When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Back to basics- A 14270 Explorer I frankenstein

ubiquitous

It's been a little while since I've built anything new; after a long hiatus from watches, I got that itch... The urge to have something new, and different than anything I'd built prior. To foreshadow this a bit... Sometime back, I had seen Stilty's fantastic franken project, and was smitten ever since. So, when the time came to start a new project, the answer was easy- A 14270 was the clear choice :)

So, where to start? Usually, I start with a dial, but in this particular project that specific element was proving to be difficult to source. So, I skipped ahead and kicked this one off with a case instead. The basis for this one was a genuine 16200 DateJust case, complete with crystal, bezel, etc:

IMG_2826.jpg

Nice silver dial with this one, though of no concern to me since it would not be used...

IMG_2860.jpg

Okay, so here we go. First thing to do is pop that cyclops off and add a gen 6mm Twinlock crown :)

IMG_2848.jpg

IMG_2858.jpg

And a couple of quick pics to show some details of the case...

IMG_2849.jpg

IMG_2856.jpg

IMG_2859.jpg

After some diligent searching, patience paid off. I found a dial, albeit not exactly perfect. Some small, superficial surface scratches, which are of no concern to me; this will be a watch for wearing, not fretting over. Pics don't reveal those scratches, and it's difficult to see them otherwise.

IMG_2867.jpg

IMG_2868.jpg

Dial test fitted:

IMG_2876.jpg

And test movement fitted:

IMG_2883.jpg

IMG_2893.jpg

For this particular project, I modified an old movement ring I had to fit the case. Time consuming, but worth it in the end:

IMG_2936.jpg

IMG_2937.jpg

And finally, new movement arrived and hands were fitted. Watch is currently being stress tested for the next few days, as per typical post-build routine. More pics to come :)

IMG_3152.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Cheers,

R

Hey R! Nice one!

That 14270 I built is now all in parts and on the back burner. 14270 before I tore it apart

My dial is the same. some small marks, but only noticable when looking for them. I finally got the matching hand set. I'm waiting for the hour and cannon pinion that I sent out to be cut on a lathe for a perfect fit. I tried to do it myself, but just didn't work to exact fit.

I switched to a 12892. I stripped off the date function, replaced the set bridge with a 2 position. Once I get the hour and cannon, I'll get around to putting it together.

Your hands look pretty good. Nice job!

Hey gang,

Thanks for taking the time to post some replies :) As always, the kind words are much appreciated!

I have only one concern with this model.

Do you feel it "normal" on the wrist?

Isn't it too small ?

Well, you do bring up a great point, Stephane. At 36mm, the case is a bit small by today's standards, though it wears great on the wrist. I think it is a very handsome watch given it's proportions; however, if one is used to wearing PAMs and other 42mm+ sized watches, this particular design may feel a bit small (naturally).

Hey R! Nice one!

That 14270 I built is now all in parts and on the back burner. 14270 before I tore it apart

My dial is the same. some small marks, but only noticable when looking for them. I finally got the matching hand set. I'm waiting for the hour and cannon pinion that I sent out to be cut on a lathe for a perfect fit. I tried to do it myself, but just didn't work to exact fit.

I switched to a 12892. I stripped off the date function, replaced the set bridge with a 2 position. Once I get the hour and cannon, I'll get around to putting it together.

Your hands look pretty good. Nice job!

Thanks, T. After seeing your 14270, I've had the Explorer on my mind ever since. I'm glad to have finally added one to the collection :)

Looking forward to seeing yours completed!

Thanks again for the kind comments, fellas!

Humbly yours,

R

Nice work Ubi! The Frankensplorer is a great watch and even better with the genuine dial. I haven't come across a genuine dial at a reasonable price yet but the rep dial in mine looks decent and will work til I come across a genuine at a fair price. I wear mine nearly every day. For the ease of assembly, cost of parts and great looks you can't beat one of these. Here's mine below.

Exp1.jpg

Nice work Ubi! The Frankensplorer is a great watch and even better with the genuine dial. I haven't come across a genuine dial at a reasonable price yet but the rep dial in mine looks decent and will work til I come across a genuine at a fair price. I wear mine nearly every day. For the ease of assembly, cost of parts and great looks you can't beat one of these. Here's mine below.

Exp1.jpg

Yours looks great! The simplicity of this piece is really what appeals to me. For the reasons you stated, I absolutely agree that this is a great project for the money. I think my total out of pocket expense is somewhere around what a 'Super Rep' might cost :)

Beautiful R. I've always had a special attraction for this model :thumbsupsmileyanim:

What movement did you end up using - 2836?

Thanks, D. I ended up going with a 2824-2 with this one as the stem lines up center with the tube. However, if I can find a perfect NOS dial, I may look into doing a genuine caliber 3000 instead. We'll see :)

Oh yes, I forgot to mention... great photos!

Danke, sir!

Ha, great idea, I love it! I thought of this everytime I put together a frankenjust. No FREAKIN datewheel problems! I love it. What height canon pinion and 4th wheel did you use? Stock? If so I may have to try to pull this one off too.

Is the case the same as the explorer case or something?

You may be starting a new trend here.

What height canon pinion and 4th wheel did you use? Stock? If so I may have to try to pull this one off too.

Is the case the same as the explorer case or something?

Yeah- Everything was put together as delivered. I didn't have any 2824's in my inventory, so I had to order a new one specific to this project. When the movement arrived, I simply installed as per usual. No swap out of the canon pinion, or hour wheel needed.

The 14270 does have it's own case and ref, but it's pretty much the same as a DJ.

Ubi-

Nice to see you putting your skills to good use again. Very pretty project. Now we just have to get you working on bigger watches. ;)

Thanks, kruz! So, when you say that a bigger watch project is needed, do you have something particular in mind? I know I just might ;)

It looks great, I like your approach, always get the one critical item, and then with time and patience you build on it and in the end get a really nice product.

That's what is so nice about reps overall, anyone can go and buy a watch, 3/4 of the fun is the hunt and satifaction of having done it yourself.

Nice job.

RG

I actually better relax. I may have to slow down, going to have to pay for college at the end of the summer. New apt, funrnishings, tuition, books, maybe no room for frankens. Probably should stick with 100% rep for now. Those explorer 1's are great IMO, the expII doesn't do anything for me at all. They're like submarinyachtmasterners or something.

It's good to know that this project is relatively easy to pull off, worst case buy the parts slowly, maybe even convert something. If I get restless enough I can start one.

I think I have a total of $600 into this one, so it's really not that much of a stretch from a rep. Granted, I did have things like the crown, bracelet, end links, etc already in hand, but for the most part, dial, case and movement were really not that much of an expense.

:)

• 5 years later...
  • 6 months later...