When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Whats a reasonably sized rep collection?

DemonSlayer

I know there are some members here with an extrodinary amount of reps. However, whats the chance that all of them will get wrist time, not much...

Unless they have sentimental value, is there any other point in having such a large collection? I think 12 watches is plenty, and in my opinion, the ideal amount would be 8 reps. However like many members here, I'm having trouble keeping the numbers low :lol:

Personally any watches I find that are not getting any wrist time, and if they don't have any sentimental value, I would just sell them. Whats the opinions of others on this board?

I think that buying lots of reps certainly helps us identify our taste in watches. For example someone who might never have been into Breitling or Rolex, have found that after purchasing them as reps, they have developed a taste for them. If I was in this position, I would sell off all the reps that I know wouldn't get any wrist time at all, unless, as I pointed out they have sentimental value or if you plan to sell when the price increases.

Call me eccentric, but...

I tend to keep a collection based on theme. Whether it's pilot's watches, diver's watches, dress watches or sports watches, I keep a few in between themes so that any one of them could "do the job" when the time comes.

When I started wearing watches (in general), I thought owning two was enough (tool and dress). Now I have 24 watches, with 13 of them being gens, 11 reps. Some may call it much, but a watch is like an element of identity, like the way you decorate your home or the clothes you own.

I've thought about trimming down my collection to keep the ones I seem to wear the most, but again, it's an element of identity. And letting them so is like letting a piece of yourself go as well.

That is definitely personal opinion and you will often find that it changes over time for the same person. When I started I bought everything. Than I got bored with that and moved into a smaller number of highly modded and frankensteins. Some folks go the next level and end up with gens only. :lol: It is all a big cycle. But I suspect you will still find yourself hanging around here. ;)

Hmm, your quite right about that Kruzer. However with gens, it can be seen as a financial investment, as some gens do increase in value over time, in some cases by quite a significant amount. This won't happen with reps, so the investment reasons can't be applied to them. I just can't see the point of buying so many watches, and they're just collecting dust on a shelf, never likely to be worn again.

I have now 2 subs, a DW daytona (7750) and a gen movado. Not even close to being enough. Up next is a Montblanc Timewalker chrono, Frankenjust, and a vintage sub or dweller. I think 10 should be a reasonable amount, a nice, round number that multiplies very easily and a common, easy to find size for watch winder boxes.

The thing is, people are always complaining about reps not being accurate enough, and then they own 20 or so reps. They then wear a different one each day of the week ;) or similar, doesn't that make you more suspect of owning reps, unless people think you are LOADED and able to afford so many gens. By the way this is only addressed to people who want to pass of their reps as gens. Then you have gen owners who have only own one watch, but wear the same one day in day out for years :lol:

I began collecting ONLY gens and mostly all "dress" watches. These would include an Omega seamaster (mid sized), Rolex DJTT, Montblank Meisterstuck, 1925 14k Waltham, 1939 Elgin doctors watch, 1939 14k Gruen curvex, 1955 Whittenaur asymetrical, 1950 Bulova, Rado ceramic, Movado Museum, Cartier tank, Omega Deville 14K, Concord 18k ultrathin, Tissot dual time Zone Heritage, Rotary Reverso, Ventrua/BMW LCD, Exact copy of a ROLEX Prince from 1930 with quartz movement.....all in perfect/near perfect condition. THEN I found these remarkable reps and since that time I have not bought a gen. I now have about 20 reps along with around 20 gens....so thats 40 or more watches. Would I like to get rid of some of these....at times yes....There are say 8 watches that I could see myself parting with BUT that still leaves me with areound 30. Too many...maybe but collecting watches is what I do as my hobby. Anyone in the market to buy a watch??? LOL

Like Anton, I mostly collect to a 'theme'. That theme is Movie Memorabelia :lol:

I have a few watches which aren't from a specific movie or show, but not many... Since getting into PAMs, I haven't worn any of my 'Bond watches' for more than a few minutes :lol: As the 127 was worn by Orlando Bloom in Elizabethtown, technically, my 127 falls into that catagory (or would if it had the proper OEM Bordeaux strap...) however, I wear it because, I've found it the best watch for my needs, rather than just because it was in a movie :)

I know there are some members here with an extrodinary amount of reps. However, whats the chance that all of them will get wrist time, not much...

Unless they have sentimental value, is there any other point in having such a large collection? I think 12 watches is plenty, and in my opinion, the ideal amount would be 8 reps. However like many members here, I'm having trouble keeping the numbers low :lol:

Personally any watches I find that are not getting any wrist time, and if they don't have any sentimental value, I would just sell them. Whats the opinions of others on this board?

