When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pam187 With Swiss Eta 7753 Movement

Chronus

I am going to respectfully contradict the prices always fall theory (at least for the same quality product). On the 7753 196 I must admit I was surprised to hear that they are in the $500 range. But even if they are, by the time they fell below $700 they were being made at a different factory and the quality (weight, accuracy to gen and overall quality) had fallen substantially. My Panda is woefully inadequate relative to my original 196. Hell, my Asian 196 has a far better case. I already see a difference in the latest pictures on the 187 with different date font, raised letter helium valve, etc. I just hoped it has not moved onto a new factory. The movement does stink though.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I already see a difference in the latest pictures on the 187 with different date font, raised letter helium valve, etc. I just hoped it has not moved onto a new factory. The movement does stink though.

Hmmm, interesting :g:

I jumped on EL's 7750 version for now (can always pass on should a 7753 rear its head), then a day later his 'new 187' photos go up and the datefont looks very different (thinner less gen-looking), so I rightly queried this with Eddie if there were indeed 2 versions?

"same....same maker" was Ed's reply.

I've come across information that there may be another watchmaker who may be prepared to do this with the 7753 movement, he may also take advice on what kind of hands are required. Perhaps I can see if they'll take finepics' datewheel font and use that too, if finepics is ok with that?

I'll make enquiries.

By the way, this will have to have a minimum order, I am asking about this but correspondence is not always quick.

I've come across information that there may be another watchmaker who may be prepared to do this with the 7753 movement, he may also take advice on what kind of hands are required. Perhaps I can see if they'll take finepics' datewheel font and use that too, if finepics is ok with that?

I'll make enquiries.

By the way, this will have to have a minimum order, I am asking about this but correspondence is not always quick.

:yeah::thumbsupsmileyanim::thumbsupsmileyanim::yeah:

Let me know if there are any inaccuracies in the current dial, and with the hands as well. Not sure if the cyclops is any good on it or if that can be fixed but I can ask about that too.

I've said that the watchonpo version has a great case with the correct weight and size and a great crystal.

Main reason for not wanting Asian7750/ETA7750 is the modification to move the dial locations as this can make it unreliable, as well as making the datewheel sit deeper.

The ETA7753 has the dial locations in the correct place with no modifications needed (as with the PAM188 and PAM196 reps that have previously used this movement). There are no datewheel depth problems, and the date corrector button on the side can be operational with this movement.

Will do.

Anyone else interested, let me know and post here.

The more demand, the quicker it can be sorted out and the quicker I'll have this! :bleh:

The quickset date pusher is a dummy on the current rep (but the date can be advanced using the intermediate crown position like a 7750).

There is no cyclops on the gen or rep to worry about but I cannot understand the diffierent date font as the rep movt makers usually print the datewheel to suit the watch!! The 7753 wheel I am making will not fit the 7750 so no go there. I am happy to provide my art work if needed.

Not sure what is wrong with the hands?

I was told that they could do custom hands if necessary. I'm not 100% sure what all the flaws are apart from the dummy button for the date change. Once that's working, I'm fine with the watchonpo case with the 7753 :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I'm definitely in for one as well. I'll probably pull the trigger on the asian version as well while waiting. Let's do this! :victory:

I was told that they could do custom hands if necessary. I'm not 100% sure what all the flaws are apart from the dummy button for the date change. Once that's working, I'm fine with the watchonpo case with the 7753 :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Do you know for a fact that Ken's case is different from EL's?

BTW, can you please move me from No.13 in your 7753 wanted list - hey, I'm superstitious ok :bicycle:

Just a small update.

I've been told the case used will be the watchonpo version (unless someone can tell me others are better?), and GENUINE AR coating will be applied to the sapphire crystal.

The problem for them will be the 7753, but that is the whole point of this. At present it is just decoration, but to get it working they need time. I've been told 2 weeks and it should be produced. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I'm trying to find price ranges and minimum number of buyers needed for this.

Anything anyone can suggest, please post here. :group:

Do you know for a fact that Ken's case is different from EL's?

If anyone knows, please say so! The "He" valve looks different to me. :g:

BTW, can you please move me from No.13 in your 7753 wanted list - hey, I'm superstitious ok :bicycle:

Number 13 is gone now! :group:

The HE valve on the two versions is different. On the first version it is etched. The etching is not as deep or thick as gen but the gen is etched. On the latest pics the He valve is actually "in relief" and sticks up. The first version is far closer. The 7753 with the Watchonpo case is the dream. I will be amazed if this is achievable at a price below $700.

Chronus-

If you are successful in moving ahead let me know. I have been talking with a certain watchsmith who has worked on a number of them and I can fill you in on all the little issues. None are a disaster but if the manufacturer/wholesaler is aware of them you may be able to head off future problems. I would have PM'ed you but your box is full.

Chronus-

If you are successful in moving ahead let me know. I have been talking with a certain watchsmith who has worked on a number of them and I can fill you in on all the little issues. None are a disaster but if the manufacturer/wholesaler is aware of them you may be able to head off future problems. I would have PM'ed you but your box is full.

I really need to archive my PMs!

Click email on my profile page, it'll be easier that way.

And don't everyone do that! I may not reply, I have too much in there already too. I hoard too much! :blink:

Updating the list of people who are interested.

I am intersted, but I feel that there is very little hope in getting the watch for <$800. Remember the 7750 with the Watchonpo case cost >$800 and this was without a $500 movement in it. The problem with these group buys is that people have been posting that they would be interested in the 187 if at a certain price. No real idea of the numbers who would actually buy the watch until the money is in the pot. And the manufacturer isn'y gonna start production until he has the money in his pockets. And then if there are any issues then all hell will break loose... i.e RWG Collaboration watch over at RWG1. Just my .02.

Eddy

I am intersted, but I feel that there is very little hope in getting the watch for <$800. Remember the 7750 with the Watchonpo case cost >$800 and this was without a $500 movement in it. The problem with these group buys is that people have been posting that they would be interested in the 187 if at a certain price. No real idea of the numbers who would actually buy the watch until the money is in the pot. And the manufacturer isn'y gonna start production until he has the money in his pockets. And then if there are any issues then all hell will break loose... i.e RWG Collaboration watch over at RWG1. Just my .02.

Eddy

I've asked how many, but it seems like they will produce a few first and then we'll see what happens. At the very least I would expect the true 100% confirmed 187 fans to get theirs... probably people like me, thomasng, kruzer and finepics. At least I know these 4 are 100% to pay and get theirs.

If it's that small a run and they don't think it will be viable, they'll probably just stick in an Asian 7750 copy or Swiss ETA 7750 and sell at a lower price - but remember no working date corrector, and they are modified movements, which to me is always a question mark.

We'll see how it goes. I hope for the best :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Ah and I better not forget panerailord , he is nuts about PAMs so I think he'll be going for it too ^_^