When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Want to build a 1675

polexpete

Pete, I hope this isn't thread crapping but your post is great. I just wanted to add a little of what I've done since we have parallel projects going. I eagerly await to see your redial from MY.

Not at all, this project is far more interesting with us both trying to achieve the same goal. Your advice and experience has been priceless to me and others i'm sure.

bravo! great job. The case and bezel look awesome. My dial is now with MY. I eagerly await too but you know Micheal....

P.

DSCN5255.jpg

Nice work, all.

TMG - I really like what you have done with your 1675, but I think you need to 'antique' it a bit. As it is, the watch looks too pristine, which, for this model, is not a benefit. If you gave it the 'Nanuq treatment' (a few minutes of accelerated motion (shaking) within a jar filled with coinage), it would just about have fooled me (even with the over enthusiastically countersunk lug holes).

Something I just noticed -- Definitely, a VERY small detail, but I thought I would mention it -- The division between red & blue at the 18 in the bezel insert may not be at the right spot. I think division on the gen insert occurs right in the middle of the number & yours is just prior to the 8. One of the parts sellers has better inserts for this model, but I cannot remember who it was?

How is it that the crown sits up so high? I thought this was a problem when using an ETA movement. The crown is usually too low. It would seem the crown is in about the right place. What other accuracy issues would there be with a case/watch of this type. I am looking for an older style rep and this looks like a good one.

Guest porsche356a

I remember less than 4 years ago the Gens were in the sub $2600s. I shouldve swiped these then. These projects are making me :drool: Phenomenal work Gents! Now these are vintages I can love. Very functional. I may have to embark into one of these projects in the near future. :v:

Thank you for the kind words Pete, Ubi and 356!

Freddy, I do have more "weathering" planned for it. Funny, but it is actually more aged than it photographed. I guess its my lighting.

I have a Wholesaleoutlet insert aged for it but have been too lazy to file down the underside of it to get it to fit in the bezel. I've also gone back and forth about changing it since I like the thicker font on the stock bezel which you see on the earlier 1675's. I've also noticed vintage examples with the drifting "6" and "18" on the bezel. Perhaps those are also aftermarket inserts??? -who knows with vintage Rolex :wacko:

1675-3_1milSNsold1976-german_navy-1.jpg

1675-69sn-III61-ExPt-tomvox1.jpg

Borrowed from VRF

How is it that the crown sits up so high? I thought this was a problem when using an ETA movement. The crown is usually too low. It would seem the crown is in about the right place. What other accuracy issues would there be with a case/watch of this type. I am looking for an older style rep and this looks like a good one.

GPL,

I think the mvmt sits higher since the case is thinner.

The bezel is the other part that is way off, it has the shape of a sub bezel, the GMT bezel is much thinner and the cuts are oriented on the outside of the bezel not the top such as on a sub. I find the lugs a bit thin too and somewhat bulbous shaped but this Silix offering seems the be the best starting point for a budget 1675.

Look at TMG's two pics in post #31- those are gens, but maybe aftermarket bezels- look at the dial- "Oyster Perpetual", not "Oyster Perpetuall Date" like in the rep dials. thats the main flaw in the rep dials- wrong wording w/ the addition of "Date".

Flat-top three is anpther telll in the date window- rarely copied by reps.

How does that watch compare to this one: Link

GPL, the crown guards are much too thin and shaped like a sub, look at the cg's of the center photo I posted of a gen, they're a very different square shape.

Alligoat noted the main flaw with all 1675 reps, which is the dial wording.

Pete, I hope this isn't thread crapping but your post is great. I just wanted to add a little of what I've done since we have parallel projects going. I eagerly await to see your redial from MY.

I also softened the case edges to hide the slightly bulbous shape to the case sides that you notice the most on the lugs where they join the case -if that makes sense.

Thin case shot and sanded down crystal profile

DSCN5089.jpg

With the shaved/thinned down bezel on a lathe

DSCN5255.jpg

Bezel reaming cuts are almost nonexistent after the shaving of the bezel. I haven't decided how to tackle that one yet.

You'll also notice I went a little crazy with the countersink on the lug holes on this side of the case :bangin:

DSCN5256.jpg

DSCN5295.jpg

S.... great looking pieces together... :D

the 1675 is definately on my project list.... on another note.. the 1655 is almost all sourced... I think the end of summer or just before fall should see it come together..

Thanks Lani! And congrats again on the Snowflake dial and hands.

Bruce, here's your photo and mine side by side (gen on top). I think the Silix 1675 has a spot on crown position, except the gen has the tiny 5mm crown.

1675.jpg

DSCN5256.jpg