When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Palp Crowns - should i produce some for RWG?

t

Here is a question and I apologize if this has been answered before in the past.

With all the issues that arise from the PAM crowns and the "ditch" and how it fits to the rep case tubes, why not also make a case tube that will work with your crown the correct way, every time. Sell the pieces as a set. Is it safe to say that most rep cases use the same diameter case tube?

Would it not be easier to remove the old case tube and install it (like how the Rolex guys do to their reps) to get the proper fit and look?

I would think that members here would be willing to fork out a bit more cash for not only a crown that looks correct dimensionally but fits correctly to their cases with minmal issues.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey guys looks good

i will wait for the final result and the final drawings in 3D

and will get this to the factory. The name of this crown will be "RWG crown" :group:

we will get a first prototype and can change small things. All in all this process will take 3 - 4 months. But i am sure it will worth it. Titan and PVD crowns are also no problem. Automatic crowns are also possible if the design is the same - the inner diameter of stem is changeable from 1.2 to 0.9.

The current genuine crowns don't have the external 'O' rings but have an internal ring within the tube, exactly the same as Jimmy Fu's tube and DSN's current SS sprung crown & tube. In fact DSN's crown would be a perfect 1:1 copy of the current genuine SS crown if only his didn't have the excessive edge bevel that makes the crown look narrower than it actually is. If we could discover DSN's supplier and persuade him to modify the CNC setup to reduce the edge bevel than this whole thing would be sorted. However, I think that it would be easier to start off with DSN's crown and tube and replicate it with the correct detail - this approach has 2 advantages;

1) we can provide matched DSN crowns and tubes as samples which can be dismantled without ruining gen crowns,

2) we will avoid reinventing something that has already been sorted,

3) we know that the DSN / Jimmy Fu tube can be fitted into rep cases (this ring setup is slimmer than the older, external double ring which results in a wider tube),

4) any crown produced after this pattern will simply pop straight into existing Jimmy Fu cases.

My suggestion is to simply develop and perfect the DSN crown and provide at least 2 different options for the edge bevel which will give 2 apparent widths of crowns, as Panerai crowns varied over the years (generally speaking preV crowns = wider / current = narrower, but there are exceptions, not least because Panerai claim that they have no preV parts and will replace older crowns with newer equivalents if needed).

So you suggest to do a complete set with crown and tube? Well, that would do as well, but swapping the crown is one thing, replacing the tube is another. So doing this project would be impossible for most of us without paying a pro modder for swapping the tube. With related expenses and shipping/customs risk this would keep a lot of people away from taking this project and making use of t

Edited by Fish

One additional idea: We could go up with the crown thickness to 1,98 so we can get the recessed area at the outside to 1mm depth or we go to 1,97 and get a depth of 0,9.

This would allow to get as close as possible to the appearance of the gen part.

Edit wegen Denkfehler: Wenn wir die innere Seite als Bezugsebene w

Edited by Fish

With all the discusions about the inaccuracy of DSN cases why should this be made for DSN PAMs while all others would have to replace their tubes?

That's exactly what I thought. IMHO the crowns we're going to do should be an opportunity for those wanting perfect reps and these people would use a standard rep case.

Fish: Miss doch mal bitte den Abstand zwischen Kronenb

That's exactly what I thought. IMHO the crowns we're going to do should be an opportunity for those wanting perfect reps and these people would use a standard rep case.

Fish: Miss doch mal bitte den Abstand zwischen Kronenb

So you suggest to do a complete set with crown and tube? Well, that would do as well, but swapping the crown is one thing, replacing the tube is another. So doing this project would be impossible for most of us without paying a pro modder for swapping the tube. With related expenses and shipping/customs risk this would keep a lot of people away from taking this project and making use of t

If any of the engineers/ designers who have so generously posted in this loop have actual experience converting either a scan of an actual case part or more general drawings into CNC usable plans please shoot me a PM whenever you have a chance. I am working with another member on a small CNC project and before we invest real money into it I had a couple of quick questions. Thanks in advance.

-Kruz

I guess chefcook will have the 2D-plans with dimensions done and ready for corrections for this piece in a few days regarding what he did so far...

What would you need? A program for a CNC manufacturing unit? I am a little out of training with these things and I don

Edited by Fish