When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Palp Crowns - should i produce some for RWG?

t

no CG.. this is to much risk here in germany. PAM CG is a protected Trade Mark

crown with spring is to difficult. I think a PALP crown but in 2.0mm is the best way

any other ideas???

i heard that the PALP crown has to less rills? How much is correct?

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

60 tine on the crown. You are smart to take a pass on the CG. By the way remaking the Jimmy CG may or may not work with the 27 or 28 anyhow. Jimmy cg was built for one position handwind - not two stop automatic. Automatic cgs's are 1-2mm deeper for this reason. The 2892/3 with a gen or otherwise spring loaded crown leaves very little room for error. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't - even with a custom case tube.

no CG.. this is to much risk here in germany. PAM CG is a protected Trade Mark

crown with spring is to difficult. I think a PALP crown but in 2.0mm is the best way

any other ideas???

i heard that the PALP crown has to less rills? How much is correct?

@ t

I have a Palp crown that was in that PAM lot of defects; incorrectly tapped threads.

If you need it for your project you can have it.

@ t

I have a Palp crown that was in that PAM lot of defects; incorrectly tapped threads.

If you need it for your project you can have it.

vlydog

thanks but i have also a PALP crown for sample.

i would suggest looking at the Davidsen titanium crowns that received much acclaim as being very gen looking. Apparently they are spot on, but the big problem was that his ss and pvd crowns are different. i'll try to post a pic soon.

after looking more closely, i don't think the DSN crowns have enough teeth. oh well :)

If the Palp crown is being used as a sample please correct the recess, where the lever closes. This should be deeper than Palp's to allow a more normal CG lever length because Palp's crown required the levers to be shortened too much.

BTW, DSN's latest SS crown and tube is excellent except for the bevel on the edge being too much. If he could produce the same crown with less bevel it would be perfect and it comes with its own case tube.

Edited by PAMman

I would suggest using some combination of a gen crown and a Palp as the model. Both are readily available from members and I suspect T has them anyhow. The reason why I suggest a Palp is that other than shrinking the overall width from 2.1 to 2.0 or 1.9 everything about it works with most rep cases and crown guards.

Simply put.. I think at 30-40 EUR ($45-60 USD)... you would sell out all under about 200 units for sure.... that's almost a guarantee...

I would definitely be in for some...

As for crown guards... i am in possession of a 029A crown guard assembly... the lever and pin are still in the blister pack while the CG itself was taken out of its blister pack (still have it though) to see if the screws matched up.... i also have the invoice itself from richemont.... been thinking of looking around for a place to make them...

Simply put.. I think at 30-40 EUR ($45-60 USD)... you would sell out all under about 200 units for sure.... that's almost a guarantee...

I would definitely be in for some...

As for crown guards... i am in possession of a 029A crown guard assembly... the lever and pin are still in the blister pack while the CG itself was taken out of its blister pack (still have it though) to see if the screws matched up.... i also have the invoice itself from richemont.... been thinking of looking around for a place to make them...

Make them i em sure you will sell many of them, and i em sure if you need help some here woud steep up :)

Cheers

OK

latest update: PALP crown but 2.0mm instead of 2.1

any other advice?

in my opinion... plap crown is not good enough. The crown fits to close on the case??? The genuine crowns are different???

V - where are you when we need you?

in my opinion... plap crown is not good enough. The crown fits to close on the case???

It depends on the lenght and diameter of the rep tube on the rep case, t.

If the diameter is a no-fit to the ... uhm, I don't know how to call it... the crown "ditch", then the crown stays away from the case and there is little or nothing that can be done.

ditchfh0.jpg

If the diameter fits, then the crown can still stay away from the case, if the tube is too long i.e. if it was designed for a crown with a deeper "ditch". In this case filing down the tube is a fix.

The crown can also stay too close to the case. Gen crowns are not flush with the case, there is about a 0.3-0.4mm distance.

A decent fix for a crown too close to the case is often just adding a 2nd crown gasket.

I hope this makes sense.

I tried palp's crowns on several different rep cases and I found all possible result, from crowns too close to the case, to crowns too far from it. It depended on the case, not on the crown.

Still, palp's crowns were a good tradeoff. They fitted most cases with little or no further modding. Better, under this respect, than e.g. lello's crowns, that needed to file the tube on 90% of cases.

I think that if you can just remake palp's crowns, but 2.0mm thick and without their aligment issues, you will have a winner.