When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex 1655, Steve Mc Queen: Gathering informations

Stephane

:wub:

Rolex 1655 "Mc Queen"

Oli1655_800_01.jpg

Dear All,

As I often say, I feel like a permanent Noob and when it comes to this baby, I feel like I'll be a Noob forever :blink: .

Here above is a photo of RepAustria's one.

Here under are Dlludy and TMG's beauties :thumbsupsmileyanim:

If I could own such a good version I would really be happy :D .

The purpose of my thread is to gather as much opinions and information as possible from the happy owners of a high end 1655 rep so who ever among us want to start their own project they can make a decision and choose their route.

TMG's

TMG1655_800_01.jpg

Dlludy's

Don1655_800_01.jpg

RepAustria's

Pls note that if I remember well, the bezel is genuine.

Oli1655_800_02.jpg

Were to start

According to some members, a good one can be build from mixing two "average reps" (Josh/Andrew plus...in example) and adding gen parts from all over the internet.

Some others would prefer to go Phong/NDT for the Vietnamese route. But then, would a ETA fit such a case ?

What is your experience, what is your advice ?

Cheers

Stephane

PS: I have stolen your photos guys, if you have any problem with it, feel free to let me know :unsure:

Good idea Stephane! I don't know much about this watch, either. I only know that Steve McQueen never wore the Explorer II, still this model is called "McQueen" which is a bit weird. I also know that both red/orange and yellow 24h hands are accurate for this watch.

Well anyway... how about some gen pics for reference:

Dscn9289.jpg

Dscn9290.jpg

116_163850.jpg

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Great idea for a thread Stephane, :thumbsupsmileyanim: my thoughts recently have been running along similar lines, with this model, but also a no-date sub.

The 'vintage' itch has kicked in....

Let's keep this one on the 1655 though ;)

Good idea Stephane! I don't know much about this watch, either. I only know that Steve McQueen never wore the Explorer II, still this model is called "McQueen" which is a bit weird. I also know that both red/orange and yellow 24h hands are accurate for this watch.

Well anyway... how about some gen pics for reference:

Thanks BT, great idea.

Pls bear in mind there were several versions in gens according to what I heard...

OK, here is what I know after having researched and gone through the process.

Joshua's 1655:

-Uses the 16570 Explorer II case and seems larger than the genuine case (although I never held a genuine)

-Case has no lug holes

-Dial 24hr markers need to be extended to end of dial (this is true of all rep dials and clearly outlined by RepAustria)

-Dial has "Swiss Made" at the bottom instead of correct T Swiss T or T Swiss < 25 T

-Comes on a standard solid Oyster link bracelet with Oyster locking Clasp (incorrect)

-Bezel has Thin (later generation) marking Font

-Has Dot Seconds Hand

-Hour and minute hands have too thick of a Lume surface area

-GMT Hand is Brighter Orange

-Caseback is raised and brushed center (incorrect)

-Incorrect case markings (16570)

-Should take a genuine T-116 but I didn't test this because I liked the Trusty case and dial better so not an option.

Trusty's 1655:

-Uses a smaller profile and diameter case (closer to genuine IMO)

-Case has Lug Holes

-Dial has T Swiss T and is smaller than Joshua's dial

-Has Stick Seconds Hand

-Hour and Minute Hands have too thick of a lume surface area

-GMT Hand is muted Orange (closer to aged genuine IMO)

-Comes on hollow link bracelet with correct logo clasp

-Bezel has thinker font and is smaller diameter than Joshua

-Caseback is polished like genuine

-Correct 16550 case markings

-Does not take a genuine T-116 as the inside diameter is too large on genuine crystal.

There is also a claimed to be MBW 1655 I looked into from Paso but IMO, it was no different than Joshua's version and much more expensive ($200 more)

Neil has just showed a 21J Noob variant and I have no information on this one but from first glance it looks similar in size to Joshua's and comes on a Rep rivet bracelet with rep 501B marked endlinks.

What I did try and what Ziggy did to achieve my 1655:

-Used the smaller lug hole case from Trusty

-Drilled Lug holes to accept genuine springbars.

-Used genuine 501B end links from RepAustria.

-Ziggy vintage lume and extension of 24Hr markers to end of dial

-Replaced Hour and Seconds hands with genuine Omega Flightmaster hands ala TMG (See his wonderful post on his Franken from his Signature link)

What I might do later:

-Replace crown with genuine 6MM crown and tube

-Replace rep bracelet with genuine 7836 folded like TMG did

I have allready done a 1655 NDT Case for BertieNg.

Hope we will see the whole watch in the future.

BTW I must drill the Lugholes on the NDT Case.

I thought they where made 1-1 to the real Deal?

