When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Wanted to share pictures of a football strap I made

old skool

This strap was listed for sale and sold in a couple hours of posting if you can believe it. I wanted to share some pictures here because I was really excited about how it turned out. I made this out of a football. It used up most of the football.

080531%20RED12straps-004%20[800x600].JPG

080531%20RED12straps-003%20[800x600].JPG

080531%20RED12straps-001%20[800x600].JPG

080531%20RED12straps-002%20[800x600].JPG

I was inspired to do this after someone requested a custom football strap for their project watch:

080430%20RED12straps-006%20[800x600].JPG

It was an interesting challenge to get the look of the football stitch on this strap.

I have always been inspired by pictures of various baseball glove straps. I hope to make one of those in the near future as well. In fact, this has inspired me to work on a project 1950 style watch. I've always loved the look of text as a graphic. And making a strap out of something that used to be something else is cool to me as well.

What do you think?

Beautiful and desirable strap ...you are on to something. Perhaps you could make a series of straps from used sporting equip and balls. I am thinking basketballs and soccer balls and rugby balls.

I never thought about that. I wonder if that is possible...

Just so everyone isn't under a false impression that oldskool came up with this idea.

Here are the football straps I made 3 months prior:

IMG_2870_2_1.jpg

IMG_2872_4_1.jpg

I don't mind people copying my ideas (the whole imitation is the most sincere form of flattery deal), but he could have at least changed it a little. I think this speaks volumes to the type of person old skool is.

Just so everyone isn't under a false impression that oldskool came up with this idea.

IMG_2870_2_1.jpg

IMG_2872_4_1.jpg

I don't mind people copying my ideas (the whole imitation is the most sincere form of flattery deal), but he could have at least changed it a little. I think this speaks volumes to the type of person old skool is.

Well, they say that nothing's new under the sun, and I seem to recall football and basketball straps on Europelli's site last year.

Who knows who first cottoned onto this concept, but I like the idea of recyling old leather items, whether sporting or otherwise; in fact, as soon as I can source a vintage baseball mitt, I'll be looking for a skilled strapmaker to do something creative with it (note that this is not my idea, Aaron did a fantastic one-off last year from a Wilson Ball Hawk).

Well, they say that nothing's new under the sun, and I seem to recall football and basketball straps on Europelli's site last year.

While that may be true.... it's not very accurate. Europelli used new football grained leather. Anyone can get this type of leather. It's in stock at many leather suppliers.

Mine was an authentic NFL commisoner signed football from the 70's (I don't 'think' old skool's is authentic). A friend of my dad's had season tickets and caught this ball during a Saints game. So Europelli's and mine are not at all the "same". However, you can see just how much old skool copied my design.

Very nice straps in general but still I cannot understand what's the connection with the Panerai brand. I think they do not fit well as a concept.

Ammo yes.. but baseball straps? Do they play baseball in Italy? :p

Very nice straps in general but still I cannot understand what's the connection with the Panerai brand. I think they do not fit well as a concept.

Ammo yes.. but baseball straps? Do they play baseball in Italy? :p

I think people just like them. There is no connection between Metta and Panerai, but people like those.

I think people just like them. There is no connection between Metta and Panerai, but people like those.

Well that's not the same.. The Metta is just a very interesting kind of hide not signifying anything.

The baseball hide is some kind of an american symbol. The south flag is ok on top of Duke's Dodge Charger but would be ridicilous on top of a Ferrari. ;)

Not to make waves, and, old skool's straps may well have been inspired by tootal's designs, but, personally, I think old skool's straps look nicer. I admit, the stitching obscures some of the lettering, but I think having the keepers with the printing on, is 'the icing on the cake'.

Inspired by, definitely, but enough personal input/innovation to be worthy of praise in their own right, and I don't think that says anything 'about the sort of person' old skool is, but more about tootal, for taking umbrage over a re-interpretation of an artistic idea, when, as he mentioned, immitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Awesome straps all round guys, lets take personalities out of the equasion, and appreciate the straps for the crafted art they are :)

PS

I really like old skool's strap with the 'football stitching' and off-set holes and tongue :)

Peace out.

IMG_2870_2_1.jpg

IMG_2872_4_1.jpg

Ha ha. Shoot. That's pretty similar isn't it? ;) Oh well you know how it goes.

Yeah well before everyone gets into a who did what first kind of thing, let's just respect everyone's effort. I mean when it comes to anything outside the typical, I think Delaurian has done most of it first including making straps out of actual baseball gloves.

Well anyway, back to the "controversy." :D