When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pam187 With Swiss Eta 7753 Movement

Chronus

Like many I suspect, I'd like to see if there's a realistic possibility of a 7753 first - so look forward to hearing one way or another!

If not, then a cut-price 7750 will have to do for now.

Sadly, this is not something I can do "for now" :(

It's 7753 or 7750... another 7-800 on a 7753 is far too much for me, I could have got a genuine Omega for the combined sum!

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly, this is not something I can do "for now" :(

It's 7753 or 7750... another 7-800 on a 7753 is far too much for me, I could have got a genuine Omega for the combined sum!

OK let me clarify...

I'm a little confused, lots of people talking about a 7753 version, some say they'd like, some say it's coming soon, some say it's being offered NOW in Japan/TW wherever, and of course the dealers say 'no, no 7753, not heard anything'.

My point was, I'm not really sure what to believe, if the 7753 is all a myth then I'll get the 7750 (and pray and not touch the chrono ^_^ ).

Does anyone have anything beyond rumour, conjecture, or wishful thinking???

I'm just figuring out how many are interested and listing them here, that way we can go to a dealer and say "X" amount of people are interested in getting one with an ETA 7753 movement. I'm also including finepics as he has said in the past that he is interested:

00 Chronus

01 thomasng

02 kruzer00

03 finepics

04 cwai02

05 Willith

06 4fun

07 laryea

08 olreon

09 cskent69

10 swemoose

11 M5Man

12 insane (dependent upon price)

14 Bignasty

15 gdaddy

16 Dario33 (dependent upon price)

17 jwrong

18 linkukbora

19 Nebakanezzar

20 speedy1

21 butterfly777

22 reprep

23 promotersf

24 DRVJA (under 700USD)

25 SportsPg

26 panerailord

27 RENOST

28 ehtolcad

29 sevomd

30 indenial

31 Chicken Manny

32 titoune11299

33 docblackrock (?)

34 watcher (?)

35 arska

I count a potential 35 people interested so far, and this post has only been up today. Hopefully we can reach the magic 25+ number soon... I'd love to get it soon if it is truly available. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

edit: question mark removed from no.15 and 17

edit: for extra people added

edit: no 13 removed

edit: (10-Jan-07) added arska; I wonder how many will still be interested after waiting so long?

Edited by Chronus

7753 is worth the wait for me, the 7750 has had too many issues. My question is why can we make the 187 and not the 194? I would much rather have the 194 and not have to deal with all the chrono issues. ;)

Willith - as always, we are in complete agreement. The 194 is a much more attractive, much more sensible watch. I mean, who really needs a stopwatch on their wrist? Just posing.

However, if it had a useful complication... like a GMT hand... then it would become really desirable.

Arktos GMT, anyone? :lol:

You can remove the question mark by my name. I'm interested. I'll sell my in transith asian 187 if necessary!

Jon

Done.

Put my name on the list for the 7753.

Done.

Willith - as always, we are in complete agreement. The 194 is a much more attractive, much more sensible watch. I mean, who really needs a stopwatch on their wrist? Just posing.

However, if it had a useful complication... like a GMT hand... then it would become really desirable.

147 anyone? :bleh:

Seriously, I would love the Arktos GMT as well, and especially the 47mm 194 in titanium. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

The only 194 I have seen so far is in stainless steel and 44mm with the Arktos back and a 21 jewel Asian automatic movement!

Clive, you and your GMT's, how many you have now? ;) You interested in an Airman 7? You can track 4 different time zones on that baby. :thumbsupsmileyanim: When did you start to agree with me so much? ;):yu:

I wonder why the rep makers are all over the 187, when they could make a 194 much easier and still get the number of sales they are for the 187 and maybe more because the cost would be much less. I guess they are afraid of the date mag issues. ;)

Put a 7753 in it, keep it under $700 and, just as important, put THE RIGHT DATEWHEEL FONT on it and I'm very, very in. No point in having a perfectly sized/spaced datewheel if the font is still wrong. Having said all that, I still may pull the trigger on EL's latest. Ed's a good guy.

Edited by Virgil Hilts

I wonder why the rep makers are all over the 187, when they could make a 194 much easier and still get the number of sales they are for the 187 and maybe more because the cost would be much less. I guess they are afraid of the date mag issues. ;)

I think there are a few reasons;

i) The Asian 7750b1 can be used for this movement, minus chrono functions as the Arktos has, but would command a lower price than a fully functional chrono.

ii) The 187 is a popular model wanted by many (as seen by sales by watchonpo at those ridiculously high prices - my opinion only).

iii) Rep manufacturers seem reluctant to work with titanium as they have in the past. The Breitling Avenger Seawolf is out of production (Chrono Avenger to follow?), as is the IWC GST Chrono in titanium. The old version of the PAM192 in titanium is also out of production and is now brushed (or bead-blasted) stainless steel.

Personally I would prefer more titanium reps as I am having an allergic reaction to the nickel in stainless steel during these hotter months in the summer.

I would think that they could get these into lower price ranges, but it will take a few months of everyone to cool off and for them to finally make more than a few of them. Who would have thought a few months ago we would see a ~$300 PAM187? Sure, when the 7753 comes out it will command a higher price, but in a few months we'll see them in the ~$300 range too (maybe a little higher for that movement, but you get the idea). ;) The only thing that is bad with getting the first or even second run of some of these watches are you pay a HUGE price to be the first to get one and you also get all the flaws. By the time they get to the 2nd or even 3rd version they are 1/2 the price and 100% improved in the flaws. I jumped on a few first run watches and found myself with a watch I couldn't trade for 1/4 of what I got for it new. I would hope that if they used the 7753 movement they would take the new version of the 187 case and dial and just stick in the 7753 movement, but we all know that would make too much sense for our "workers" across the way from us. ;) It would be nice for that to happen because we wouldn't have to go through all the growing pains of other first run watches and then it might be worth the price tag. :whistling:

I'd be in but let me give a few pointers about my own 187 (which is now running a gen 7753 but re-configured back into a 7750 using some asian parts. I did this because the movt was no good as a 7753 as I had ruined the datewheel experimenting and they are unobtainable as a spare). It comes supplied with a crappy plastic movt ring that looks like it a bit of grey drainpipe cut off with a hacksaw - I am not kidding either. Some have not had movt clamp screws. The bezel markers are screwed on from underneath just like the gen and really annoyingly the bezel does not quite line up with the 12. Also mine came with the outer O ring missing although Ken did supply some new ones.

With the price of the 7753 movt retailing at almost $500 it's not hard to see why this ugly brute would be selling aroound the $700 mark. The 196/188 did when they first appeared and i took a while before they came down the the $500 range.