Made to fit a gen movement but not 1-1

• Like 1

I have allready done a 1655 NDT Case for BertieNg.

Hope we will see the whole watch in the future.

BTW I must drill the Lugholes on the NDT Case.

I thought they where made 1-1 to the real Deal?

Made to fit a gen movement but not 1-1

That is a very valuable information then.

What is the point to put 1 or 1.5 K for a non 1:1 case ...in this case :o

great thread! it sparked my interest in this model.

and with NDT!

If you think having to drill proper hole sizes is a problem.... how about no lug holes at all in their 1016 version of a case! For $850, what are they thinking?

CaseRolex1016_01_LRG.jpg

Ah the 1655, a long-admired friend of mine. I'm fortunate enough to have been able to handle a gen on several occasions, and all I can say is this... :drool:

Sadly, aside from spunking an obscene amount of money on a Viet case, there's no alternative that can accept gen parts, but as the guys have shown here, you can get a very decent chimaera that's aesthetically halfway there.

Oh and one rep version Don has omitted here is this from Honpo:

1655ssle6.jpg

Hi all,

A watch near and dear to my heart. Just my 2 cents since I've purchased 3 1655's; the TTK "MBK", TT's Top Grade Vintage (ROLVIN007) and Swiss ETA (ROLEXP2002) model.

If you have the budget to buy two watches to cannibalize I'd suggest getting the supposed MBK model and Andrew's model. I don't know if either has the correct case thickness -never handled a gen, to my eyes it seems thicker than a 1675. I didn't use anything from the TT (ROLVIN007) model since the bezel proportions seemed small to me except for the caseback. The caseback looked the best and has the correct markings but probably not worth buying just for a caseback.

"MBK"

Pros

-IMO the best rep 1655 dial as the outer indices extend very close to the rehaut and only need a touchup to make them perfect, also has the T Swiss T which is correct for early straight second hand models

-Case/bezel proportions are very good

-The bezel also has the thicker font on it than the other offerings

-Accepts gen crystal

-Nice shaped CG's

Cons

-No drilled through lug holes

-Wrong case markings 116570

-Stubby Orange Hand

Trusty Time's

Pros

-Nice long Orange Hand

-Accepts gen crystal

-Nice shaped CG's

-Case/bezel proportions are very good

-1655 case marking

-Optional early model straight hand

Cons

-Glossy dial

-Case at least has lug holes drilled on the outside of the case. One catch is they don't go all the way through and the inner holes do not line up with the outer :huh: (I know, how lame is that!). It's still better to have a faux hole on the lug than none at all. I have yet to tackle that problem on my 1655.

All this still adds up to less than the $1000 just for the NDT 1655 case alone.

Excellent info guys.

I'm quite amazed how well people have done their homework. Looks like many people have similar obsession with the McQueen as I have with 16710 and modern ExpII. This kind of thread makes RWG what it is. Great stuff!

IMHO the purpose of a Viet caseis only to get a 1575GMT installed. Drop in a nice redial or a gen dial and a gen hands set. You will be able to source a genuine modern RSC replacement bezel for your watch at 200-300$. The NDT has the correct serials with correct technique, stamped caseback and correct crown position. It also has the scew cutout for the 1575GMT. If you have the cash, go for it. If you don't, or can't justify it, stick wiht MBK/Trusty style stuff. We are talking about a several K$ difference here. As when you have a good base, why would you install bad secondary parts.

Would you put some Steel Rims on your Ferrari?

after lost a lot of time modding case ....from some time i prefer to take vietnam case and to accept to make only few mods....

if many people calculate the cost of all the mods to make starting from a worst case (and to have a worst result),this cost could be so next to the vientnam case cost that all become to easy to decide....

more...

i have found many franken arround.... but none is so close to the gens as the Phong ...

M

(sorry for my bad english)

I think I'd go with Trusty's. I've had 2 of his (both had bad movements but that's another story) and it seems like a good starting point. The dial is pretty good and a little vintaging and a coat of "Dull Coat", it should look great.

I really love the 1655 but after actually seeing one....it is a b!tch to tell what time it is at a glance.

• 1 month later...
Looks great togasa!

Here's a good gen reference photo.

1655grore3.jpg

Thanks@!

I have so-called rolex bible book and it says that there were 2 types of fonts used for 1655. The dial in your photo was used in the 70's and the one on mine was used in 80's. i'll take some pic later and post them.

happy wkend

Very nice togasa, very nice indeed :drool:

If you sell that franken, you'll have a lot of interest without doubt. That minty fresh lume is exactly how I like it.

'Tis a pity though that it lacks either of my two other favourite features of 1655 variants, ones I've seen in the flesh/metal on gens.......the early straight secs hand, or the later 'rail' dial.