When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

OK - Enough Talk about the new GMTII-C!

hiker01

If the new seadweller is made it will be from pics, this I am told .. so not on my top 5 hit list .. I'm going to be happy with the 116710 for a while anyway :D

with the strides in the quality of reps they would regress going back to pics to replicate a timepiece.. although I'll never say never.. not for now anyway.. :rolleyes:

Lani,

You're right! I just confirmed that from our source! This does not sound good, but the manufacturers have always manage to pull out some tricks from their

magic bag! I hope it's something worth replacing the classic!!! Another thing for me is, if I can't dive with it, then I'm sticking with the classic!

Nuff said!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing I will say about this design is the "double bezel" look is a throwback to designs from the 60s and 70s, which I've always been fond of. Here's a watch I own. The new Breil Manta is actually OK if you search for a picture, but they need to go back to the old style bezel/rehaut.

post-2537-1212527238_thumb.jpg

To me... The gen just screams quality. Seen it at Baselworld. Pictures doesn't do justice to this watch. The dial doesn't look small at all.

It looks Breitlingish IMHO. You get better deal in genuine Avenger Seawolf Ti.

If money is not a problem, this SD is for you.

I'm surprising myself by almost liking that watch. Apart from the engraving that is. I wonder if Rolex really checked out the connotations of "Ring Lock System". Down here "Ring" means two things, a circle made from metal is only one of them... I'm not sure a description of sado masochism equipment for consenting gay men is quite what they had in mind!!

If they do a decent rep I'll probably buy one.. but that engraving has an appointment with the lathe before its getting worn in public.

But, come on, a good old SD is classier, isn't it.

Yes. No contest there.

Not to mention the Sub, which is just a huge step backwards, design wise. The only nice looking new watch Rolex has produced is the ceramic GMT, and even that has no spirit or feeling left from the original GMT. It's completely new watch.

I'm just terrified to think how they're going to screw up the Explorer II next, and Daytona. The YMII is probably in the top-5 most awful looking luxury watches ever produced.

The bigger Day-Date might be an improvement, but I prefer the sports models anyway.

Deep Sea? Not interested. I already have the SteelFish SuperOcean, which represents the perfect bulky diver watch design in my collection.

You're probably right Robert. The new DeepSea will probably look impressive in the flesh, much better than in the pictures. And it's probably also very hi-tech watch technically, and impressive in many ways.

Maybe I'll change my mind when I see better pictures of it.

the classic design of the Rolex will live forever.. it just looks like they are trying to bring in a new generation ... for the new generation of buyers .. the baby boomers are fading out.. and the techno generation wants more flash for the cash .. so to speak...

like the rolexrolexrolex printing all over the place.. "by the way is that a Rolex ?" ... "oh yes..he Say's contritely... how could you tell ?"... "umm I noticed the rolex name engraved wall to wall .....and you still have the tag on it by the way" ..."oh.. that's for some quick wrist shots to show that it's a Rolex".. :p

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

dsea_2.jpg

your kidding right ???.. this is the 1950 "Deep Sea" this was the precursor to the Submariner .. i stand to be correted.. but I posted a pic of this on another thread.. this was by a Frwnch deaigner.. who wanted a ocean watch that could be worn as a dress watch .. in 1950 no less.. this is.... :o RARE..... ok so how did you do the image trick ?? :D

A friend of mine just got the Gen. It is the nicest Rolex I've seen. Just a standout watch. Much nicer in person.

Are you talking about the new Rolex Deepsea? Last I heard, it was not hitting the ADs until fall or towards the end of the year. How did your friend score 1 so soon? And I hope you will be posting some new pics of the watch here.

I just read the description on the Rolex site......The watch is self is very impressive, especially if you don't look at it:p I like that new extension clasp. Titanium/steel back.....synthetic domed sapphire....very cool. Looks like they would have quite a tough time replicating this one. Maybe they should try to look at the patent drawings and rep it off of that and we could see one before the AD's do. Now that would be cool.

I like the old dwellers better.

To each his own.

Yup! +1 here.

I'm pretty ready to pull the trigger on the SSD... and at the same time, I will go with the new GMT II 50th anniv...but I still hesitate... I'm afraid about the GMT mvt, time bomb mvt <_<

I personally think the engravings won't be nearly as visible when the watch is real size on your wrist.. we get so used to looking at 10x blown up macro shots which show every last tiny detail. I'm often surprised when I visit the AD to see a watch I haven't seen before.. they all seem so tiny, especially the display backs.

I expect the watch itself to feel a lot like a Planet ocean, due to the curves and the huge curved crystal. Slight ironic after all these years to see Rolex copy Omega though.

I personally think the engravings won't be nearly as visible when the watch is real size on your wrist..

Your call

deepseawrist.jpg

Personally, I think it would look great with swim fins & a snorkel (or SCUBA gear). But with street clothes, especially a suit, not so much. It looks too D-i-c-k T-r-a-c-y & not in a good way.

Edited by freddy333