When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A Watch Of Titanic Proportions

UncleJay

I've been lusting after this watch for a while, just something about it I guess. I can only hope that one of our esteemed builders/dealers decide to produce these in the future. I think it would be quite popular, what's your opinion?

Technical data: Romain Jerome SA "Titanic-DNA" - extreme rusted steel version:

Movement: Movement La Joux-Perret 8235

Number of jewels: 24 rubies

Power reserve > 42 hours

Black dial integrating recovered coal from the Titanic.

Bezel made of extreme rusted steel forged with authentic parts of the Titanic.

Frequency: 28'800 vibration/hour.

Case: Steel and titanium. Diameter 46 mm.

Horns: Blackened satin-finished steel. Can be set with brilliant or trapeze-cut diamonds.

Horn insert: Blackened satin-finished steel.

Back: Hand engraved medallion by Kees Engelbarts.

Water-resistant: 5 Atm.

Strap: Premium Rubber.

Buckle: Satin-finished steel ardillon buckle.

Limited Edition

http://www.romainjerome.ch/home/langues.aspx

post-8676-1208341137_thumb.jpg

I showed it to my wife when I first saw it in a magazine, and she hated it. Said I was a dummy stupid for wanting to buy a new watch that was rusted. I told her it was made from steel off the Titanic and she started to tell me how much she loves that movie bla bla Oh Jack bla bla bla.

I on the other hand think it's very cool and would be a great conversation piece for fellow watch nerds. I would buy a rep of it for sure.

Who's going to be the first to need a tetnis shot when the rep version drops and they tried to mod it?

You're not even a serious rep collector until your wearing your rep SSD or SFSO whilst commissioning a dive to retrieve a hefty chunk of rusted steel from the titanic, in order to get gen bezels made for the titanic reps.

I can't believe a man of your established good taste would want a POS like that. Snap out of it, it's a gimmick. Honestly, who would willingly want a rusted piece of junk on your wrist let alone a rep of a rusted piece of junk. After all, it's one thing to have a piece of rust and some alleged coal dust from the Titanic it quite another to have a Chinese rep of the thing that has never been near an Iceberg. Kind of defeats the point of it.

This is one crazy world we live in.

I am forced to agree, in all honesty since my grandfather was an Engineer on the Titanic I consider this making money out of what is effectively grave robbing. It is one thing to see say an item in an exhibition or museum, quite another to use it as a selling point to make someone richer. If they were making some kind of donation to a maritime charity then it would be something but this is simple using history to sell something none of us would usually consider buying.

Just my 37 pence worth

Edited by chronology1066

Actually, the watch comes in more than the "rusty" version. It comes in SS, or PVD as well. As far as it being made from Titanic steel, thats a bit of hype. The manufacture secured a piece of steel from the Titanic before it was declared untouchable. I've not heard how much they obtained, but whatever it was, it has been diluted with normal steel.

Kind of reminds me of when Kiss released their comic book. Each member of the band poured about an ounce of their own blood in to this huge vat of printing ink. It wasn't very much but was enough to claim that each comic book had been printed with "real Kiss blood" :p

Edited by andreww

Though the brand has been around for a while, I also feel it's a bit much $ for a relative unknown. I figure they can/will be found at 40 to 60% off. They'll float around a while until some sell at retail, then the FIRE SALE starts .... hopefully. ;)

I actually think it would be kind of fun for a rep. I'm not too sold on the design, but like was said earlier, as a conversation piece of what could be done by the rep makers, I think it would be amusing. Can you imagine the threads on the quality of the rust application...rust dust under the dial, etc.

I liken it to the back of the 2006 Cousteau Diver being fun for conversation, even though it's a sticker unless modded.

• 2 weeks later...