AS a long time collector of tall cased and mechanical chiming mantle and carrage clocks I see your point. But after winding and cleaning and listening to and caring for and lubricating over 80 of these magnificent time pieces they are part of me and I could never part with any. So what do I do instead you ask? I found this wonderful forum and am now in persuit of another dream. High quality reasonably priced replca watches. I just hope I can stop at less than 100. This is just one silly old mans opinion. Thanks for the topic and making me exercise my brain. By the way if you see me wandering and muttering to myself late at night just tell me what time it is as im probably trying to find my watch..........

depend on how many YOU really want....

i tell my wife all the time that we dont need anymore dishes (china). she like a variety of shapes and colors. we really only need a set of 4 and not 50,000.....

plus i use paper plates anyways since i hate doing dishes......

cc

this is definitely an interesting question. kruzer summed it up well -- i think most members' collections change over time based on their experience collecting watches, combined with ever-changing tastes and interests.

as for me, i like having variety to choose from -- different watches for different types of events, experiences, work days, travels, etc. while sometimes wearing a genuine watch is most appropriate (important work meetings, formal occasions, etc), it is nice to have a variety of reps to fill out the selection for everyday wear.

my criteria for keeping a watch is pretty simple -- if i really like the look & feel of a watch, i'll keep it -- even if i don't wear it all the time. as long as i enjoy wearing the watch when it makes it onto my wrist, it will have place in my collection. i definitely have watches that get less wrist time, but for most of these watches, i'd feel strange if they weren't in my collection (a perfect example is the old-factory omega moon watch).

just my $0.02 of course :)

deltatahoe

Whatever the collector's pocket book can afford. There is the limit.

To that sentiment I would be able to open up my own personal boutique (refer to my repgeek post the "woman that makes it all possible")

http://www.repgeek.com/showthread.php?t=15...it+all+possible

love the wife!!!

Seriously, I have had the good fortune to acquire 7 reps since January 2008 ... I am just about maxed out but not till I complete my bucket list (in order):

VC power reserve with leather strap

Mont Blanc Timewalker Automatic

BK GMT II - pepsi bezel

so that would make 10

However if any one was to ever give me the opportunity to amass the collection of reps and gens like Tanfoglio's on repgeek (http://www.repgeek.com/showthread.php?t=2885) ... I would not turn it away.

Edited by prince458

Everybody has their own reasons for collecting "forgeries". I've got lots of gens (motivated partly by my interest in reps), and tons of reps some going back 6-7 years. I think the count is around 75 reps. Do they all get wrist time? NO. But a lot of them do. After not wearing a particular watch for a month or so, I discover it in the drawer and it's like....WOW, a new watch!

Recycling these oldies (which are pretty good reps in their own right) gives me something "new" to wear.

I'm just too lazy to sell any. Lately, I've become particular on new purchases and I'm no longer buying 3-4 a month. ....but I have three new ones I haven't worn yet. The new Dewitt, Yachtie, and Gold Ferrari (to go with the stainless steel one).

.............and that new Chopard on Joshua's site today looks pretty enticing.

OOPS!

I narrowed it down to 6 watches, which seems to work for now. I recently sold a Flat 6 chronograph, which I thought I would miss, but not so much.

Gens:

Seiko 6309 Diver (weekend beater)

Debaufre Airforce (weekend)

Reps:

MBW 1680 red sub fully modded w/ gen 93150 bracelet (worn almost daily during the week)

MBW 1665 GWSD fully modded (fights w/ the 1680 for wrist time)

Swiss Yacht-Master w/ gen crown/tube (dress watch)

Omega SMP chronograph serviced w/ gen crown/tube and date wheel (usually worn at night during the week/weekend)

I'll acknowledge the "personal choice" mind set.....

like art some collectors like to have them just to view.. admire.. some collectors like to put them on display..

there are different psyches for collecting reps.. if it were just about keeping time then none of us would be here. B)

like kruzer said: .. it changes... and what might have been shelved a year ago now is being admired and worn.. but some just are taken out and admired..and worn wilst enjoying my favorite cigar of the day..

replica's of the genuine article are not (for me) just about keeping time or even wearing for that matter.. in some part it is about the History of an era...ie: Panerai.. IWC Pilot watches

and the "hobby" of modding them ...the quest to perfect the flaws

there is no way to actually wear all my replica's... sometimes I'll wear 3 different reps in one day.. that is definately not just a time piece when you do that... :lol:

Life is about variety at times... or it gets very boring :yawn:

Ask Victoria, she may be at 100 reps by now.

Passed that early January. Same with the straps, only double that figure. :huh:

I'd say a reasonably-sized collection for any rep watch owner is as follows:

- 3 "Ultimate" or "Super" reps @$300-400+ a piece (uPO, SSD, MBWs, IWC Aquatimer, Fiddy, HBB Lite & Ultimate)

- 2-4 top of the line 7750s etc. @ $200-300, just under the "Super Rep" category (Rolex DJ, loads of PAMs)

- 2-3 cheapies, A21js @ $100-$150 (Vacherons, Pateks, cheaper Rolexes like Noobs, PAMs, fantasy watches)

So basically, 7 to 10 watches.

Factor in the modding, and that's a minimum haul of $3000 for a veteran collection. The tendency is less not more as time goes by, though, as tastes & expectations crystallise.

In my case, I'm concentrating on the very cheap and the very expensive. I don't have $200-$300 watches anymore.

Passed that early January. Same with the straps, only double that figure. :huh:

Lady V tries to maintain a strict ratio of 10 posts/watch or strap.

So, every few posts, she's obligated to buy a few reps and straps.

I would try and keep up, but I don't think the floors in my century home could take the added weight of that SS.

:p