When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pam 212 Flyback

bertieng

Thinking of getting the 212, but then a bit confused here with the colour of the subdial hands. Some dealers here claimed that they have the correct black hands, but if you go the Panerai's official site, you will see the small hands are silver. So what is the true colour on a gen?

Then the other concern is the crystal. It seems that so far no dealers can supply the true sapphire. Is it really that dificult to make a domed sapphire?

The genuine has black subdial hands... the photo you see on the Panerai sitre is the prototype with silver hands and no REG TM on the crown guard.

The crystal is 'apparently' a synthetic sapphire... not sapphire but also not your typical mineral crystal from what I am told..

if you've only done some "REAL" research you would have found this....

GEN 212 Flyback

this are definitely the best pics on the web...

and all of your questions are answered...

regards,

Vladimir

Thanks Vladimir.

Am I correct from viewing the pics that there are differences between the subdials' size and positions?

BTW, should the gen. pushers have polished or brushed finish? It is hard to tell from the pics.

Thanks.

The crystal is 'apparently' a synthetic sapphire... not sapphire but also not your typical mineral crystal from what I am told..

David, let's not encourage dealers in playing with words :). Synthetic sapphire is sapphire.

If it is not sapphire, it is not synthetic sapphire either, it is something different.

I wonder what it is...

This may seem silly to some, but I actually prefer the look of the stainless hands..

To me hands are the most important aspect of beauty in any watch,.

Seeing them shine when reflected in light is a sight to behold...

also more practical when telling time at a glance or at an angle.

This has kept me away from many Pams... No plastic or painted hands for me.

I also hate that ugly Registered Trade Mark stamp on the CG...

Why the hell would they place that steer brand, in such a prominent position on a beautiful

watch is beyond me. :huh:

I actually ruined one CG trying to reverse to the back, I had to grind so much of it

away to get it to fit into place, that I underestimated the height of the crown when raised

for setting. ^_^

David, let's not encourage dealers in playing with words :). Synthetic sapphire is sapphire.

If it is not sapphire, it is not synthetic sapphire either, it is something different.

I wonder what it is...

Sapphire is a synthetic material, so yeah, this is a tautology really, but what dealers mean is fake sapphire, or simply put, crap window glass.

Sapphire is a synthetic material, so yeah, this is a tautology really, but what dealers mean is fake sapphire, or simply put, crap window glass.

Well... I wouldn't say these are crap window glass, but they are surely not sapphire... I believe that finepics tried to coat one and it exploded!

On the subdial hands thing... I actually prefer the silver hands, but installed black ones to emulate the original. That being done, I can hardly see the subdial hands now :thumbdown: Bad design choice on Panerai's part IMO :whistling:

That is exactly the use I would not enforce.

Actually, I was not speaking about a tautology -- which is not, as natural sapphire does exist, even if it is not used in watch crystals.

I was speaking about the fact that anytime a dealer passes glass for synthetic sapphire that is an intentional misguise and I think we all should discourage it.

On the subdial hands thing... I actually prefer the silver hands, but installed black ones to emulate the original. That being done, I can hardly see the subdial hands now :thumbdown: Bad design choice on Panerai's part IMO :whistling:

Exactly,... Black hands over a black background is not one of their better ideas....imo.

I know that some like the style of this black & white thing, but it's not practical,

or even beautiful in my eyes.....The Sparkle & Shine are Lost...

Watches are Metal after all and the brilliance of polished metal in contrast .. draws

the eye....not black paint.

Lastly regarding accuracy,..

As long as the Panerai site is displaying their 212 with stainless hands,

that's good enough for me... as you won't find 1 person in a 500 thousand that would

know the proto-type story.

74472-31870.jpg

------------------------ > :rolleyes:

Exactly,... Black hands over a black background is not one of their better ideas....imo.

I know that some like the style of this black & white thing, but it's not practical,

or even beautiful in my eyes.....The Sparkle & Shine are Lost...

Watches are Metal after all and the brilliance of polished metal in contrast .. draws

the eye....not black paint.

Lastly regarding accuracy,..

As long as the Panerai site is displaying their 212 with stainless hands,

that's good enough for me... as you won't find 1 person in a 500 thousand that would

know the proto-type story.

74480-31865.jpg

------------------------ > :rolleyes:

... and I'm seriously thinking about changing mine back to polished subdial hands :whistling:

Absolute rubbish!

Genuine sapphire is a gemstone. Synthetic sapphire is man-made - but has the same chemical composition and scratch resistance as the gemstone. Second hardest material known, after diamond.

To describe synthetic sapphire as "crap window glass" is ... well, just plain wrong. Sorry.

If you want to know more, go to the Synjeco factory in Switzerland, as I did. Synjeco (SYNthetic JEwell COmpany) are one of the major suppliers of synthetic sapphire to the Swiss watchmaking industry.

Yeah im also unsure of the pushers. Knew about the subdial hands but always been unsure of the pusher, although brushed looks better :)

...they look shiny on the gen?

I was the lucky guy today.

I´ve been able to give a genuine 212 a really close look at the local golf club today.

(Don´t get me wrong.... I´m not a member there. I work for the company that installed the alarm system and was there for the annual inspection :lol: )

A guy sitting at the bar was wearing a 212 and I asked him if I could have a look.

He instantly passed me the watch... (wow.... maybe I should have just run away with it :lol: )

I didn´t have a rep 212 at hand nor do I own one. So I only can talk about what jumped to my eye

in comparison with the pics I´ve seen of reps so far.

The pushers have a finish that is more polished than the case but not that mirror polished look like

for example the caseback. Something in between. Hard to describe.

But the most impressive part of the watch is the backside.

The finish on the movement is WAY WAY WAY beyond any rep so far.

Also the "OFFICINE PANERAI" writing on the rotor is much smaller.

And there are way more engravings on the metal part of the caseback than on the rep.

(Yet don´t remember what it was in detail)