When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A box of Rolex vintage!

Stephane

Dear All,

It has been a very long road before I end up in paradise :blink:

Today, my two 1680 finally came back home after an 11 months travel and a lot of frustration.

I will come back on these babies later this week or next.

So, my "crazy" vintage box is complete now :wub:

(at least for the moment)

Anyway, enjoy.

Cheers

Stephane

RolexVintageBox_800_01.jpg

1665 Single Red

RolexVintageBox_600_02.jpg

1665 Double Red

RolexVintageBox_600_03.jpg

1665 Great White

RolexVintageBox_600_04.jpg

RolexVintageBox_600_05.jpg

1680 Red

RolexVintageBox_600_07.jpg

1680 White

RolexVintageBox_600_06.jpg

Incredible vintage collection, Stephane. I have realized that with modded pieces, when they come back from being on a journey, it's very much like getting a new watch.

That single red is freaking amazing, and deserves to be on a genuine bracelet, if it isn't already. I'd go with a folded bracelet, and a 7836 to make it at least affordable. The effect of the bracelet is significant, because you get the unique sheen of the Rolex steel, which adds to the general credibility and look of the watch. I don't know if the MBW cases are the same type of steel, but I doubt it, and I notice that from far away perhaps the biggest tell on these watches can be the appearance of the steel- the genuine has an almost yellowish sheen, am I crazy? But it's one of the thngs, along with the acrylic, that I really like about the look of the vintages.

They strike you completely differently than a modern rollie. They look like they are from a different time, and that is the immediate impression and character they give off in their older styling. They appear more modular, heavy duty in terms of the lines and angles of the case (more sharp angles), etc.., the dial looks clearer because of the acrylic crystal, the dimensions of the crystal above the bezel add to the more tool-watch appearance vs. the newer ones. They look like vintage watches, and are a testament to the cultural peak of the mechanical watch. It's amazing how well the Rolex parts have held up over time.

I know that will be very expensive, but with that bezel already, I believe a genuine bracelet is worth it. If I was going to get a red 1665, I'd probably go balls to the walls and go for a highly aged project like you've done here. Why not? If you're going to wear a double red, why not a single? I love the work done on the dial on all of them. As I look at my own 1665 and see the flat top 3 and the thicker correct fonts of the Ubi datewheel, I remember how grateful I am that my 1665 has one...what a huge mod that makes using an ETA less damning.

This would be my ultimate vintage collection. Instead of having the number of pieces, I've had to try to narrow in on an example of each of the 1680 and 1665, and try to put extra attention into each. I wish that there were different models that took genuine parts. A vintage GMT seems like such a gimme, and the parts could be sourced without that much trouble (genuine). That's why I wonder what a vietnamese GMT case would cost if we were to organize a group buy. There are some amazing vintage inserts available- faded pink/light blue. Parts are not that expensive.

I'm less motivated to go after different variants in the same line, not because I wouldn't enjoy it, but because of cost. I'd love to be able to add either a GMT or McQueen, but I'm already too invested in my two watches to consider being able to justify going much further.

I enjoy the fact that these can be modded indefinitely. I'm still looking to get a superdome for the 1665 a genuine bezel assembly for the 1680, but beyond that, a helium valve mod is in order and that's about it. What's crazy is that I can spend the next few months (easily) trying to find those parts at a reasonable cost and getting the work done.

They're good in the sense that you can always be doing something more and add value to the watch as well as keep yourself occupied in this hobby that tends to make one hyper-active and correspondingly poor.

Thanks to all of you guys for the nice words :yu:

It has been very long too learn what is good and what is bad in this hobby.

I lost a lot of energy, time and of course money along the way as I was very naive.

I will remember the good guys of course, forget about the (few but real) assh*les I crossed in my journey.

These watches wouldn't be what they are without my friend MM.

Oh, I'm still very frustrated that I can't name him here of course :(

I would like to thank the numerous members who helped me in putting this "box" toghether (they will recognize themselves).

I received tons of advices, parts, links to parts and information...

Cheers

Stephane

The biggest thing that often doesn't get discussed, and yet is so relevant, is that Rolex's are some of the most comfortable watches going.

I would love to be able to say that wearing my HBB everyday was a realistic option, or a uPO or MBW AP ROO, but the reality is that my 1680 on a folded bracelet is definitely my most comfortable watch, followed by my 1665 on a hollow-mid link 93150 genuine bracelet. The only watches I could fall asleep with them on my wrist. I hate having watches on when I sleep, with the exception of those two.

As you know, I'm rather fond of that 5513 of yours. :D Awesome!

Hey hey, I know Jetsons, ...you've seen it.

Thanks.

The biggest thing that often doesn't get discussed, and yet is so relevant, is that Rolex's are some of the most comfortable watches going.

Agreed! It feels so natural to wear a Rolex after any other watch.

Like a second skin as we say in french.

I never understood why on Earth people need so many variations on the same theme of watch. WHY? Is not one vintage sub and sea-dweller enough?

I have a very addictive personality and like to play new games, have new goals.

I looked at the vintage and noticed there was 3 different dials for 1665 and 2 for 1680...

Makes sence to me to get them all and make them as close as the real deal.

At least more sence than collecting all the 16610 available reps which was my first idea :lol:

Beautiful collection Stephane! We're in the same boat, my collection of frankens is building! I've always been a fan of the no-date subs, and your 5513 has a stunning dial. I plan on building one eventually, and if I'm lucky, I may be able to source a 1520 ;) Here's my 5512:

IMG_1639.jpg

@Jojo

Well, what can I say Jojo...now I look at a 5512 :o

Your watch is very nice, congrats.

The 5513 is from JustAsGood and I still have the gen pearl to install.

I must recognize that a no date is really cool...even when I don't remember what day it is :)

@Vlydog

I'm sure you'll love the 5513/12.

Amazing simplicity :wub:

@SubFrog

Thank you so much, Ze Frog ;)

I'm a lucky guy so far.

I have a very addictive personality and like to play new games, have new goals.

I looked at the vintage and noticed there was 3 different dials for 1665 and 2 for 1680...

Makes sence to me to get them all and make them as close as the real deal.

At least more sence than collecting all the 16610 available reps which was my first idea :lol:

A true collecting personality...and a true collection!!!

My eyes haven't opened that wide in a long time. Awesome box of goodies.

I would love a breakdown of the process of getting your single red and double red put together...those are great!!!

A true collecting personality...and a true collection!!!

My eyes haven't opened that wide in a long time. Awesome box of goodies.

I would love a breakdown of the process of getting your single red and double red put together...those are great!!!

You might want to click on the link in my signature (Trilogy)...

:yeah: