When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Where are all of you people?

anton

How come I never see one of my own kind?

You know the type...the "watch enthusiast" who also happens to be wearing a rep that our dealers has and no one else does.

What gives?

The fora has 20,000+ unique members. Where are you people hiding?

And I am in airports, flying ten-fifteen days out of the month. So I am available to a much larger sort or people from various locales?

How come I never see anyone wear a nice watch, let alone gen or rep?

Am I alone here?

Or are you all based in some super-secret civilisation?

/invisible

To Secret Society Members:

It has come to my attention that subject designated "anton" has been sticking his nose in places it doesn't belong (no "thats what she said" jokes please)

I recommend sending the team of cannibalistic midgets to have a "talk" with him down by the East River.

Please arrange a "meeting" AQAP!

/invisible

Hm that's weird anton...we'll have to catch up sometime!

ND

To Secret Society Members:

It has come to my attention that subject designated "anton" has been sticking his nose in places it doesn't belong (no "thats what she said" jokes please)

I recommend sending the team of cannibalistic midgets to have a "talk" with him down by the East River.

Please arrange a "meeting" ASAP!

Message received and noted.

I am a frequent traveller and have run into a total of 3 high end reps that I noticed. And yes I couldn't resist torturing a guy wearing a Honpo 187 in the Cathay Pacific lounge. And the meanest part of it all was I was wearing a gen PAM at the time. When I asked him where he got it he said one of his clients gives him PAM's as presents. An innovative answer with plausible deniability. :lol:

Well - I see lots of people with real nice watches when travelling. If you want to see quantity go to Vegas or Waikiki, even in the plane people are flaunting it.

But I also see the occasional University Lab student with the gold Daytona - maybe he has rich parents. Or another Lab guy has a nice Submariner - maybe he saved all year for it, who knows. I always give people the benefit of the doubt and you hardly will get a close enough look to be certain its a rep...and never ask unless you know them!

-_-

But I also see the occasional University Lab student with the gold Daytona - maybe he has rich parents.

Believe it. I have seen more overall bling (either cars, jewels, clothes, hair) on university campuses than most places outside of Friday Happy Hour on Bay Street (the Canadian version of Wall Street). When foreign students can afford $20K tuition per year, 5 flights a year overseas, have BMWs, Benz's, or souped up street rods, and live in $750K condos bought for them just for the school year...gold watches are nothing.

My High School had most students driving cars far nicer than those driven by the teachers.

I fly frequently as well;

I'll keep an eye open for you anton.

I fly mostly out of Montreal (YUL) and my destinations are all over the US and Canada (mostly US).

BTW - If any of yous has any recommendations on how to avoid "junk" food whilst travelling, I'm all ears!

I'm in NY at the moment actually, some of the best Italian food I've ever tasted in this city!

Plum Tomatoes and Fromagio <-- WOW!!

I guess you could say my second home is LGA. I fly so often with USAirways that the agents now know me by name.

I'll admit I do see some nice pieces, but you only see your usual suspects ----- Rolex. Only once, I saw a JLC (I wonder if that was Dani).

I used to live in NYC and one of the things I loved to do was sit in Union Square Park. Only once did I run into a 6263 wearer. Freddy333, is that you?

I was wearing my 111h yesterday in LGA, and noticed a gentlemen with what I am sure was a gen Pam, it was stunning, but for the life of me, I could not figure out what model he was wearing.

I was flying out of LGA towards Mtl.

Could it have been a member from here?

I was checking in at the Venetian Hotel in Las Vegas and the VIP host that was checking me in had a rep SFSO on his wrist. It had the tell-tale pointy lug-horns and no AR with the black dial. I gave him a "nice watch" comment and he glanced at my Swiss SFSO with white dial and smirked and replied with the same.

If that was one of you...just send the damn thing to K222 or Chief and at least get the crystal AR'ed.

@Sssurfer: You'll be offline in 2 days, but I'll be offline when you return! Boo. :(

Hope you are going to enjoy a good time, Vicky. :)

This thread was on my mind all day today. I always watch-gawk now, but today I OD'ed.

I saw:

- A Nixon Rotolog like Doc Savage has, on a guy inside a Jeep :p

- Youngish woman with this enormous Donna Prada bag (I want!)...

d00c7996119244682217317rk0.jpg

...wearing I believe a (pink) Bertolucci, which I hate.

bluccictr.jpg

- Guy in a "Shark's Pub" t-shirt buying popcorn next to me, wearing a vintage Sub. I was very impressed! Our eyes met, so if you saw a starry-eyed girl staring at you in Aventura Mall, 'twas me.

- Middle-aged dude wearing a Tissot T-Touch, which my neighbour showed me how it works the other day. I know it's Quartz, but that's a cool watch.

AND VERY briefly, out of the corner of my eye, I think I saw a woman wearing a Panerai!! On the OEM calf. She looked a little like me too! Wow. That was creepy.

EDIT: Wow! I just checked the price of the Bertolucci. Depending on the watch edition, it's from $7k to $29k. Since there are no Bertolucci reps, that gal has Benjamins.

A few years ago I spotted posts on RWG 1 (or 2, I forget which) that led me to believe that a certain member worked in my company.

Based on a dissection of his board alias, I was able to scan the company address book and identify a couple of good candidates.

But the clinching clue was that this guy used the same distinctive sign-off in many of his board posts as well as in company e-mails, so I knew it had to be the same guy.

One day he caught me checking him out and he confronted me ... with some agitation.

After I explained our board connection, he confessed that when he noticed me checking him out he assumed I was the former boyfriend of a girl that he had just started dating.

The truth, that I was an RWG member and trying to check out his watch, relieved him and we were able to share coffee and watch anecdotes a few times. He even bought one of my watches to give to his girlfriend.

Note: He doesn't work there anymore, and I haven't seen him on the boards in a long time -- unless he resurfaced under a different alias, and minus his distinctive signature.

Yes amazing how few nice watches I see on people, at work, in aiports etc. Best I normally see is a swatch irony. But on friday I had a rep in and he had on a omega seamaster, looked to be a gen, but I didnt look too closely as I had on my speedmaster and i didnt want to be outed.

Had to laugh as a colleague at work called in, he had been to china and picked up a tag carrera, for around $25. He said, what do you think, well its wasnt great, but I said it was nice, he said, I know you always have the real ones, but I thought you'd like a look,

I like the fact he thinks mine are real :mellow:

Puts me off wearing my own carrera now though