When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I Need Help To Choose My 1st Genuine Pam

V

WHat do you prefer?  

134 members have voted

1. 1. from the following?

• 111H
    • 112H
    • 000 Base logo
    • 005 logo

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
How can you pick a fav out of 4 terrific and excellent first PAMS? If you are anything like most of the members, you will be happy with anyone of them. Choose wisely grasshopper...

It would also hade been wise for you to read all the thread and see that I got the 112 ;)

Just kidding.. I have the watch for 6 months its my daily beater and I am very happy with it.

It would also hade been wise for you to read all the thread and see that I got the 112 ;)

Just kidding.. I have the watch for 6 months its my daily beater and I am very happy with it.

How do you like the manual wind as a daily wearer? I've always thought the 177H would be my first, but the manual movement might bother me day in and day out. Recently the 86 has caught my eye - automatic, anthracite dial, but a somewhat awkward looking silver sub dial (which I've learned to like).

How do you like the manual wind as a daily wearer? I've always thought the 177H would be my first, but the manual movement might bother me day in and day out. Recently the 86 has caught my eye - automatic, anthracite dial, but a somewhat awkward looking silver sub dial (which I've learned to like).

I was like you and prefered automatic movements.. After some time though i started to like more the manual wind..

You wind it the morning and then it lasts for 2 days..

The automatic needs a watchwinder or be active throughout the day to power it. You can wind it as well but it is not recommended for automatic watches to wind them often.

Eh?

Is this not right? I think I ve seen it on the Paneristi.. a guy was saying that the Panerai service suggested him not to wind frequently his automatic Pam...

I think The Zigmeister said something about it in a topic somewhere between his reviews...

I think The Zigmeister said something about it in a topic somewhere between his reviews...

If this is indeed the case, I will sit corrected. I wasn't aware of any issues with winding automatics, especially as this is unavoidable on some of them when screwing the crown back in. :blink:

Ok, here is the word from The Zigmeister:

Automatic movements.

There are two basic types of automatic watches, those that wind in both directions, and those that wind in one direction.

Uni-directional winding movements

all Asian models are unidirectional (at least the ones I have seen). Included in this is the Asian or ETA 7750, it’s a unidirectional model.

You can safely wind uni-directional models with the crown, because the automatic winding clutch is a click spring ratchet wheel, and is not prone to damage from hand winding.

Bi-directional models

ETA’s and most Swiss models, 2824-2, 2836-2, 2892-2, etc…

You can hand wind a bi-directional model, as long as you do so slowly, these models have automatic winding clutch wheels with click levers that will be damaged by fast or repeated windings.

There is no such thing as “Over-winding a watch” so forget that notion.

Ok, here is the word from The Zigmeister:

Ok.. so i was right.. i was quite sure i read it on psti and since the genuine panerais are bi-directional models it is true that winding daily may damage them in the future.