When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ralph Lauren buys fake Rolexes

Pugwash

The interesting part is that he's waaaay into the vintages, his collection is legendary, you'd think the mannequin would be sporting a Bond Sub or something.

You think they could have at least sized the bracelet to fit the Mannequin.

But really, it's not uncommon to use props and reps of all kinds in window displays, the TV's and stereos are usually fake as well.

Rolex themselves has fakes in the front window of their NYC store for security reasons, although better fakes than that -

How long do you think a gen Rolex would last sitting in a shop window with nothing to protect it but a plate of glass and a mannequin? I would guess less than a day......if that long.

Ralph Lauren is a very avid watch collector (especially vintage Rolexes), which is why they often include Rolex watches when promoting the Lauren lifestyle & brand.

Rolex themselves has fakes in the front window of their NYC store for security reasons, although better fakes than that -

I really doubt that ROLEX put rep in there front window store...

in movie, yes, but certainly not in ROLEX store :lol:

It can be an empty watch w/o mtv like, but fake? come on...and if it's the case, I want to know where they bought them, Andrew? Josh? Angus ? ... :rofl:

Yes I would think they use dummy watches like they do with the mobile phones. It can't be a replica if it's made by Rolex themselves! That said I saw a link for an auction with bits and peices of Rolex shop window dressing and the prices they fetched were incredible so the dummy watches in the Rolex display could be worth more than the real thing at auction

I wonder what stance Mr Lauren would take if someone were to replicate his garments...

Awesome find, and, as mentioned above, a gen would've probably equalled a window bricking... That said, I'm surprized the rep hasn't had the same results... Either rep standards are slipping, or folks are more keyed up to reps than we give them credit for :lol:

Awesome find, and, as mentioned above, a gen would've probably equalled a window bricking... That said, I'm surprized the rep hasn't had the same results... Either rep standards are slipping, or folks are more keyed up to reps than we give them credit for :lol:

You'd be surprised. In Merchant City, Glasgow, there are a few purveyors of fancy goods and smash-and-grab isn't a problem.

Oh, and I honestly don't think it's Ralph Lauren policy to buy reps for display. One shop doesn't demonstrate a corporate policy. ;)

You'd be surprised. In Merchant City, Glasgow, there are a few purveyors of fancy goods and smash-and-grab isn't a problem.

Well, if it's in 'the nice part of town', that makes all the difference ;)

Oh, and I honestly don't think it's Ralph Lauren policy to buy reps for display. One shop doesn't demonstrate a corporate policy. ;)

Indeed, but that illustrates something even more disturbing... A maverick manager who treats the store like their own, rather than following Company Protocol ;) Unless it's an Indy Boutique that carries the range... They're a law unto themselves :lol:

Its retarded to put what people think is a 5000 dollar watch in a window. Just give him a regular watch... its a clothing store, nobody interested in buying RL clothes is gonna give a crap what watch the mannequin is wearing.

I disagree completely. Ralph Lauren built his clothing business (more of an empire) on a lifestyle -- The Ralph Lauren Lifestyle, which epitomizes traditional luxury. And Lauren has always been associated with Rolex, Mercedes & similarly traditional luxury brands. Fitting a Swatch or Seiko, although both are quality brands, to 1 of his mannequin's wrists would not promote the image that RL is trying to infer.