When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I'd kill for a 42mm UPO

whitestripes

@RobbieG

damn your gen 42mm looks so damn good.

love your gen lume.

Thanks Juice. You know the AR is really exceptionally "deep" on this watch and the lume is too. I also have a gen IWC Ti Aquatimer and the AR on that watch is like half of the PO. That said if the maker would have had a great version of the 42 I would have bought that - not that I'm sad about buying the gen. What I mean is that with a good base watch all you need is Chief's AR and a lume job and it would be real close - forget the hands and dial. The AR and lume will capture the essence of the gen watch which is what it is all aboutI am fortunate to have the cash to buy quite a lot of gens but that wasn't always the case and my heart is in the rep world. Here there is a passion for watches that the TZ guys don't have. Anyway, if I can get a rep of a watch with a few reasonable mods and make it gen like I will get the rep and not the gen. The latest BCE I just got comes to mind. The base watch is so good that it is hard to justify paying 5K for that watch when all you need is a datewheel and maybe a little better AR if you are picky. Back to the PO, I think the 45MM is a good base but the 42MM has too many issues. I would have got the 45MM and done the lume and AR but that size was just not my thing. The 42 is a whole different watch. Thanks for looking.

Nice RobbieG,,,I'm going with the orange bezel orange numbers,,,,but I like all of them. I ended up finding a great deal with an AD,,,just around 2520 (usd) new with the bracelet, my local AD wanted 3200. I should have it in a few days...so I'll post a few too.

Since we don't have a proper 42mm version, the best rep option now for the Planet Ocean fans is: UPO + aftermarket double AR + rubber strap.

I wouldn't mind getting one, because the strap balances the watch nicely. I'm not obsessed with AR generally, but double AR is essential on a PO.

@Robbie: Awesome gen. PO kicks Submariners ass in every possible way. Beautiful watch.

... and my heart is in the rep world. Here there is a passion for watches that the TZ guys don't have. Anyway...

I can't agree more than what you say here... I come from TZ (and still go there sometime) but I was caught by the spirit of help/hint and trick here...it's like a little family... I like this hobby ^_^

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just emailed a few dealers with some gentle prodding. Perhaps more forumers could send "reminders" as to how much we want this?

BTW, the other watch I'm itching for is an IWC Mark XVI.

Right now I have a gen Speedy Pro. I used to have the rep Pro, but the subdials spacing and lack of hour functionality killed it for me (the movement was beautiful, though). I also used to have an Asian Bond GMT, which I sold. I have found that I shouldn't jump the gun on watches just because I want a new watch. I also really want the new Speedy Date (beautiful watch, I debated getting the gen Speedy Pro or Date, went with the Pro, but to be honest I miss the date fxn sometimes).

In thinking about my perfect collection...

1. Gen Speedy Pro

2. 42mm Black/White PO

3. IWC Mark XVI

A chrono (an icon in the watch world), a new classic diver, and a dressy pilot's watch.... MAN OH MAN. Maybe when I get older (I'll be done with undergrad in a year) I can amass these watches. I can wait, but it's so hard. After watching some 007 movies I want a Bond SMP, too. Many of the board members whose opinions I respect have said they don't believe a 42mm UPO is coming out. I would love for them to be wrong, but they are so often right it discourages me.

Another big worry I have is that even the regular 42mm will be discontinued. Why the hell do they discontinue good watches (old factory SMP jumps to mind)? I can understand them gouging us repeatedly for slight improvements but with some inaccuracies (cough cough Sub) but to perfect it then take it away? That is cold and cruel. They need to stop focusing on these new OVERSIZED MONSTERS WITH CERAMIC WHATNOT for $500 and focus on the cheaper super watches that will sell in much higher quantities. I know they say that we are less than 1% of the market, but I'm sure that it's harder to sell $500 ceramic watches on street corners than a $150 non-chrono, non-ceramic, non-hublot rep, right?

Ahh. Frustrating this rep world is.

• 3 weeks later...

I am on the market for a 42mm UPO, and one that I can purchase in Europe.

I also would like to see the pseudo-he valve reworked so that the case watertightness is not compromised.

All in all, I would like that this UPO would have a WR of at least 200m and I believe this could be done: cases from a reputable german maker can have this WR and cost around