly...when we first got him I'd figured he was going to take a while to warm up based on how skittish he was around people initially.

Also, he doesn't really like to held or restrained in any way because of the wild genetics. I thought the serval aspect would probable mute some of the domestic qualities that are most sought after from a personality perspective like sociability and friendliness.

In reality, I think it does the exact opposite. I'd read that the savannah's were more dog-like, but I've heard that for so long about animals that are considered 'new' pets, and most if not all are nothing like a dog. It's all just marketing hype.

At the time I brushed it off, but now I'm finding it harder to ignore the comparison because there's a quality beyond the sociability and friendliness that I haven't seen before in any other cat- loyalty and bonding.

I don't know what other domestic animal other than a dog has those qualities. He follows me around everywhere. Is more trusting and affectionate and expressive than any cat I've seen.

If I'm lying down he'll pop up on the bed and nestle under my arm pit and flip on his back look right up at me and meow his weird and disturbing meow until I give him some tummy rubs, and then it's purr time until I fall asleep.

If I'm at the computer like I am now, he's at my feet nuzzling his mousey under my chair so that I'll pick it up throw it down the hallway so he can pounce on it and bring it back and do it again. I think it's the serval part...I read that servals in captivity bond so close with their initial owners that if you remove them after a certain point they can die due to the effects of the separation.

It's also interesting to see what behaviors he's coming with, as far as what his breeder did before we received him as far as his behavior.

For example, my cat knows that if I'm in the kitchen, I'm not getting anything of interest to him as far as food because his food is kept in a bin in another room. If I even step foot in the kitchen, you'd think the police were on the way with how loud the savannah gets with his meowing.

I know I'm well beyond the point of absurdity when it comes to being enthused about such things, but damn if it isn't the best source of entertainment going for people easily amused like myself...

jfreeman420 we should chat if you get closer to making a decision. What's crazy is that I came extremely close to buying my savannah from the same breeder that has the habari. They Habari is really impressive with it's size.

I'd go for a savannah, though, if it were me. If you went for an F2 male from the right breeder with the right parents, you could get around 25lbs except it will be more like 40lbs visually compared to the Habari because of the difference in body types.

That's why when I was looking at the options I decided on the savannah instead of the bengal. The bengals are fantastic looking as well, but they have a domestic cats body type, so the weight distribution isn't as exotic appearing as it is with the Savannah.

I don't think the Habari is worth it now that there are savannah's, and I'm not even sure that the Habari's would have the same unique personality in terms of being walkable on a leash and all of that stuff. I don't think the huge $$ premium they command because they're an experimental line from one particular breeder is a good value at all.

God, I keep getting scared my guy is going to hurt himself the way he bombs after his toys playing fetch....

Guest madstal

Cool cat there! I was looking at a Bengal Leopard Cat way back when - probably similar in a lot of ways.

Your gray cat looks identicial to my one now!

Cool.

That is some special cat! There sure is some dog-dna in him. Weird cat that likes to take a shower, play fetch and can be taken for a walk!

Our cat Ralph says hello! He is a Norwegian Forest cat, he sure has a mind of his own. :lol:"Miauw"

DSC_2558.jpg

17mai07_Ralph.jpg